1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

water filters questions?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by freyasman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. freyasman

freyasman Monkey

I have a question about water filters; I have been reading up and I keep getting conflicting reviews. I live, literally, on the banks of the Cumberland River, so I have unlimited water.... I just have to filter it. For backpacking, or a bug-out, I would use a Katadyn filter, but to shelter in place, due to a power outage or storm, I was thinking Big Berkey. Amazon has so many conflicting reviews, I don't know what to think, can anyone help?
  2. bountyhunter

bountyhunter Monkey+

i bought a big berky and i love it. I use it daily,filter all drinking/dish washing and cooking water,and im on "city water" at present time. The place ive bought in Mo has well yipppeee
  3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Do a search here. Lots of opinions from people who depend on them. A while back, they had issues with their filters. I think that has been fixed.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

There are some excellent threads on Potable Water, and filtration, in the Off-Grid forum... Written by Colt Carbine (Our Resident Plumbing Expert) that you might want to look at.... .... YMMV....
  5. Ajax

Ajax Monkey++

I am happy with my BigBerky system.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Cumberland River where??
    For me 49°15'30."N 124°35'40."W 100M above datum, the Cumberland River is just over the next bump.
    Filtering out deer / bear / eagle /fish poo ? if your far enough up the river.
    There is a bottle water filling area plus a booze factory on 2 other streams of either side of the Cumberland River. The bottle water plant has filtration , but since the water is pristine , brita or a simple carbon style would do me.. Now Your Cumberland River could be thick enough to walk on.

Edit add. To filter well , is to know what you expect to filter , and then use the correct size and filtering compounds.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary