Water Nightmare

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by UrbanFool, Sep 10, 2011.

1. UrbanFool

UrbanFool The Village Idiot

Me (herself) has been the prepper in the family. We have no kids. But when it comes to water, where I have to utilize precious space in himself's garage, there's a brick wall. He's convinced we just need a good water filter (that we don't have yet either), but I don't think that's right.

I've no idea how to convince him to store water. Yes, we have a canal running behind our house, but in the winter they close it down and although some water flows through it all year, the fact is that it flows right through the entire town before it gets to us. So I'm certainly not counting on it for an emergency.

I'm sure I'm an idiot for asking since I'm the queen of begging and getting my way, but any ideas on how to change his opinion? Should I just buy 55 gal barrels and blow him off? Not sure what to do.

Kelly

2. UrbanFool

Oh... but we have 8 exotic birds and 5 large dogs. So we really need clean water all the time.

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

It's been my experience that you can't change someone's opinion...that has to come from within. They have to come around to your way of thinking based on some logic they've come up with on their own. So, I would try to find some way (that doesn't come out of your mouth--male pride?) that he can come up with the idea that THE most important prep is having access to clean water. Maybe let him read a few accounts of what giardia or cryptosporidium can do to you.

Rain barrels would be an option that might provide 1-200 gallons depending on how many you get. You could buy them under the guise of saving $$ on water for gardening (if you do that). Then, you'd need a filter. You could get away with a hiker pump to fill up Nalgene bottles--these are quite small and could be stored out of sight to give you peace-of-mind.

campingsurvival.com has a bladder that fits in your tub. The first sign of an issue, you fill it up. It comes with a pump.

buy a box of 'pool shock,' and learn how to used it. At least you could treat water with this.

Aquatabs and Steripen--all can be hidden quite easily.

tulianr likes this.
  4. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

You can't just go around behind someone's back, it's a relationship built on trust I hope.

Water is so important, so so very important that you can't take any chances, you need 55 gallon water barrels. It's that simple, at least a couple of them, and you can use them when you can't go outside, or maybe the water REALLY isn't safe.

I'm sure you've used these arguments, I don't know why someone would resist having water just in case.

5. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You can always plan for a way to water the birds and dogs (and maybe the humans in the household)

Not sure where you live (city water or well) but how many times in the past few years has there been a water issue where you live? Power out, or city water pressure.

You might be able to leverage that into picking up some extra water 'Just in case' for you 'Pets' ;)

Others have suggested good methods for treating and storing of water. I'm sure that there is more to come.

good luck.

Naughty Monkey

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

[beat].. Some times you have to take things into your own hands. I would suggest you look around and see if you can find blue plastic 55 gallon food grade drums used for around $20 each. Feed stores often have them. They can be found at beverage distributors, like Pepsi.
    If it were me, I would buy at least 2 of them, with, or without permission.
    I don't know you financial situation, and don't want to know. I just know that water is a very essential essential !!! 3 days without you will be dead, or close to it. Hopefully, $40 won't break the bank at home. Good Luck.

Sapper John and Guit_fishN like this.
  7. UrbanFool

We are in Redding, CA which means that our electricity and (I assume) our water comes from the dam which is a luxury that others in CA don't have.

And we have a good relationship which is why we have plenty of preps... that don't include water. We had plenty at our last house, but at this one I'm starting from scratch in some areas. Water is a big one. All of our water now is filtered through a Brita filter, but that isn't going to cut it. He's kind of in Lala land although he's happy that his dinner is ready when he gets home from work. We're fine for now, but that isn't what we're preparing for, is it?

Kelly

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Ok here is what to do.... Get the 55 USG Plastic Drums, as previously suggested, and then plumb them into the gutters and downspouts of you abode. Tell the Old Man, that it is for watering the lawn, and garden, and use it for such, but only down to 75% FULL. That will give you three days of autonomous water availability. Then you can supplement that by filling up the Bathtub, when you know things might get dicey, and don't forget that your Hot Water Tank has a bunch of water in it that can be drained, for use.

9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Just smile at him and bat your eyes.....works for my wife every time!
    You would think that after 35 years, I would have built up some immunity.

Nadja and Sapper John like this.
  10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Avarice.....

Be open

Be honest

Be creative

Negotiate

And if all else fails,

BLACKMAIL or BRIBE! ; )

tulianr, STANGF150 and Sapper John like this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Sometimes tis easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Nadja, Capt. Tyree, STANGF150 and 3 others like this.
  12. beast

beast backwoodsman

go out to that canal, get a 5 gallon bucket of its water
    set it where he can see it, and let it turn colors
    yes it will start growing all kinds of cool things
    then ask him how many pots of coffee he wants you to make from it :D

Nadja, Espada, VisuTrac and 3 others like this.
  13. northga

northga North ga

WOW! I'm having the same issue with my family. My husband is onboard 100% , but It's my 5 sisters who are not. We are all very close and my parents just built a house on the perfect location to relocate. Myself and each of my sisters was given 3 acres with a nice creek flowing through each lot next to my parents new home. We all have small children and I hate to think if the SHTF I would not have enough to share. We would all end up straving because I couldn't not share. Any suggestions??? I know most of you are thinking...it's their problem, but I'll have to diagree, their my family!!!! I couldn't turn my back on them. My husband seems to think it's their prooblem and if something happened and they needed our helo, this would create some real issues for us as well. If I could just get them to nake some small prep, I tink it would make a huge difference. Any suggestions please???

chelloveck likes this.
  14. UrbanFool

That's probably a good idea Beast. I'm on day 16 of a farkin eye infection I'm sure I got from this same water source that everyone is thrilled with. So... we'll see what happens.

15. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Might I suggest that you buy them each a copy of "Lights Out" by David Crawford as early Christmas or Birthday presents,and then have a family meeting after reading it.I passed my copy around to several family members and it helped them to "see the Light" of one of many possible scenarios...my wife is now one of the biggest proponents of prepping around because of this book.Just a thought.

Nadja, Gordo, STANGF150 and 2 others like this.
  16. beast

beast backwoodsman

north, be honest with your sisters
    tell them youll be stocking up and youre not gonna share
    unless they also put some effort into it
    living in GA you are in a hurricane zone
    so it really shouldnt be that difficult to get them to prep
    for that scenario, even if thats all you tell them that its for
    its a start

17. UrbanFool

I've got Dave's book... Lights Out. and many others. We'll see what happens, but I am NOT drinking out of a toilet.

18. beast

beast backwoodsman

its clean til it hits the bowl....lmao

19. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I agree with Sapper John and that's what I was alluding to in my 1st post. If you could get him/them to read something that was eye-opening...they would come around to your way of thinking on their own.

My first "eye-opening" book was One Second After. Between OSA and Lights Out, I found OSA to be depressing as all hell (a good thing in the current context). I thought Lights Out was a lot more positive and upbeat...mainly because the characters were so positive and a strong connection to the neighborhood and family. The community really pulled together. It wasn't like that in OSA except at the school and there was more chaos.

The overarching theme I pulled from OSA was food/water/ammo...but, mostly food. Water isn't even a question...it's like air.

One thing you might want to mention to people: tell them to set aside the cause of the event, it is irrelevant. What is important is the duration of the event and the impact it has on the infrastructure. Could they last a mere 3 weeks without _______?

20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Survival is about adaptation,

In times of crisis when "normal" resources and modes of functioning, are not available, people either adapt...and make use of resources that they would never dream of using in normal circumstances...or they die. If life delivers you a sh!t sandwich...you had better be adept at making it as safe to eat, and as palatable and as nutritious as you can, or starve to death.

If I had to...(edit) I'd drink the water that came from from a toilet (cistern first preference, bowl, second preference)....even if it it had a turd floating in it...and be greatful for the good fortune of finding it to keep me alive. Would I drink the water raw and untreated....most probably not...there are ways and means of making contaminated water safe. Would I enjoy drinking it....probably not....even if treated....but I'd find ways of dealing with the psychological distate of drinking water that was sh1tty. Survival is more than mere tools, techniques and materiel...it's a mindset...and if the mind is not open to the possible necessity of doing what normally would be be unthinkable, then psychologically you're hamstringing your survival potential.

(edit) This post is not a personal criticism of you UrbanFool, it is an observation directed to the membership generally, prompted by what you wrote. I have been fascinated by the survival stories of concentration camp and Gulag survivors for a very long time...and although survival in many instances was a matter of luck, for those who were not immediately exterminated on arrival...survival was a matter of adaptation (to a greater or lesser extent) to new paradigms, often utterly different and repugnant to the former lives and experiences of the new internees.

Those who learned quickly, and made the necessary psychological adjstments to their new environment (awful though it was) usually lasted longer than those who refused to adjust, or were incapable of adaptation. Otherwise fit and healthy individuals often literally gave up the will to live and committed suicide or neglected their health to the point that they were selected for liquidation.

Undoubtedly there are probably a number of things that I would not countenance doing, even in a survival situation at the risk of my own life...but there are many more that I would not reject out of hand...and although the yukky factor might be considerable, drinking Chateau Lafite de Water Closet, if it were to save my life, might become the purest sparkling Acquaviva imaginable. (at least in my own mind) ; )

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7