Water Nightmare

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by UrbanFool, Sep 10, 2011.

1. northga

northga North ga

I'm reading One Second After right now. I'll tell ya, it makes you start thinking and really viewing life in general differently. Was at a social function over the week end and the most lovely spread of food there. The only thing I could think of was, one day this will be a thing that we dream of! Great book! Scares me a little, but motivates me to get busy! And, I truly have. No luck with the fam though!
    :( Bunch of darn jackasses!

2. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ok I'm a tad different in this area but still kind of in the same boat with you Urban. Now my other half doesn't mind me prepping as long as I don't break the bank which means all my side/hideout money is used. Further I have to keep it quiet, IE in my man cave.

So I have no room to keep 1 55gal barrel let alone 20 of them. What I did was first to find a constant source of water, after that I bought a Katadyn filter. I shelled out the money and got the pocket purifier that filters 13,000 gallons of water. Now I assumed that the 13K gallons would be in ideal situations so I halved that and bought two extra filters. That gives me at half rate of 19500 gallons.

I also have enough heat tabs and strike anywhere matches to supply a small third world country stuck away in freezer bags. So if I'm still worried about water quality I can either boil what I've filtered or another option that I haven't gotten yet but would like to is a Berkey. Between the two you should be able to get good water for quite a long time.

Just a couple of thoughts. Poacher

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

i just got and packed away 15 pounds of "shock" for water purification
    i wont use it til i absolutely need it, but thats one hell of a lot of water treatment...lol

4. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

We (wife and I) are going to make the Berkey our next large purchase. Water is already a luxury here in the high desert, and I have gotten sick on bad water while fishing/hiking years ago

5. beast

beast backwoodsman

id look into solar powered stills and recycling my water if i lived in the desert

6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I think both of you are correct. You should store water and get a filter system. Do you have a well? Can you have a well? If so why not make plans to pump water from a well? That was and is how we solved this problem. Generator plus pump = all the water you need. Solar pumps , propane generators, wood gas , diesel, wind power. Lots of ways to pump water from a well. If you dont or cant have a well you need a renewable source. Storing wont last. A stream, river, canal or rain water and you WILL need a filter and a way to store it. Everything mentioned here is viable including chemical treatments. Good luck, Kingfish

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7