WATER PROCUREMENT

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ColtCarbine, Jun 13, 2009.

1. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

I think i.remember reading some where that if you store large quantities of water you need to ad bleach like every 6 months or it will get stagnant. Any one know for sure?

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@tedrow42 I have no answer to your question but someone on here will.With regards to bleach we had a discussion on bleach because the formulas seems to be changing. New and improved needs to be watched. Many of our monkeys use pool cleaning products to clean their water. @BTPost is very knowledgeable on pool products.

Let's talk bleach | Survival Monkey Forums

3. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

To keep you mouth moist find a small clean pebble and place it in your mouth and roll it around. This is by no means a substitute for getting water, but it will keep your saliva flowing while you search for water.

I have read you can tap almost any deciduous (broad leaves, not pine needles) tree as a source of safe water. Sources say it is much purer and safer than water gathered by other methods because it has been filtered through the roots of the tree. It is said that once the tree leafs out that the sap gets bitter but nowhere can I find if it is bad to drink from trees year round in emergency situations i.e. late summer or fall.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
    chelloveck likes this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

For many people, emergency water storage is often sharply limited by the high cost of water containers.

At Wally-World a five-gallon plastic water storage jug (empty) costs $15.99. At the same store, 5 gallons of Primo Mineral water (in a large plastic bottle) costs $11.99. And the cheapest 55-gallon plastic barrel costs $84.99. And you have to pay taxes on them all.

Those storage costs come out to, respectively (and not including taxes), $3.32/gal, $2.40/gal, and $1.55/ gal.

Who wants to pay $966.00 to store 300 gallons of water in water storage jugs? Or $720.00 for 60 jugs of Mineral Water? Or $509.94 for six barrels of water? (At least you get an extra 30.24 gals in the sixth barrel. You can't quite store the whole 300 gallons in only five.)

The blue barrel is a little cheaper than the full jugs of Mineral Water, but not a lot, and it's much less portable. And only the Mineral Water jugs come with 5 gallons of "free" water inside. The others you have to fill yourself.

On the other hand, recycled cola bottles and milk jugs are free when you buy them for what's in them, or collect them from a known environment. (The time to collect bottles, in all but the most dire of circumstances, is before they hit the Dumpster.)

Parties are great for soda bottles. One good party can set you up with 30 or more. Just volunteer to help with the cleanup and save them all. So are school and church picnics, etc. And bars.

You can scrounge an endless number of high-quality plastic liquor bottles from bars with little effort. And almost always free. And the same party where you scarfed 30 soda bottles might provide a dozen empty
    fifths, too.

Milk jugs, which are absolutely safe to use if rinsed three or four times immediately after they are emptied, accumulate in our household at the rate of 1 per week. And they've been doing so for years. We're still using milk jugs that we originally emptied three years ago. They aren't nearly as fragile as some people seem to believe.

We all have, I think, increasingly limited budgets in our rapidly-worsening economy. Every dime saved on water containers is a dime that can be spent on beans, band-aids, or bullets. Or fuel. Or debt destruction.

Eschew (Gesundheit!) the concept of the standardized water storage container. Snag every glass or plastic bottle you can get your hands on and fill them all.

Glass bottles, slightly taller than the plastic ones beside them, can become the legs of cheap & easy stack-'em-up shelves. Six wine bottles, for example, can support a shelf above ten milk jugs, with ten more milk jugs on the shelf. Glass is VERY strong in compression. And every dime you don't have to spend on shelves is money well-saved.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gallon jugs of water 86 cents

Alf60 and UncleMorgan like this.
  7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Good thoughts, but spend a little money and a little time to build proper shelving. Water is heavy, and a lot of water is VERY heavy. Glass is strong (it is even used for diving bells where steel would be crushed), but it is not a stable platform to support that kind of weight. One bumb in the wrong direction, and it will collapse like a house of cards, and spill a lot of water as the jugs break, and glass shatters. Youtube is full of surveillance videos from stores, as displays collapse.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  8. UncleMorgan

Whoo-hooo. Missed that one! I was mind-locked in the 5 gals or more containers when I scouted Wally-World. Clearly the best buy from Wally-World.

Have to be careful, though, with 1-gallon bottled water jugs. A lot of them have pop-off lids instead of screw lids, and they aren't as secure once they've been opened.

kellory makes a good point about shelves, in that the best of shelves is best. Add the cost of shelving to the cost of water containers to reach the true cost of water storage.

In my experience, the Wine Bottle Shelf System works as well as the Concrete block system, IF all the wine bottles are the same size/same brand. My Ripple shelves held up for quite a while, back in my kollidge days. However, I would be the first to say don't build that way in an earthquake zone. And stop somewhere before the 20-ft level.

Having just added some shelving to my vaultuminous storage area, I'll try to start a thread today on Building Cheap Shelves. Might come in handy for some folks.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Uncle Morgan come shopping with me and I will show you where to buy 1 gallon with screw on lids. :)

Tbh larger containers are better for alot of storage but for inexpensive as a start up 1 gallon with screw on lids are fine and inexpensive and refillable

Great post BTW

UncleMorgan likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you were closer, you could get 350USG Food Grade Plastic Containers, in Aluminum Cages from Me..... I give them away to ANYONE who will haul them out of here. The Cannery has to PAY, to dispose of them, so giving them away saves them MONEY..... They come in on the Barge, filled with Sorbitol. (A Sugar Solution used in our Caviar Operation) Just rinse them out, with Clean Water and you are done.... Ready to build a Rack for them..... All my neighbors use them for water Storage, both summer and winter. They have a Plastic NPT 1 1/2" Nipple on a Plastic Valve on the Bottom, that can be connected to ANYTHING via NPT Fittings.
    I posted pictures of these here on the Monkey, in the Off-Grid forum, somewhere...

These same containers are used for the Food Grade DeIcing Fluid, used at most Commercial AirPorts, and I know they have the same problem as we do, with disposal. So, If your looking for this size container, you might try the AERO Services Outfit that services your local AirPort....

11. UncleMorgan

TY! Super! Tuesday good? I'll spring for quesadillas!

Ganado likes this.
  12. kellory

What is required for the cleaning of the airport version for potable water?

13. BTPost

It is Non-Toxic Food Grade stuff... rather like RV AntiFreeze (Pink, NOT Yellow, which is Toxic and NOT Food Grade).... so I would use water, First and then mix in some Ethyl Alcohol to make any Organic Liquids, soluble, and missable, then Clean Water, Again.... That should be sufficient...

kellory likes this.
  14. kellory

Every once in a while, something like that shows up, and you don't know it is a good thing or a bad thing, because you don't know what you have to do to make it safe.
    I've passed on one or two, that I had no idea how to.make it safe.

15. BTPost

It is all "Chemistry".... and what is a solvent for what..... and what is missable in what.... and what is the Drinking Water Standard for the stuff, that was originally in the container.... Best solvents are Water, and Ethyl Alcohol.... Just about every common Organic Liquid is missable in Ethyl Alcohol, and that is missable in water....

16. kellory

What amounts, and methods would you recommend? HOW should it be done? Rinse? Soak? Solution? What? TEACH here buwanna....[contract]

17. BTPost

Ok if it was "Me" I think I would fill the tote with Fresh Water, let it sit over night, stir it up for a few minutes, and then dump it as Fast as Possible... Repeat, that cycle for a few days.... Then fill with Water and add a quart of Denatured Ethyl Alcohol, or if you like, a Quart of EverClear, and let that sit for 12 Hours, sir it up good and dump it as fast as possible... Then Repeat the first cycle once.... Refill the tote and let it stand for 12 Hours, and take a sample from the middle of the tote, and send it to the State Water QC Lab, and get it Tested for Domestic Water Quality.... A note that they should test for the Stuff that was originally in the Container, should be attached.....
    Most States will do one sample for FREE.... or get a "Quote" from @Tracy 's Outfit for a Test....

Then you will KNOW for sure....

18. john316

john316 Monkey+++

water-well buckets- 3" wide so they can fit down a standard well casing with a rope or chain

They plug up their bottom when you lift and carry 1 or 2 gallons.You have to pull out the
    pump first but if the power was out for a long time,they would really come in handy.
    GOOGLE "Letter Re: A Homemade Well-Bailing Bucket, by Bill C."

"water-well buckets"
    "torpedo buckets"
    "BAILER BUCKET"

Stockpile parts---pipe to fit into wellcasing---bottom--check-valve-bale-rope

metal pipe to sink in water in wellcasing -

19. kellory

Sounds like this....

20. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Navyair
  5. Ganado
  6. Sojourn