Water Storage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Minuteman, Mar 20, 2023.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I always double whatever I calculate. IBC totes rule. Thank you kindly @BTPost.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I know our 10,000 gallon tank will last us at least three months, possibly four without conservation. Wifee was worried after about a month of no rain. We were at 75-80% full. Next big rain and we were overflowing again.

4. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

We are lucky with respect to water we have a 40 ft well that once you punch through a rock layer your in a aquifer with good water --head pressure water comes up the well pipe within 3 ft of the surface. Never had it vary in 25 years

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Oregon, the state I live in owns all the rainwater. People have been fined and in some cases arrested for saving it (happened just a few years ago when a fellow built a small pond). I wouldn't be surprised if I was being taxed for the rain that falls on my property that is used by my lawn and trees.

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One good earthquake can change a well over night. It happened to me.
    Regardless of what water source that is natural it can't be depended on exclusively because it can be lost due to earthquake flooding and contamination.
    Many wells are under ground streams that are fed by above ground sources at some distance, It would be important to know where the water originates.
    After the Fukushima event we were getting contaminated rain for months all across the country.
    A more local nuclear event, the contamination will likely be much worse in water that originates above ground.
    Like any filter that becomes saturated over time, and the earth is no exception. Be prepared to further filter your resources.
    When I had a house, I had 2000 gallons of water stored but now that I'm living in a camper hauling a utility trailer my water storage is severely limited to a few gallons, but I keep them topped off Asap. For this reason much of my food storage is canned foods already cooked and it's own water. Problem is it's heavy too and though I do have some rice and beans, so long as I have a regular water source where I live it's fine but if things go south the beans and rice might be bartered away for other things.

7. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

No earthquakes here to worry about. Nuclear attack we are all finished

8. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

better have some water stored accessible to your home's bug-in safe space - various SHTFs where municipal supply will not only be cut but any access to anything outside the home will be at jeopardy ...

wouldn't be relying on anything like a pond/creek/river at all - could eazily be contaminated beyond any filtering - and - the oldest kill zone for man going back to the cave dwellers is the watering hole ...

make sure you have a good size range of water containers - have the non-portable large volume to get the gallonage needed - but be ready to bug out with a supply - also will be needing eazy portables like 5 gallon jugs for water scavaging - if you have nothing but cases of bottles don't expect the water truck queue crowd to welcome your bottle filling - and there's nothing sadder than a bunch of unprepared sheeple waiting hours to fill a gallon cookpot ....

and if don't have everyday living space for enough water storage - very good chance most SHTFs will have an adequate run up period that will allow for "last minute" filling - WaterBobs that bathtub deploy are 100 gallons of potable water - there's likable 5 gallon flexible jugs - kidde pools are good for non-potable grey water - fill everything & anything like garbage cans and plastic totes .....

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That seems nuts.

10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yup!! Crazy stupid seems to be a communicable disease here in Orygun...

11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Agreed. California has more total nuts, but there are more nuts per capita in Oregon.

12. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Now I have heard everything how can the State say they own the rain that falls on your property if that is the case charge them for allowing their rain to trespass on your property. What the hell is keeping them from claiming they own the air you breath and charge you a breath Tax

13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Nothing, but let's not give the progressives any ideas. The Beatles did a song about. "If you take a walk they'll tax your feet," or something like that...

SB21, Gator 45/70, johnbb and 5 others like this.
  14. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I know in Colorado, water rights are so strictly enforced, that if you were to walk up to a river, dip a bucket in, and walk off with it full of water, chances are you might be arrested for doing so. Literally every drop of water is controlled.

15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's a law that goes back to the 1920's. A few years back a farmer up the valley built a couple of ponds on his property and spent 90 days in jail plus a fine. Something like a cistern would probably go under the radar. I'm a bit leery of storing rain water for drinking since there are usually contaminants (like bird crap) to deal with. I'd be interested in @Hanzo 's collection system and how they keep it potable.

Gator 45/70, mechstdr and Hanzo like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We collect off the roof (power wash roof every other year, clean gutters every year), catchment tank is covered. We treat the water in the tank as needed. It is tested every month. Then from the tank to the house, we have a pump house with a pump UPS battery back up. Water pumped on demand goes through three filters making water potable. The final stage is a quantum disinfection unit. That’s the most expensive part, but good for 200,000 gallons. Filters are checked monthly and changed as needed.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Bird crap= extra flavor or so I'm told but I have to draw the line on a blowed up floating raccoon.

mechstdr, Hanzo, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  18. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

I would run a good sand filter (big stuff), charcoal filter (taste,chems.), then chlorine or boiling (micro-critters), that should do the trick, i would think. info on the various filtration methods etc. can be found in the resources section.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

As long as it's still blowed up and floating you just have to fish it out. Not like you would have to strain out all the little pieces. [winkthumb]

mechstdr, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I apricate a true artist, Thanks for the tip!

mechstdr, Hanzo and oldawg like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7