Water !

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bear, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

O.k..... I've got a Katadyn, Miox, Steripen, Polarpure and Clorox...... and probably others that I've forgotten about.....

What works?..... anyone got stories to share on "the good the bad and the ugly?".......

I like all of mine.... depending on the purpose.....

Bear

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I've used a PUR Scout for years. Liked it but it was the older kind with the iodine impregnated filters. Tasted a little off, even with the charcoal extra.

I really like my Katadyn Pocket!!! Tough as nails. phishi and I were on a ridge top one night and had to pull out of a stagnant swamp. Just lift the frog aside and pump.... We had to pre-filter the prefilter with a bandana or the ceramic got to slimed up too quick. If you can get over the extra weight of the Pocket, I think it's one of the best.

I don't know much about the miox other than it's application.

I have an aqua rain at the house for when the well/power goes out. We pull out of the creek and let it gravity feed through 4 Marathon Ceramic filters. Very similar to the British Berky.

Good topic

3. Bear

I forgot about the PUR..... that's good stuff indeed!.....
    You mentioned the Berkey.... I've got a Katadyn gravity fed ..... similar to the Berkey.....
    If the electricity goes and the water with it.... I figure I'll rely on a good amount of rainfall here along with a good supply of blue barrels.... if not.... I've got a river close to the house.... probably need to follow it up a bit to get away from the homes around it.... then I'll need to lug it....
    Was wondering what thoughts are here about purifying at the the river or lugging it home then purifying?.....

Also remembered about the PUR Survivor ..... its a desalinator that can be used for fresh as well.... Lots a water in the middle of the ocean.... but it has salt in it.....

Bear

4. melbo

I don't know about the hand held desalinators Bear. I know they exist but haven't looked into them. My fathers boat has a 'water maker' on it that can make 600 gallons of Fresh water a day. Uses similar Marathon Ceramics that the smaller one's use but his backflushes the salt/brine back out of it.

I'd think your supply might be safer back at the retreat. You have o carry it sometime, either up front or when you need it. The thing I like about the Aqua Rain, (Berkey), is that I can dump 3 1/2 gallons in it and walk away, 3-4 hours later, it's clean.

5. az1

az1 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I like my sweetwater....seems to work for me... :D

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

The smallest hand-operated emergency desalinator in the world
    The SURVIVOR 06
    Compact and lightweight
    Recommended for emergency liferafts and individual survival kits
    Trusted by militaries and individuals around the globe
    Specifications
    Water Production (+/- 15%): 1 oz/2 min (890 ml/hour)
    Weight: 2.5 lbs (1.1 kg)
    Dimensions: 5" x 8" x 2.5" (12.7 x 20.3 x 6.4 cm)
    Salt Rejection: 98.4% average (95.3% minimum)
    Average Pump Rate: 40 strokes/minute
    US Coast Guard Approval Number: 160.058/7/0

$550
    http://www.cascadegps.com/new201233.html

7. Bear

Cool!.... Thanks for the link.... [beer]

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

SeaCowboys needs one of those in a lifeboat!

9. melbo

Actually, my parents need one. I'll send them the link. They keep a pretty STOUT BOB in the ready on there boat.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7