Weapons from the basic things around you

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Well, if you happened to be at a renaissance fair a person might have a horse and mace handy...:lol:

Sorry.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

My last mace WAS made at home.

Witch Doctor 01 and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[peep] sorry.... was just gettin real for a moment...... I do have a real nice block within 10 feet right now with lots of sharp pointy things.... :)

KAS likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

You are an over-achiever [winkthumb]

5. kellory

No...over achieving was the optional flail feature....:)

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

nah... flail wasn't optional.. it was a banned weapon.... tell the truth...

7. kellory

No, it was combo weapon. A surpriser. Twist the mace head 90° and about 18" or chain appears between the handle and spiked ball.

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My youngest keeps a rake handle in the living room. Also in his room is part of a standing lamp, he keeps one of the lengths next to his bed. He is in middle school and already making weapons from what he finds.

Hanzo, Dunerunner and Yard Dart like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

biglaff Hey KAS, when have you ever seen a thread NOT drift in the tree? That said I'll use the 3.5 rocket............................opps OPSEC, sorry.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. kellory

This is at 30'........you are screwed.
    @Hanzo balance is overrated. IMG_20150124_095421487.

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Who ever said hanzo was balanced?

12. shaman

shaman Monkey++

+1 on the claw hammer. I used to live in a bad neighborhood. I went to the Dollar Store and bought a claw hammer for every room, and stashed it where I could get to it quickly, but no one else knew.

Month 2 of my 9 year stay at that house, I had two guys come in the house. It was hot, after sunset on a Saturday night, and I had stripped down naked and was lying on the bed trying to cool off. I heard them come up the stairs, and grabbed for the nearest claw hammer.

I came out of the gloom, naked as a jaybird, and bid my intruders to show their hands and then back slowly down the stairs. They complied. The whole thing took less than 3 minutes.

One thing I would like to explain to y'all is this: don't brandish something your opposition will not recognize as a weapon unless you want to sneak up on them. The reason why the claw hammer worked was it was instantly recognizable. A sock with a weight in it is fine, but it does not instill fear. It also helps to use something you know works. I'd grown up in a construction family and had intimate knowledge of how to operate a claw hammer. I did not brandish it like a hatchet, but held it from the head and presented the handle from a cocked stance intending on rearranging the mens' necks and faces. Lastly: make sure your weapon suits the space. I love a doctored baseball bat, but it would not work indoors. One of the reasons I held the claw hammer oddly was the space was tight, and I knew I did not have the overhead clearance for a clean swing.

After that episode, I've gone the rest of my life with something around me at all times that can be put to use for these purposes. Most of them are improvised or re-purposed. The idea is to never get caught bare handed. Walking into my place you would not see it as such, but there are:

A collection of cheap machetes
    A collection of plastic pipe
    Claw Hammers, screw drivers, and other assorted hand tools.
    Notched 3foot 2X4 sections-- very deadly if you know how to use them
    Lengths of chain, some attached to handles

. . . and that's before we get to the firearms.

One last hint: find something for when you're out and about that you know how to use and that you have a plausible excuse for carrying. Beating someone to death with a nail-tipped baseball bat is going to draw the ire of a district attorney. Carrying a screwdriver. . . well, I could have been going over to fix my girlfriend's light switch, right?

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

kellory likes this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have taken to keeping a couple cans of green beans right next to the 9mm. Just in case I run out of ammo!!

Sapper John likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Ganado
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner