Weather proofing advice needed

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Does that plastic wrap really work? I have what I think are good windows but have you noticed a true difference. Someone once said heavy drapes are more effective. I have honeycomb shades in parts of the house and allegedly those are supposed to be good at insulating. Or at least that is what they advertised.

Checking around the plumbing pipes, I will add that to the Honey-do list.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will have to get out the plans to see what the wood was that was used for the rafters. I know when we put the insulation in we didn't smash it down. We rolled and attached. It was easy but itchy work.

We will get into this later once I find out what depth my rafters were.

3. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

A long time ago, I spent a vacation helping to winterize houses as part of my church' outreach program. I was surprised to find that all the effort was put into eliminating drafts: the minister who ran it told us that nothing else even comes close in terms of energy efficiency, and he said that's why even log cabins can be energy efficient: the whole idea is to stop air leaks.

So, get a puff ball and rent a thermal imaging reader. Stop the air flow, and the other stuff will wait until spring.

William Warren

Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  4. Snake_Doctor

Snake_Doctor Call me Snake...

Plastic doe's indeed work. The heavier plastic works even better. I've made shelters of the stuff and once wrapped a wounded hiking companion in it and a space blanket before racing down the mountain to find cell service to summon help. The S&R guys said my first aid and that wrapping him up saved his life.

5. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

check to see if the duct work is insulated... or if it is damaged... heat loss through duct work is often overlooked...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7