Welcome to prepping

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Did this idea die?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No. The stew is not bubbling yet. Eventually, the ideas will get reformed and put into some order and posted. Time line? Dunno, but it could be months.

3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

We have so many knowledgeable people here at the SM, I don't see it being a problem if we can get them to contribute. I submitted what little I have to offer in my capacity, and aside from helping to keep things simple and streamlined, I don't have a great deal more to offer.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Thanks for the reminder Brokor. From Melbo's post under "Forum for those who just saw the light?", "Any idea's on others to invite to the new sub-forum?". Was thinking instead of bringing people into the clubhouse threads, start a new thread under General Survival letting people know what we have been trying to do, copy the ideas into it and let them expand on it from there.

5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Good idea. I am sure that with enough moderation, we can keep it on topic and inspire the right crowd to participate.

6. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

You folks have some great advice for the noob survival/prep. I don't think anyone needs to go anywhere else, to obtain the vast amount of information available right here at SM.
    I have been a prep guy for 40+ years, and I'm still not ready.
    I do think there is one Truth, The mind set of the person, new, or long time preper. Once the mind accepts the ideals and goals of survival, the rest is a no brainer. Get the mind right and the body will follow.
    Just my two cents.[2c]

Stay Safe, Stay Prepared

I will survive, there are no other options.

7. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Yes there is.

Hopefully, you're prepared enough to hold it off.

8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Noobies could easily be overwhelmed by the amount of information that is out there. It needs to be kept simple and basic with small baby steps in levels of preparedness. It would not hurt

Without even realizing it a lot of folks probably already have some of the basic stuff in their cupboards, closet, garage or whatever depending on what level they are preparing for. However, I'm sure there are some that don't have more than one weeks worth of food stored, much less any camping supplies, warm clothing, alternative sources of heat or means to cook........

Start them out with building the basics first like a well equipped First Aid Kit, 72 hour Emergency Kit and a Bug Out Bag, then move on to food storage (short and long term) water storage and procurement, shelter, protection, investment and any of the other essentials. Not necessarily in that order.

Sapper John, Falcon15 and Brokor like this.
  9. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I never quite know whether to offer my perspective here or just suck up what is here because we were such "atypical" preppers.

We started storage of food, etc about 25 years ago...about the same time we bought the land for our eventual retirement home (which was our "bugout destination" before we ever heard the term and while we were still tied to work locations), but had always maintained a stockpile of such things as tools, guns, ammo, etc just because it was the way I was raised.

We started differently than anyone I have read here...but it worked for us. Initially, we concentrated on basic survival. The Vietnamese had taught me how people can survive on rice along with fish and other "forage", so we started merely by stockpiling rice until we had a couple hundred pounds of it (to be honest, I really don't remember the exact amount before we started branching out). Next we added beans...mostly red, some pintos and finally black. Only then did we start adding variety to break the monotony. My thought was that having enough for basic survival for a year was the most important initial goal and that we could live with the limited diet if "whenever" became "right now".

We took about 10 years to build our home, and built with both survival and "defensibility" in mind...including a couple of buried 40' semi trailers (reinforced with pipe to keep them from caving in) as primary storage areas with entrances that would require a goodly amount of luck for an invader to find. If I were doing it today, I would be more likely to use the shipping containers (or "conexes")that are readily available just about anywhere.

I could obviously go on for pages about the discoveries we made over 25 years of prepping without having a "network" such as this one...or even thinking of ourselves as "preppers" or "survivalists", but I am not really sure much of our experience is even relevant to the people that would have access to the kind of technology and support available today and on this site.

I will say also that it helped us greatly through what I might call the "middle years" of prepping to have lived and worked in the Salt Lake City area for a few years and, while we are not Mormon, having acess to their resources and literature was a great boon.

Cephus and BTPost like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pax, You should just write it up in a Blog and Post it in your CP, here on the MOnkey... that way folks can read your experience and take from it, what is relevant to them, and, or, ask you more specific questions, about the information.... works for "Me".... I, for one, would love to read your stuff....

11. ghrit

+1, especially the blog idea. With that much time into preps, I'd say don't try to do it all at once, break it up into defined times, or maybe when epiphanies struck. Good way to get it all out and when "Start Here First" goes main stream on the site, we can add links appropriately. Thanks for thinking and contributing.

12. Spartan300

Spartan300 Monkey+

Pax, I too would enjoy reading more about your experience in prepping. Good stuff.

13. Pax Mentis

OK...I guess maybe there is some interest.

I am going to try and put together something...at least maybe it will be a different perspective than most.

Then I will have to figure out how one goes about creating a blog. I am somewhat of a techie...but not an internet wiz...

Thanks for the encouragement.

Cephus likes this.
  14. ghrit

Go to your CP and scroll down. At the bottom is "blog". Then go to "Your Blog" then "Post to Your Blog" then, away you go. (y)
    Yeah, it's deep in the pile ------ [dunno]

15. Pax Mentis

Thanks G...I'm giving it a try...have posted 2 segments.

As will be obvious to anyone reading it, I wouldn't quit my day job (if I still had one) for writing...so any suggestions on ways to make it more readable (or interesting) would be graciously accepted...I've never done this before.

Don't worry about offending...I've been married almost 30 years...I'm used to it...

[beer]

Cephus likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Pax, your doing just fine..... I am looking forward to reading the rest, as it gets put down....

17. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

I don't think there is an easy solution, any new prepper will have to sift the wheat from the chaff just as most of you have done for many years.
    There is just TOO much information to absorb for it to be simple in any format.

I really like the site as it sits, there are many improvements that can be made, same as anywhere

One of the biggest things I like about the tree is that there are plenty of people willing to be encouraging to noobs like me. ( not just because I'm the good looking neighbour to the North) ;)

I would say that any "formal" list of beginner preps can be published and refined on site with perhaps a vetting thread before publishing.
    ( and I really don't know how sites run, I am not tecnologically savvy)

Pax, I don't have time today, but will try tomorrow to have a read, thanks for typing it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7