"We'll Come to YOUR House"

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Yup. Feeding the physical is important, but we are complex beings.
    Mind, body, and soul. All are important to survival.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Seems a good time to get out our cameras and do a "BOB dump thread". Be interesting to see how different our priorities are. No real right or wrong to this thing, just variations.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. We don't need a slew of pix of bare rugs ---[LMAO]

4. dukenukum

dukenukum Monkey+++

loose lips

sink survival preps one of our groups members started blabbing to the sheeple about the " the stuff " our pet name for survival supplies and her husband was not much better had to change everyrthing worst part is they still do not
    get it that when the shtf even in a small way all these sheeple intend to knock on or down there door
    [banghead]

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Since I'm pretty much "lone wolfing" it, I let nobody know of my preps. My best shooting buddy is into stocking for storms and local flooding, given his neighborhood's tendency to flood. But, he hasn't responded well to tentative 'feeling out' regarding more serious preps.
    The Sister and BIL are a lost cause - he's wooed her over to the Dark Side. :mad:

My parents have their own problems - they'd consider serious preps as money wasted.

I definitely don't advertise - unwanted 'visitors' after SHTF day will be sent on their way - or buried. Their choice. :sneaky:

6. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Even conservative budies...

In my zeal I've brought up the whole theme of getting ready for a local/national disaster to several friends, with varying reactions. Below is a synopsis of a few discourses that I've had -- some of the reactions are interesting. First, I describe a little about the person's background and then describe the reaction:

#1:
    Person: smart, hard-worker, computer geek, married, children grown and far from home, conservative
    Religion: charismatic, healing services, finneyist
    We had a lot in common concerning our claims to being Christian and sharing time getting exercise. I was excited to share some of my plans to begin disaster preparations, talking mainly about possibly purchasing bulk grain and supplies for selling on a web site. On about the third day, I got this question: "It sounds like you're going to be happy when a big disaster hits!?" This, of course, is far from the truth, and I told him so, but, like most "smart" people, he already had his opinion fixed. He mentioned one time about coming to my house when the balloon goes up, but I just smiled and changed the subject. He might have just his wife to watch out for, but I've got a family to take care of -- God says I'm worse than an unbeliever if I don't provide for my family (I Tim 5:8)

Person: smart, well-educated, works hard when he likes something, lazy when he dislikes the work, married, no children, conservative
    Religion: none
    I spend quite a bit of time with this person because of carpooling. He also agrees that we all "ought to" prepare because of the inevitable disaster or worse coming up. He began quipping that he'll be at my house when the big one hits, and I kept on saying he needs to prepare for himself. Finally one day he told me he was joking, and again I said that he needs to get things prepared for himself -- then I mentioned that my supplies are not all that big because of all the relatives that will be depending on me. I'll have a house full of oldies that won't have much to bring -- this actually seemed to sink in! and now he's even thinking of going in with me on a bulk purchase.

Person: good man with wife and 4 kids, works hard, enjoys life, older but constantly learning new things
    Religion: reformed
    This is my breaktime buddy. He's a good man but only thinks ahead a little ways. He's a type II diabetic like me, but he's on insulin so he won't be going anywhere when the balloon goes up. He keeps saying the survival food won't work for him because of the blood sugar hit with grain and beans. I've reminded him a couple times about his family needing food, and not just him. This seemed to strike a cord with him, and now seems very open to the whole idea (but needs some more coaxing and reminding). Since he doesn't have much spare money, it may be difficult to put things away for that rainy day. I'll keep on this guy because he and his family are great people.

That's about it for now; I don't really share much with others about preparing unless the situation arises where I can ask about what they are doing (rather than volunteer my info). I've got a lot to learn and I hope I can get others to start thinking in earnest!

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

For the most part, I've stopped talking about things locally. No one cares and it paints a target on my place if the ballon goes up. The only local discussions I do have are within my church. We have a group of guys that are and would be assets in a bad situation.

This site is a calling card and networking tool for me. The main site has been up around 4 yrs now and the forums for less. But, I've gleaned a few that I would lay down my life for if the need arose.

Survival and preparedness is a strange game full of strange people. I take it all with a grain of salt and continue to lay things into my supply every day. If things go bad, there will be a radio down the road for friends to use to announce thier coming. If they don't, I prolly don't know you. Don't touch the gate:sneaky:...

8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Trusted Circle

I finally found a buddy at church that likes shooting. We're going to one of the Appleseed events (rwva.org) pretty soon, so I'm just in euphoria :^)

Having a group of like-minded people -- theologically and with respect to survival -- is a real advantage. Having only half of that -- either one -- can cause trouble down the road of varying types and degrees (I can only speculate). I'm going to be a little more open with my church brothers - if they don't like it, they'll have to tell me to my face rather than gossip behind my back.

Having a church-family member knock on the front door when the balloon goes up won't be as bad if I know he's been putting some supplies aside. We currently help each other as it is as necessary.

9. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

NVBeav.... I just checked out rwva.org.... looks pretty cool.

I'd still be pretty selective who I'd tell in your church. It's amazing how many "good christians" forget their religion completely the other 6 days of the week, let alone in a shtf event.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just don't talk about it for the most part. I have some long time friends that know, and my immediate family. That's it though. I have talked to a couple of neighbors about it, two of whom were at the AK build. One if fairly well equipped. He is in his 50's, and financially I am sure he is well more prepared for any even than I am. We have talked some about preps, and he does seems to be somewhat like-minded. He is from the northeast, and I know that he has had to weather a lot of ice and snow storms. I don't believe he would be caught with his pants down. Another neighbor is a really good guy, he is set up to hunt, with a nice 4x4, two four wheelers, a few guns, etc. I doubt though that he even has a full pantry. I am going to work on him a little more in the future. I think that his budget is a little too tight though, with too many toys and not enough free room to negotiate.

It is a strange game with lots of strange players. Of course my sister and brother and their families think me a little odd I believe. I haven't heard any references to Noah, but eventually one day the flood will come. My ship may not be the U.S.S. Texas, but then again I hope that it won't be the Titanic either. [sinking]

11. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Very true. Fortunately, my little church has only a few families and we know almost everything about each other. My dad warned me (when we first started going) that we're going to know everyone's problems whether we want to or not because of the size. But that's the reason we left a huge church because we didn't meet anyone at all.

With a small group it's easy to see what fruit is borne from each individual. Wish I could say we're all model believers, but I'm probably the worst of the whole bunch.

12. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

While I figure that as long as there is a mutual understanding and respect for each others beliefs that folks of different religious beliefs can do just fine as group members I do agree that haveing the same religious/philosophical beliefs just tends to eleminate that many more potential problems.

1. oldman11
  2. Waydah
  3. DKR
  4. Motomom34
  5. Swedish woman
  6. deMolay
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. T. Riley
  9. Motomom34
  10. HK_User
  11. DarkLight
  12. Motomom34