What about your BOV?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by gillman7, Dec 17, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Momma? Ghrit, you old curmudgeon, are you holding back something we should know?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nope, reference was to Momma Nature and her vehicle washing skills --. [rofllmao]

3. Northwoods

Northwoods Monkey+++

2500 GMC extended cab...she's a tank...but no mileage what so ever

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Speaking of mileage: Ford Excursion 4x4 with a V-10. 44 gallon tank
    10 mpg city, 13-15 hwy.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Over the last 228,000 + miles, getting over 21 mpg with the Ranger.

6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

For some reason bug out vehicles seems to be the least talked about subject around here. Not sure why because all that gear is worthless without a reliable way of getting to your destination if you're bugging out.

Any other greasemonkeys (shadetree mechanics) here or do you have a mechanic do your all your repairs?

It wouldn't hurt to learn some basic wrenching skills just in case. Chances of finding a mechanic during a bug out doesn't fit into the equation.

I'm guessing the OP might have mechanical experience unless he is paying somebody to restore his 77 Bronco.

7. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

It wouldn't hurt to learn some basic wrenching skills just in case. Chances of finding a mechanic during a bug out doesn't fit into the equation.

My thoughts exactly. That is why I am going with older model BOV's, less to worry about with EMP, and I can work on them myself. I don't need a code reader or worry with computer modules. My two Bronco's have electronic ignition, and 1 brain box, I have removed the other electronic controls on the drivetrain.

I'm guessing the OP might have mechanical experience unless he is paying somebody to restore his 77 Bronco.[/quote]

I am doing it myself, just not getting in a hurry to finish it. When I get through with it, it will be more dependable than a new one, and I can fix it when it breaks. I am a fair mechanic, but have a brother in law that is a professional mechanic and avid 4 wheeler. The only thing I am not doing myself is the transmission, and setting up the gears for the differentials. I will try to post pics of my '80 model and my wife's '96 Cherokee, but the '77 is in pieces right now. I am shooting to have the body done by spring, and the suspension complete by about June.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have a Ford Ranger with 4x4 and low range and have a camper shell on it with sheles on one side and across the front. It has may small backpack BOB in the back but then it also has 2 foot lockers full of additional supplies (one mostly food the other mostly ammo and gun gear), a tackle box, snareing stuf, 5 gallons of water (ice at present) a camp stove and a few bottles of fuel, tent, sleeping bag, shotgun, and various other odds and ends of useful stuff. I still want to get a decent 12v winch and hount it to a steel plate with spots to hook chains at all 4 corners so it can be used for either end of the truck or for other stuff.

9. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

I've got a F-250 diesel with cap, doesn't get that dirty. Plan on getting winch and extra fuel cap. IMHO, the best BOV/SHTF scenario is a horse(s) and a mule(s).

10. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

What is she running d398's[beer] 3:1 tranny

11. badkarma

badkarma ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i have a Ford F-150 4X4 to get me to my sailboat.

12. TNZ71

TNZ71 PEACE THRU FIREPOWER

I was just about to finish the WarWagon when I found a good deal on the Subaru.
    warwagon.JPG outback.JPG

13. TNZ71

Should I sell

The Warwagon, 90 GMC Burb, 4X, 4" lift, 35" tires. Basically a money pit last 3 years, motor, trans, AC, Heater core. Or cover and keep, inside is cavernous.
    warwagon.JPG

14. RevBushmaster

RevBushmaster When in doubt use more C4

I get a lot of good ideas here and have learned some new terms! I liked the motorcycle idea. The boats? I don't swim so good! The only good thing about the (ocean going) boats is that they are mobile and you have more ocean than land (better to hide in). The down side is nuclear depth charges and submarines and hostile surface vessels. Maybe a stealth ocean going boat?

I have a semi EMP hardened 95 explorer with bigger tires and a locker rear diff. Its ready to go with camping equipment and food 24/7, and I drive it most of the time. I don't have a wife and kids, except for my basset hound Bogie, and would probably get fried trying to get back to get him if the SHTF. Plans include adding saddle tanks from a f 100 which I have (that would be about 100 gallons total, counting the outboard jerry can.). Additionally I have welded on brackets and mounts for a back rack that will hold a small dirt bike or something similar. I saw a neat little cheap (550.00) semi full sized four stroke rigid frame bike with ATV tires at tractor supply that would fit the bill. The ATV is a very good idea but I can't afford or see the 3000.00 asking price. Thats a lot of extra ammo and good weapon.

I don't have a regular 9-5 job so I don't have a routine. Depending on the threat I would either bug out to my 19 acres of land (a knoll/mountain) or a neat structurally sound limestone cave of federal land (about three miles from my very modest 'city' home), or out to the great northwest somewhere. (the most risky choice).

I have been toying with the Idea of saving money and buying a used airplane or ultralight and getting my pilots license , but thats just a dream now, besides I am not so sure I want to be @ 15,000 feet when another EMP hits! In any case a short take off and landing ultra light would be handy as I have enough room on the land for a small runway.

The biggest down side to my place is what made my land so attractive to me would make it attractive to an invading army, or our own army. It overlooks the entire small town I live in. If I were a general I would have gun emplacements right smack dab where I decided to build my getaway. If I stay there at least it will be short and sweet! More than likely I will either build my main place off the mountain or trade for a more secluded place.

Thanks for all the ideas. Oh the photo (how deep is it? hehe) is of the explorer me and Bogie (the basset) checking out a old logging road on iron mountain. These mountains have thousands of old logging roads and rail road beds, because the area has been logged and mined for a couple hundred years. [​IMG]

; {>

15. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

How does one go about EMP hardening A vehicle? Do I only have to cover the computers in the engine bay?

16. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

easy get a manual tranny with mechanical diesel injection rig and your good to go... :D

17. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Re: Should I sell

It's cheaper than making payments on a $30K-$40K rig and has less computerized and electrical parts than a new one. The TBI SBC 350 is easier to work on for the most part, more reliable and more fuel efficient than the carburetted SBC 350.

Is it a 1500 or 2500 series rig? How fresh is the motor was it rebuilt or is it a crate motor, how many horsepower? When was the tranny rebuilt, how many miles? Parting it out? [gone]

Nice rig [winkthumb]

18. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

If go with the ultralight it dont require a pilots lisence and a lot of them also have simple engines (lawnmower motors) that are prety well imune to EMP as well as most of them are built as gliders with the small engines. Up side to that being that unlike some planes (large or small) that fly like a brick when the engines stop, if the engine stops you basicly have a fancy hang glider and can still go a good ways to find a good landing spot and land it.

19. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Mine is a 84' CJ7

20. TNZ71

Re: SHOULD I SELL?

MOTOR WAS REBUILT, BUT I GOT THE SERPENTENE BELT ON THE WATER PUMP SPINNING THE WRONG WAY, MOTOR WAS EXCESSIVELY HEATING BUT THE TEMP GUAGE SHOWED NORMAL (?) WASN'T UNTIL THE FAN BLADE FLEW OFF DID REALIZE MY MISTAKE. NOW I'VE GOT A KNOCK. $1000 F---- UP. THE RIG IS 1/2 TON. 14 MPG. THINK I'LL PARK AND HOPE GAS GOES DOWN. DROPPED INSURANCE AND SWAPPED TAGS TO THE SUBARU. 25MPG. RESALE VALUE OF 'BURBS NOT HOLDING AS WELL AS SAY A K5 OF THE SAME YEAR.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7