What are you driving?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 10, 2018.

1. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

let's see.
    1994 Cherokee 4x4 beater with a heater. (15mpg)
    1999 2wd dodge 1500 sport rust bucket hauler.(10ish mpg)
    2003 4wd Chevy Trailblazer probably going to rust apart (frame) soon but I'll keep throwing inexpensive parts in it (17mpg)
    2004 4wd Avalanche with rebuilt engine and trans go anywhere anytime over just about anything (16mpg)
    and 2015 Fusion commuter car base model with least amount of gizmos and accessories. I just wish it didn't have power windows standard. (32+ mpg).

I pick one to drive based on the task. And I don't really care about dings and dents. I never plan on reselling my cars, as they are pretty much boneyard material due to the amount of salt they use in Michigan.

Also .. not bugging out. Staying put as we don't have earthquakes, hurricanes or mudslides. Basically reached the age where if the golden horde were to be coming .. there would be quite a few less after they went through my AO.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have talked about our FlatLander White Toyota 4X4 Pickup (Tacoma w/160,00 Miles) elsewhere on the Monkey, AND about our experience with one of the Toyota Dealerships in the Seattle Area... (VERY BAD) On our recent Road Trip in the FlatLands we got 20MPG (midsize 4 Cyl Engine) on the Highway and that includes over a bunch of Mountain Passes as well as across High Plains Freeways... It is a quality Ride and drives really well with the four New Michelin Boots we put on for this trip. The Suicide Rear Cab Doors (Extended Cab) and room behind the seats is a very nice option, and place for mounting the Radios, on the floor, place for Munchie and Drink Cooler, as well as a good storage for the FireArms Cases that keeps them out of sight... It was nice to have FWD on Demand, when going up Deadman's Pass in Umatilla County, Oregon, and we ran into a massive Snow, Sleet, Hail, Thunder & Lightning Storm to the point that just about every else pulled over to wait out the Wx... It was mostly over by the time we got to LeGrande, OR... Makes driving around Seattle's Hilly terrain, in the winter, not really an issue....

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I was going to say the same thing before you updated your post.

@Motomom34 - I'm positive that what Merkun had meant was that he's certain that the person who had the car before you abused it, as well as having abused you and your willingness to co-sign. It honestly didn't come across as "and you've probably abused the car too...for SHAME!". :)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

I get about 22.5 mpg right now. It was a much higher average the second year the daughter was in college because I was up and back so often and the long stretches on cruise control did wonders for the avg mpg.

I won't go into it here, but here is a link to one of the biggest reasons that CarMax has made me a fan.

So what did you put away this week?

As for Nissan cars/trucks, I have had:
    1980 Nissan 200 SX Coupe
    1991 Nissan 2x4
    2014 Nissan Pathfinder
    2015 Nissan Murano

I have been happy with every Nissan I've owned, without any reservations. And I LOVED that 200SX and wish I had saved up to have someone else do the head gasket. I destroyed the engine doing it myself (or trying) and I swear I would restore another one if I could find one. I really, REALLY loved that car. SO much fun to drive. It was what I learned to speed shift in. :D

This is not mine (I had oxidation on the hood and top) but this is what it looked like...damn...now I have to look around for a 38 year old car...

[​IMG]

5. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

2014 Isuzu DMax. 2.5. Gets about 30-35mpg which is actully pretty good for what is essentually a work truck.
    Needed something big enough to put the dogs in... which narrows down the list a lot when one of said dogs is the size of a shetland pony. :eek:

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I drive a 1995 Zuki Sidekick. All of 3.5 miles to work.
    My wife has a 20021/2 Rodeo. (love child of Chevy and Honda - IWO, a Pathfinder with Chev running bits.)
    ((The second generation Isuzu Rodeo and its twin, the Honda Passport received a rating of "marginal" in the IIHS frontal offset test conducted at 40 mph (64 km/h) due to a possible injury to the right leg and the head, but dummy movement was reasonably well controlled.))

Second car is a VW Eurovan camper - a Class B 'motor-home' if you believe the insurance Co. I call it a van conversion, but a rose is still a rose. My daily drive in the warmer, ice free months.

I got the Zuke in 1999 and have only done a tuneup, front CV cover and a set of front brake pads. 25+ MPG summer, over 20MPG in winter and using 4X4.

7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I've got a 2015 4x4 Toyota Tacoma and a 2015 Rav4. I love them both. I doubt I will ever sell the Tacoma but will eventually replace the Rav4 with a newer one.

I sometimes wish I would have gotten a bigger truck but I honestly seldom have a need for one so hard to justify but nice to have.

8. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

'06 Toyota Runner 4wd
    Bought it about 5 years ago with 100k miles on it. Has a small V8 with guts, which is good because it's frequently used for towing utility trailers and occasionally a 21 ft Travel Trailer. Tow capacity is 7000 lb which need not to be derated by 20% as is the case with most vehicles.

First thing after purchase, had the water pump and timing belt replaced, changed all fluids including differentials and xfr case. Also had to replace the windshield and brakes.
    Put 30K miles on it after purchase on pavement and off with no issues so far.

Handles washboard dirt roads with ease.

'98 Jeep Cherokee
    Bought it with about 3000 miles on it on Nov 5 1998. Still own it. About 150 K on it and the engine and transmission are rock solid. It does need suspension work which I will be tackling now that retirement is setting in.

'97 Jeep Wrangler
    Bought it with about 20000 miles on it has 140k hard off-road miles on it now. Needs a transmission rebuild - looks like it's going to be a busy retirement. About a year ago took it to a shop for an alignment. They said it needed tie rod ends $750 estimate - Bah Humbug! Purchased the parts and replaced them myself for about $170, which included the drag link and Pitman arm joints.

9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I’m driving an 87 Accord. Two door. Just shy of cherry in condition. I really don’t need anything else right now. Home Depot will rent a truck to me for $19.95. 90 minutes. That’s ten times less than tabs alone. Best deal in town.

Motomom34, Dunerunner, 3cyl and 3 others like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I drive a 1992 Dodge Cummins Standard cab 4X4 truck, gets between 19 and 22 mpg, pretty good considering it's also cranking out a bunch more power then stock! It's a rock solid and dependable rig. I rebuilt pretty much every thing on it to the point it's practically a new truck and it was a lot cheaper then a newer one!
    Had to buy the wife a new rig last year, her Volvo XC-90 was starting to get expensive with the repairs, and I didn't want her breaking down some place. We really wanted the New Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, but after checking one out, we found it was too small, pretty much the same size as her old Volvo, we ended up getting a Dodge Durango SRT-8 hot rod, gets amazing gas mileage when you drive it nice, and it has explosive power when you wanna pull around and pass a string of traffic stuck behind a slow ass R.V! Loved it so much I went a got a second one for my self, o ly I got the big V-6 with mine, funny, mine dosnt get as good a mileage, but it's still awefully nice and comfortable to drive long distances
    Mine gets about 26MPG while the SRT can get 30!!!
    Motomom34, if you havnt thought about one, these Durangos are the exact same running gear as the Jeep, but have more room, and they do amazingly well in the snow! Mine is a 2015, and the wife's is a 2017!
    20180417_164034.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Man, I'm kinda embarrassed to post about my old beater 2011 4 door F-150 4X4 5.0
    I bought the extended warranty package when I bought the truck.
    So far the dealership has changed out the battery,plugs,wiper blades,brake pads and the lower block assy + the right head
    This costed me 100.00 for a basically new engine at 75K
    Oh, Maybe a little more,My service manager likes Coors Lite,So several cases of that to.
    Depending on how its feels on any given day 15.2 to 18.3 mpg.

Wifie sports a 2014 Maxima but that's her rodeo!

12. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have bought new parts for vehicles and put them on only to find out they wete bad that's how the world is today.

13. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Ah, found a picture.
    E3CB61A0-3E06-424F-BBAA-4EE638EF0075.

oldawg, Motomom34, sec_monkey and 8 others like this.
  14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Me thinks you need a horse trailer?

VisuTrac, oldawg, ghrit and 4 others like this.
  15. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Just about. We had a Nissan Pathfinder before and there wasent really enough room in the boot for the mastiff to be comfortable, never mind loading the Shepherd up to. The Isuzu has plenty of room in the back so he has room to lay down and the shepherd isn't getting squished in the corner.

16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Interesting head harness. I've never seen that before on a dog.

17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hell, That monster can eat a 12 year old in one sitting!

18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I understand.....

D6BC714F-9B14-4667-B64D-04B9C9321BE2.JPG

19. BenP

BenP Monkey++

Nothing should fail on a modern vehicle in 30k miles. You need to find a mechanic you trust.

04ish Dodge Ram 4x4 Diesel 4-Door 315k miles. Shopping for an International 4800 4 door with mechanical injection and a manual transmission.

20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Regarding the comment that struts should never fail is misleading. Seals leak, control valves fail, pistons seize and these are all sealed inside.

30k is an early demise, but not unheard of...

I truly hope these repairs rectify your issues. Rouges' biggest downfall seems to be the CVT transmission.

And to the original question, a 2008 F250 4x4, 5.4 gas engine or a 1987 Suzuki Samurai...which would nearly fit in the bed of the Ford :) each a tool for a different job.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7