What are you going to do if you get The Alert?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:cool:

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Does anyone know of a way to send iMessages via any means other than other iDevices? I ask because a)I have a work iPhone and they don't allow texting and b) I'm too cheap to move to a plan where I pay for it so I can get texting...

3. peanut

peanut Monkey+

I've had success sending texts via email. search text to cell phone and various sites will pop up. Not always convenient, I have a lot of info stored in my cell phone, numbers and such....not always convenient to find a computer, but it is an option.....

4. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

Every time I put my ear to the railroad tracks to hear what's coming the dang train runs over me.
    If something bad enough happened I think .gov would be confusing the situation. Hams are the ones that will keep real info flowing. Scanners, NOAA radios and other technologies are available to us. In my case (age) we are not into these new things like iphones, ipads. I can barely operate my DVR remote.....
    GB

oldawg and BTPost like this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

The problem with scanners is that the .gov is starting to encrypt their radios.

They do not like citizens listening to what they are doing.

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Radios have their faults. Trust me. Besides, I for one, if I knew of something I'd throw it up here fast as I could.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Even the .Gov can't hide from a Spectrum Analyzer.....

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

Will it break encryption ?

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

don't need to, right off, as it can tell you, that someone is in the neighborhood, and they are using Encrypted Comms, on Public Safety Frequencies, and give you solid Direction and Distance, from your location. Just that tells you a lot, about who and where... Then all you need to do is bring in a DSP Unit, to do the Encryption Code Breaking, and most of the local LEO Stuff is NOT DES Grade Encryption. DSP Units can usually bust the Key in about 10 minutes for most of the stuff. The new Digital Radios have proven more problematic for the LEOs than for the Listeners, and THEY DEPEND on the Repeater Systems to be active, which is their Achilles Heal. Take out a few Towers, and they are back to the StoneAge. Also all these new Digital Radios, are up in the 700-990 Mhz Bands, which makes them very short range, when compared to, the now mostly gone, old FM Radios that were VHF/UHF.... and without the Repeaters they are just Bricks.... Newer and fancier, isn't necessarily Better, in the long run....

Cephus likes this.
  10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Only thing I can think of wanting to be alerted about is the Feds carting off 'terrorists' to 'detention centers'. And in that case, my response would be depend on their tactics. Everything else that would be of concern to me are things I would probably know in advance anyway, thanks to being in a good location to know what's going on around me. On the ground at least. If there was some kind of air attack, I'd be SOL. So I don't worry about it.

11. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

In an alert my friends and family already have the pre-plan. Everyone knows their rally point and what their job is. Any one of us in the immediate plan can initiate the plan as well. Everyone has assignments and the supplies they are responsible for. We do have a listing of "triggers" but I dont feel comfortable sharing that in the open.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7