What are you preparing for? What if something else happens?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Orance Fine, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@NotSoSneaky I was back East during the beginning of the strike/battle over ownership. I heard a few conversations about empty shelves etc but not one person seemed to connect how easily food could disappear. They were thinking of the current and figured when the feud stopped the food would be plentiful. They just went to another market but never thought what if the other market also had empty shelves.

I look back now and think maybe I neglected my duty to teach preparedness. It was a perfect opportunity to get people thinking about the what if.

NotSoSneaky and kellory like this.
  2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I prep for life, since you never know what it's going to throw at you that makes it a challenge. There in an inverse relationship of the size of the situation to the likelihood of it happening. Meaning, an even that effects a large number of people is less likely than an event that effect just you. So best to prepare for those items that may affect you and only you first. Loss of a job, severe injury, family emergency, etc. Then go up to what can affect your city/county, then state, and on.
    I don't think a person/family that works on preparedness can say "I am preparing for X" and limit themselves to one thing. The chances of that one thing happening are slim, most of the time.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This week, I am Prep'ing for Winter.... Todays barge is bringing my Winter Grub Order... Once that is put away, I am set for 18 Months, of normal Living, and that doesn't count the Long Term Staples supplies. Last barge leaves Seattle next Friday @ 0'Noon Oclock, and the next barge will not come until Next May.... If I do not have it, by Sept 11, It isn't going to be here ALL Winter....

ditch witch, Motomom34 and Brokor like this.
  4. tedrow42

tedrow42 Monkey+

So far mostly i just have a small stash of silver and 2 small guns and bout 100 rnds of 9m and 1 box of 410 bird shot. I live with my grand parents will im home so there isnt alot of room for preps and no one in my family thinks anything is going to happen. Basically im just getting ready for unrest or tyranny and have it to run out to the woods by the lake think im going to make a bob with a fire starter and fishing gear and a small pump air gun for such a sanario

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I prep for economic collapse. It may be mine or it may be worldwide.

Regardless, I'm about as ready(ish) as I can be.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

I'm just a generalist. But Mr Murphy will always have other plans! Down here our biggest problem is hurricanes. But there's always advanced warning to evacuate if needed. As far as anything else goes it's a crap shoot but at least I can change the odds to my favor.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I prep cause I'm cheap .
    $ value will continue to drop no matter who is in office .
    I have already been through several disasters ,I know what it tastes like. I have been there when I'd rather have stale beans than no beans, hard cheese than no cheese .
    Shadow soup is a tough menu to survive , Being personally hungry is not so bad ,but making sure your family is fed is a whole different ball of wax.
    I have done fasting for two weeks and unscathed ,because it was a choice during which time food was readily available .
    But do that fasting when you don't know where your next meal is coming from, is far different.
    If you shut off you lights at the main to teach every one about what it's like ,that action hardly represents the real event. because you already know that at any time you can restore the power .
    But when the power is off out side your control, and has no promise of it returning, that is a more realistic event .
    When your stand by power becomes your only source indefinitely ,then you feel it .
    Then you get a better picture of how much you need ,and the what if's get more real .

Zimmy likes this.
  8. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I enjoy reading your posts, @Seacowboys , but WOW.... you nailed this one! Well done, sir, and eloquently so.

9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Interesting question. I've had graduate level training both in collage and with FEMA. I also served for several years as the Business Continuity Manager for a large utility. After writing multiple Response, recovery and restoration Plans, I almost always say this. I'm prepared to deal with a house fire.

Most disasters likely to happen in you lifetime are personal n nature.
    House fire, loss of employment, and so on. The next step up would be loss of utilities, and so on.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess it's worth repeating ---.

You can prepare for any and all foreseeable events, but those are NOT the ones that will affect you. The unforeseen events are the ones that will raise harry with your life. The idea MUST ALWAYS be to retain as much flexibility as you can, because the best laid step by step plans will go off the rails rather quickly. Basically, it is necessary to cultivate mental agility, and one way to do that is pose a scenario and chase all the conceivable results. Sorta like dot mil does on the sand tables.

Very soon, you'll figure out that a minimalist approach will cover the bases.

11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have been saying all along you have to prepare for personal shtf.
    But most people are fixated on reset button level events.
    But if you can't handle a little personal shtf, which is guaranteed to happen to all of at some point then it probably will undo most if not all your madmax, postman, waterworld, walkingdead, xfiles, starfish prime, independence day, lgbt apocalypse, etc type of preps.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I don't expect to live to enjoy all my preps, but hope that they are appreciated by those fallowing me .
    There are no guarantees in life, except that you will die eventually .
    How you live till then is what matters .
    What made our country great was loyalty and gratitude , with those missing in society today the rebuild will be slow if any.
    "I don't need you I have other friends, other means to survive " No one says this out loud but they live this way .
    It is hard to rely on people in this day and age , creating a group of like minded individuals is hard . like building a cult I imagine .
    But the fact of the mater is , your not going to survive alone very long.
    If your acceptance of defeat can occur at the first event of illness or injury why bother struggling for life at all ?
    How will you defend both your front and back door at the same time, or an ambush from all angles, or deal with an injury you cannot reach or deal with alone ?
    When will you sleep , how will you do all those things necessary for survival that usually takes a group ?
    How reliable can a person be that comes to you for help post SHTF or vise versa ,how is a group to trust you post SHTF ?
    This is a part of preparedness no one much does any thing about ,because not many people are currently in distress ..
    Those that have gone this way get demonized by the public, can you take the ridicule ? This is a part of preparedness as well .

13. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Noah built the ark before it started raining.

Zimmy likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Noah had a head's up 100 years in advance .

Oddcaliber and Zimmy like this.
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. DKR
  3. Ura-Ki
  4. duane
  5. Seepalaces
  6. john316
  7. Motomom34
  8. Meat
  9. T. Riley
  10. HK_User
  11. Motomom34