What are you using as your BOV?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by BLKFJDC, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Nightowl

Nightowl Monkey

Have you ever thought of using AMSOIL. I put it in my tractor, truck and Lawnmower. They all ran smoother, quieter and cooler. I have an f450 flatbed I use around the farm with a 7.3, and I could not believe how much quieter and smoother it ran after about 1 minute after I changed the oil... www.amssunthetics.com ...It was also funny when I put it in my zero turn lawmmower, after changing it I started towards the house from the barn to start cutting and the motor rpm sounded like it went down but it didn't it was just running smoother and quieter. I was told about it several months ago and finally was sold on it after doing some research on the internet and tried it, I will use nothing else now.

2. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Funny you mention this, as one of my friends is an AMSOIL dealer. I am gonna give this stuff a try not so sure I will do 3 times the OEM oil change interval though. Diesel's are pretty abusive on oil.

3. Nightowl

Nightowl Monkey

I am not sure I would either. I am going to still cchange my tractor, Lawnmower every year and since my truck is a farm truck that just gets about 5000 miles a year tops I will do it yearly, but for my everyday vehicles I am going to go double the miles like 6000 or 8000 between changes. I am very happy and impressed with AMSOIL so far...

4. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

1988 Jeep Wrangler Laredo w/ carbuerated (no computer at all) 258ci engine:

Laredoangle.

It's a little rough, but I seemed to get lucky and find one from down south; it has NO rust on the frame! That in itself is a rare thing for these parts. I still have to find someone to adjust the carbeurator for peak performance (harder than it sounds, nobody knows how to work on them anymore) and fuel economy. A little bit of minor body work, and some tlc for the suspension (repacking spring packs and changing the shackles out) and it should be 100% good to go.

Brokor likes this.
  5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Where did you find an '88 Wrangler without the computerized ignition? Mine has FI that can be replaced with carb, but I have been told the engine will not take a mechanical ignition...

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Wrong years- 1989 to 1990 have the TBI injection system, 1991 and up have the MPFI. There was a "computer" on my 1988- it controlled the auto-choke system of the Carter carb. I replaced the Carter with a Weber and it runs much better, but still needs adjustment.

So, up to a 1988, you can have an all mechanical system. I didn't have to do anything but pull the old stuff out.

BUT- as a side note- Chrysler has been notorious throughout the years by using up all of their stock into the next model year until they run out. That is, the 1987-88 years have the Peugot transmissions (which I do have, and will replace with an AX-15 sometime in the near future) into the middle of the 1988 model year. They should have trashed the lot of them (peugot trannys) after 1987 was over, but nope, they just kept putting in the inferior tranny until they ran out. The same goes for many other parts, so don't be supprised if you have something in your jeep that's not supposed to be there (by the book, anyway).

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

1990 Ford Bronco
    Bronco.

KAS likes this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I don't have a BOV yet, but will have the sedan paid off early next year, and will be purchasing wheels after that (especially as I'll soon after be driving north to hand the keys to the sedan to my sister, who lacks the means to ever buy a car again, sadly.....but hey, what else are little brothers good for, except taking care of older sisters, right?).

I have been researching various vehicles, however, and am torn between the following:
    1. Jeep Wrangler (2003-2006 Rubicons would be nice!), newer years. While I appreciate the whole "no computer" EMP-proof concept, it's also just as easy, in my opinion, to have spare electronics in an EMP-proof container, that you can then swap out, IF the time comes for that necessity.
    2. Jeep Cherokee (90's to early 2000's variety). Like the Wrangler, that inline-6 4-liter engine is bulletproof.
    3. Older Toyota Land Cruiser. Don't really care for the 90's models and beyond. I do like the FJ-sixty series from the 80's, I really like the FJ-55's, and I love the FJ-40's from the mid-60's thru the early 80's. Plus, as a bonus, you can pick up an older FJ that's mechanically sound for <$10K.
    4. 80's model US Army CUCV's. Back before the Hum-V's became popular (back in the bad old days of the Cold War era), the Army drove (and had pre-positioned in Germany) thousands of Chevy 1-ton 4x4 trucks and Blazers. Once the Cold War ended, they started distributing them throughout the various other government agencies that wanted them, and quite a few of them are available via government auctions (if you don't mind a fixer-upper), or via Craigslist. I actually got to drive one of these, as a work vehicle, for a few years, and let me tell you, they're pretty much bullet-proof!! 6.2-liter diesel engine, 3-speed automatic (swap it out for a newer 4-speed auto, and you'll get a great vehicle too), 24-volt electrical system (some people change that to a 12-volt, since the 24-volt was only running the starter, I believe), one ton 4x4 with leaf springs all the way around.....there wasn't much that could slow these things down! Put a mild lift kit on it, and you could stuff some really outrageous rubber underneath, too!

There's other vehicles, like IH Scouts, that I've considered, but they're getting pretty rare, so buying one at a decent price would be difficult. As I'm also going to want something that's capable of being a post-SHTF "daily driver", having something that's easier to find replacement parts for (like that CUCV) is a definite must-have.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

natshare likes this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

11. Yard Dart

The perfect ALL-SEASON boat/BOV ;)

[​IMG]

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

it'll go over and through everything, but one thing it won't get past is a gas station.

13. Yard Dart

That is a Fact VT!!!

14. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

were do u keep the spare tire?

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

In the garage?

KAS likes this.
  16. Yard Dart

[ROFL] Spare tire.....:lol:

Homer Simpson and KAS like this.
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Agree completely. I currently have Dodge 35oo's both 4x and both 6 speeds. In addition to the DEF issues I've been told anything newer than '05 will not burn off road fuel w/o shutting down. Don't know that for certain, just what I've been told. In a SHTF situation "Red" fuel may be the only thing a person comes across...

18. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I'd be really surprised if that this would float...considering the size and the weight of the running gear...

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  19. Yard Dart

I am running a 2006 Dodge 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins, love it. Blew out a water pump the other day doing a Monkey run. ;)

20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Considering the tires and the skiff, I think it just might float.

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. STANGF150
  10. Motomom34
  11. sdr
  12. Yard Dart