What are you working on this week

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by KAS, Feb 12, 2014.

1. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have supplies scattered in the different locations, need to consolidate everything. Starting my yearly list of things i want to accomplish, items i want to purchase, and skills i want to learn. Studying for my amateur radio license.

GOG and KAS like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Firewood and prepping for Winter.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ditto.

GOG likes this.
  4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Honestly? Not Jack$@!* :) I just got back home from working up north, 100 hr weeks so I've been lazin around and getting familiar with the wife..:sneaky:
    That being said, next week I have a long list to start in on. Refinishing a wood stove that I got from a neighbor.He threw it out because one blower fan quit. It sat outside last winter/ this summer so I'll completely go through it. Will make a dandy stove for the shop or the gun shop I'm hoping to open this summer. Revamping the pantry for more storage, need to trim some trees, blow out the gutters , clear a 3 acre lot, build access and put up the building for said gun shop. Pretty well booked til spring!

William Antrum, GOG, kellory and 2 others like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Replace tub surround, renew a Mosley TA33, oil change in genset. Maybe even get some sleep :)

GOG and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Sojourn

Sojourn Monkey+

Winter prep around here, pretty much ready though. Getting ready to work on Christmas lights next week, that is a bit fun in our household. Other than that, re-working our go-boxes and rotating food stocks. We do that in the fall and in the spring as part of our seasonal chores. Everything is marked so at a quick glance we can rotate as needed.

GOG likes this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Momma and I are building a "Hot Tub" out of an Old Used Double Insulated Tote.... Got some help moving it to the cabin, from the Scrap Pile... Had to drag it behind the Rhino, as it fell of the trailer, we had intended to use. Today we installed the Outlet plumbing, and in a few days we will install the Inlet plumbing, after the 5200 sets up on the Outlet Pipe. I have a 12Vdc 3 GPM Diaphragm Pump, already, and plan on a 7Kw, 240Vac, Tankless Water Heater, for $160US, from Amazon. This will draw about the same power as our Clothes Dryer, and I already have a 30Amp Service in the WellHouse, so the wiring is already there. The biggest issue seems to be getting a good Rain Storm, to fill the Tote. It is about 500USG, so that is a significant amount of Rain Water to collect. Pictures to follow.....

William Antrum and GOG like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great project... mother nature will full fill her part :)

GOG and BTPost like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Let me blow a storm up your way... we have had our fill this week.....:whistle:

GOG likes this.
  10. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

500 gallon fish tote is one hell of a tote!!!
    Are you gonna put some air fittings opn it for the bubble affect?

11. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Finally rebuilding the hay shed. Originally it was cobbled together from a bunch of trashed pallets and was mostly worthless beyond keeping rain off the hay... provided the rain came straight down. It looked like crap too.
    oldshed.
    I've got a source for free, used once pallets so I loaded up enough to redo the entire shed with a few left over.
    hayshed2.
    And then the Mr. brought home 2 massive pallets that he got from work. They'd been for some CNC machines, and had 6, five foot 4"x4" posts front on one side and 4 ten foot 4"x4" posts on the other. Or maybe they were twelve foot. They're pretty huge.
    fourbypallet.
    After stripping them down I hauled off some of the 4x4 posts to make corners for my shed.
    shed1. shed1b.
    And then used the slats we pulled off the CNC pallets to fill in the gaps. They fit perfectly except in a couple of spots.
    shed2. shed2b.
    Tomorrow I'm going to rip some pallets to 18" high and mount them all around, then we'll reattach the roof which is lying off to the side. I'll also add a center post to help support the soon to be reinforced roof. We'll move one of the IBC totes to the far end and make a small gutter to send any water coming off the roof into it. I'll post some more pics tomorrow. :)

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not planning on Air this winter, maybe next year...

HK_User likes this.
  13. ditch witch

As usual the project got stalled. Just picked up again this afternoon. I had planned to raise the roof all the way around but wound up going with a bigger slope instead. Because, I dunno, I changed my mind. Got the walls and flooring all screwed together and the roof framed out but had to stop because both batteries on the cordless drill were tapped out. And yes I can do this with hand tools... I'd just rather not if I don't have to. :D Tomorrow will get back on it, get the sheet metal put on and get the gaps on the sides filled in. And, since I don't like the hay/straw sifting down into the base pallets and turning them into mouse condos, I'll line the inside with cut up feed sacks. The sacks my feed comes in are some sort of woven plastic like a tarp, pretty much waterproof.
    shed12-6-14. Shed12-6-14b. Shedroof12-6-14.

Incidentally we're building this entirely from old scraps and free pallets. So far I haven't spent a dime on it.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    HK_User and KAS like this.
  14. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

About thirty-five year old TC Hawken cap lock in .54 cal. Needs complete clean up smoothing of the triggers and lock. Not going to refinish brass, barrel, or wood. Too much character there and still looks nice. Present from my brother and definitely will be a shooter even though .54 is a little over kill down here except for hogs.

HK_User and kellory like this.
  15. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I've been working on all the pre-planning necessary for my stone cottage. I want to have everything in place before I start building, so there are no ugly surprises, mainly courtesy of stupid county regulations.

16. ditch witch

99% done with the hay shed. I need to get some hinges to hang the pallet doors and need to cut some 4" PVC I found into a gutter for the low end. Other than that, it's finished. :) I pulled out some old flashing I'd discarded after redoing the rabbit setup and used it on the ends of the roof to protect the wood a bit. Took the 2x4s out of some pallets I ripped for the siding and slipped them into the pallet flooring so the slats wouldn't sag when I stepped on them. Now I just gotta go pick up straw and hay to fill it up. :)
    done2. done1. wellalmostdone3.

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You going to use the gutter to fill a water tank, or maybe run it to top off animals water buckets?;)

18. ditch witch

Yeah it'll go into a 330 gallon tank. Setting it up so the gutter on the chicken and rabbit houses drain to it too.

Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  19. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just finishing up a bathroom refurbishment. Spraying tub with slip resistant coating, new surround, repainting, & replace water closet with a jet-style one. Added a waterproof LED light directly above the tub...starting to look like a nice place to be ;)

Couple more coats of paint and put the trimwork in and I'm going to call it "done."

ditch witch and kellory like this.
  20. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

A ballistics calculator for Android Devices ...

William Antrum and ditch witch like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7