What can be done to prep with no money?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Shanna_Redwind, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

There are a ton of good ideas here, not for just cash-strapped, but for anyone that likes to save a $$.

I have to agree with the processed foods statements. Drop that junk that kills you anyways and start cooking more from scratch. I think gardening and canning would be the other two biggies that are low cost and can be high pay off.

Canning supplies are available at flea markets on the cheap. Spend the investment on heirloom seeds and learn to save your own. Get some free food-safe buckets from the local bakery and store those dry foods that better for you and cheaper.

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Barter your labor for these things.

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Years ago no one could sell heirloom seeds; everyone wanted the improved hybrids. LOL

I have a "precision adult air rifle" with an 3x9 which will dot a squirrel's eye at 30 yards. Accurate pellets are 500 for $13. My 22 can do the same but with more damage and less damage means more to eat. ;)

4. beast

beast backwoodsman

slingshots are legal, even in most cities
    and they dont 'bang' or cost anything for ammo
    unless youre using ball bearings

5. hedger

hedger Monkey+

So easy to overlook this. My wife has recently rediscovered our public library and she cannot believe how helpful the reference desk people are there.

Please make this a high priority; the cost is very low and the "payback" is huge. Self-education is always one of the most valuable habits to maintain.

VisuTrac, thebastidge and beast like this.
  6. Gordo

Gordo Monkey+

Don't be discouraged due to a lack of cash Shanna, although I know how frustrating it can be. Like <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->thebastidge said - read as much as you can and remember that "the most important tools are in your head"

If you havn't already, try and get your hands on some chickens if you can afford/source them (for eggs).
    Rabbits are also very easy to breed in cages (they breed like rabbits) and the meat is in my opinion very nice. Again if you can source/afford them get some fruit trees. If you don't own the land you are on, grow them in pots like I do and then you can take them with you anywhere. I have mandarin, lemon, apple, blueberry and even a couple of coffee plants in pots. Some of them are 7 years old and give a good yield. Awsome source of vitamins and then you will have to learn to make jams etc lol.
    As long as you don't forget to water them, you shouldn't have a problem.
    Your solar garden light idea is a good one. I have ended up with a couple of really efficient ones that will charge the AA's efficiently. As well as light they can then be used for other things at a pinch.
    Stay positive and take care :)

chelloveck likes this.
  7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I originally misread your post Gordo - I thought you said you grew your rabbits in pots and took them with you whenever you went. It was my first laugh of the day.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

And this is why I love this board.

9. emh1701

emh1701 Monkey+

Learn to barter. This will be the primary means of acquiring goods when SHTF anyway, might as well get the skill now.

Get a hobby which you can sell or barter the goods made from it, and which you can use cheap, free, and/or used items to make the stuff from. Learning how to make something from seemingly nothing is an excellent skill to have.

Figure out what you are spending money on that you can do without. Sit down and write a list. Most people buy things which they can do without, it's just a matter of finding out what. A lot of people, for example, buy soda pop. It's amazing what you can do when you don't spend $5 a week or so on soda pop. $10 on going to see a movie? See it at the matinee and save $5. Better yet, don't get popcorn. Or wait until it comes on Redbox and only spend $1.

Dehydrating food is another way of preserving it besides canning. It's something to look into.

10. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Shanna, 'bout 15 yrs ago the IRS broke me along with some bad business deals. That winter the family lived on venison and a friends dented cans pantry (his wife was a grocery inspector and collected them). We made it through that hard time and kept the lights on. We went through all our preps/MREs and savings during those few months. Since then we have made sure we can make it at least one year with our preps. Go to a farmer and buy grain right out of his silo. Wheat/corn and a grain mill will give you flour/meal with oils, salt, and soda. Ask deli and resturant owners for their jars and buckets(freebies) or wash out five gallon paint/sheet rock putty buckets at construction sites. I still dumpster dive for cake/popcorn tins, usable lumber, and other usable things. People amaze me at what they throw away. My second grain mill was bought for $5 and the sausage grinders for about $2-3 each. Raise some chickens for eggs/meat (better for you) and rabbits (yes they do multiply quickly). Build "tractors" to move around in your garden/lawn so they can get fresh grass and fertilize as they go. Plant some fruit trees-friends gave me some thornless blackberry, fig, and putting in about 20 blueberries this fall-all free. You can "domesticate" wild blackberry plants along fence lines or outbuildings that will produce well with a wee bit of fertilizer(manure).
    We still buy extra bags of beans, rice, and condiments whenever possible. Prepping is an ongoing process. You will never get "too much"--think of it as an investment to barter with in hard times. Salt/pepper/cocoa/spices will last indefinately and will be worth more than money--don't forget coffee when it is on special. Some would kill for a fresh cup of "java". My next thrust is big cans of tobacco. Best to you in your efforts. Start slowly, plan your steps, keep an eye peeled for bargains/sales, and put something up every week even if only a can of evaporated milk or a bag of beans/peas/pasta.

Cephus likes this.
  11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Yes I love this board as well. And so many great ideas here to this thread. So Ill add it all up if I can.

Garden =canning and fresh food ,you need to start canning some of your produce.
    Get some chickens and bunnies and feed them off the scraps of the garden, clover, alfalfa, dandelions etc.
    Hunt and fish. There are sometimes up to 200 pounds of meat in my freezer from hunting and fishing.

To save your freezer you will need to find a way to make 15 amps of power. A small generator or solar setup . I know its expensive but start with fresh. Dont catch more fish then you can eat. Dont shoot more then you can eat. The money you save on meat buys you a small generator.

W e all crawled first then walked and some of us are even running now. Im still building but today that garden fed me. I have Rabbits and fresh eggs.

It starts with a dream of independence. Freedom from the store. Even broke you can dream and dream build. That will lead you to do it. Welcome to the forums. Kingfish

12. ArmyRanger

ArmyRanger Monkey+

Along with all of the other good ideas mentioned here, I also have been able to stock my bags with freebies from the many giveaway sites on the internet. I get a lot of evergy bars, sample sized items (toothpaste, bandages, etc.) just from doing a little surfing. You do have to fill out a lot of forms (auto fill helps a lot) and there are times when I am too late or they have run out of samples, but it's just one of many ways to build supplies on a budget. Good luck.

13. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

A lot of great advice that everyone has given. We are on a budget just like almost everyone else is. Not to mention my wife is against prepping as well so i have another obstacle to dodge.

One thing we started doing is making stuff for dinner that is relatively inexpensive and that we can have enough for left overs for lunch or dinner the next day. For example, chicken and rice, chicken black beans and rice, chilli, and ect.

14. emh1701

emh1701 Monkey+

Leftovers are essential to saving money IMHO.

Also, cooking in bulk and cheaply. I have a decent collection of cookbooks now. Casseroles are great for freezing and taking to work the next day for lunch.

15. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

You are correct. Tonight i made some chili for dinner. For around 6 dollars i made enough to eat for dinner for 4 to 5 nights(family of 3). I was very proud of myself. I did freeze some so i could have it later. Don't want to get burned out on my chili. lol

16. beast

beast backwoodsman

i make my chili in a 20 qt pot
    whats leftover i pour in jars and can it for later

Sapper John likes this.
  17. tommyboy4090

tommyboy4090 Monkey+

I am not up to date on canning and how it is done. How long will canned chili last?? How does canning preserve it?? How can you can stuff without having a pressure canning thing??

18. beast

beast backwoodsman

google 'hot water bath' canning
    ive never used a pressure cooker to can

19. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I use the hot water bath too. I prefer that to the pressure cooker

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7