What Can't You Do?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What can't I do? I can't quietly sit by and watch scum take advantage of kids and other innocents. (Speaking up has got me in hot water with "authority figures" on more than one occasion.)

If the question is aimed at what I can't do relative to survival situations, camp cooking would be a fail if dietary variety is a requirement. I'm a buy it and fry it kinda yokel, so the menu would be very limited, as in heating beans and frying meats.

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I had a Ford F-100 '66 with a three on the tree. It took a bit of practice to learn that pattern consistently, but I grew up with stickshifts. My dad's driver training had a few quirks not found in any books.
    To pass his tests, we had to drive 40 miles an hour through alleys and not hit anything, come up to a red light uphill, and when the light turned green start from a dead stop in a random direction at his command, and not stall it.
    We went airbourne in a volkswagon bug, so we would know what it felt like to loose friction with the road, and how to use an emergency brake when the hydrolics fail.
    We had to change oil, and rotate tires, fix a flat, and change a battery, because if you owned a car it would be expected you know how.
    We always carried a mountain dew bottle in that car, for oil, because oil cans were cans and once open could not be reclosed, and that car never needed more than half a quart at a time. We learned to keep hunting gear in the trunk, so when it got stuck on snow drifts, we would hunt a while and the engine heat would melt the snow away so we had traction again. If we didn't have that much time, we would pick the car up and move it ourselves. So always have glove, and tools you might need.

I will never match my dad as an instinctive shooter. I've seen him shoot from the hip with pistol, and hit thrown bottles, or clip apple free by shooting the stems.
    I will never be the cook my mother is. Fore she could make a meal of nearly anything, and you'd eat it. (With a few memorable exceptions):eek:
    From my mother, I learned to find humor in life. She could have been a comic. ( though it would probably have been slapstick) she could have you in tears laughing while she folded a map (and did)[LMAO] she can make you laugh when you want to cry. I will never inspire laughter with such a natural gift, or make someone feel so loved. I simply don't have that much natural talent.
    I never knew we were poor. I didn't feel poor, I didn't understand why other kids couldn't plumb a sink or replace a light switch, build a wall or roof a house. If it needed to be done, we just found a way to do it. It never occurred to me, we did it because we could not pay someone else to do it.
    So what can I not do? I don't really know, because I haven't found it yet. Lots of things I have no training in or the opportunity to try, but if one man can do it, so can another. If it must get done, I'll figure out some way to get it done, even if it is not what you expected.

As for sledgehammers, there is a technique, that varies depending upon what you want it to do. I've spent a lot of hours swinging a big hammer, and if you wish, I will share that knowledge.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nothing I can't do just things I haven't tried

There are many things I haven't tried but nothing I can't do once I decide to do it except.......as Brokor said, endure small talk. I'm not good at it and have never cultivated a talent for wasting time.

When it comes to a stick shift, my first few cars had a manual choke so you can imagine there was no Automatic transmission. When you bought a car, that was extra. I wouldn't let my daughter take her driving test until she could drive a stick. She balked and whined and thought I was the most unreasonable parent on earth but to this day, still prefers a stick (like her mother) to an auto and she used the same rule for her children :ROFLMAO:

4. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

Last night I found out I can't sleep thinking of all the things I can't do! The list is long and boring. I can tell you that I wanna learn to make a bow. Not saying I can't because I haven't tried. That said, I can't sit around and wait to do the things I need to can do.

AD1, ghrit, kellory and 3 others like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Yard Dart really great topic. ;)

One of the things that I think about this is in a post SHFT world you can't do everything. So choosing what's important for survival is critical and after that you need other people.

I think melbo posted a book early this year where the guy described a situation of needing a community. So while we need individual skills we also need social skills to get along. People who depend on each other are much more polite to each other.

For me there are 3 basic categories. 1) Things you like to do and can trade, 2)things you have to do and 3)things you could do or would like to learn.

Example: I love good wood furniture. I have zero interest in learning to do woodwork. I love gardening, cooking and herbal medicine so I cultivate learning and doing in those areas. I like to crochet. I make stuff and trade it. I hate working out but I was born with a body that requires lots of exercise. I don't really like going to the shooting range but I do it because I think it's a necessary skill. I could go back to making and firing pottery if needed. God help me if I have to start chopping my own wood!

My point is that time and priorities are key in deciding what is important to each of us as individuals to develop as a skill set. In the end you still need other people

Having said all that I would like to learn to shoot a crossbow and fletch arrows. I don't see that happening for 5-6 months given my current schedule

Georgia_Boy, Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have two crossbows. Come on over, I'll teach you. ;)

Ganado likes this.
  7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@Ganado My God woman, how could you not like going to the range!!!!!!!!

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol I have made it fun going with the girls. Alot of them are new so it's fun to see them grow in confidence. I have to find ways to keep it appealing. I grew up with guns. Killed my 1st deer at age 14 and was shooting snakes long before that so it's lost its appeal. Shooting is a skill set that I think is critical and if you dont use it you lose your edge so I go. Hope that answers your question.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Had a lil gal last year in the Lowes parking lot that was almost car jacked.
    Seems the fine young democratic couldn't drive a stick!
    They picked him up on foot a few minutes later.

10. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I learned to swing a sledgehammer on my first real job out of high school. I went to work on a construction site and there was a BIG man that would swing a sixteen pound hammer most of the day. He showed me that by swinging the hammer in a continuous motion without a pause, you used far less energy. Trick was to lock your eyes on what you where driving. Splitting wood with a hammer is a good example.

Set the wedge in the log with a couple tap's of the hammer, rest the hammer face on the wedge grasping the hammer handle at the end with both hands. Pull the hammer off the wedge swinging it in a circular arc. As it strikes the wedge pull it off into another arc. Repeat until desired effect is accomplished. You have to keep your eyes locked on the target or you will miss.
    The same applies to riding bull's. If you look anyplace other than the neck of a bull, that is the place you will land when it throws you.. Instinctive shooting? Hmmm??

11. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

According to my wife, anything. biglaff

I'm about to buy a welder and teach myself how to weld.
    I need to fab up some antenna and light mounts for the truck.

12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Remember appropriate eye protection. Flash burned eyes HURT! (er, so I've heard ;) )

NotSoSneaky, BTPost and Ganado like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

How many can find the starter switch on a 49 Ford Pickup.

Sapper John and oldawg like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That I CAN Do, HK.... It is on the FloorBoard...

Tully Mars, HK_User and Ganado like this.
  15. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

Didn't drive stick shift until age 28 -- but then drove a manual Honda Civic for the last 14 or 15 years, so I would say I've gotten used to it.

Things I think I should learn (and think will be useful should the SHTF)..

Can't: Run electrical wire, but over the last 2 years feel that I've learned a lot about electrical, both AC and DC. Just don't feel confident and always want someone to check things. But I have run plenty of CAT5e and speaker wire (just in my own house) so I can do 'runs' and feel that I'm learning more about electrical.

Can't do wood working / carpentry. I know about as much as the average guy in North America -- which means I feel I have a lot to learn. Think that would be useful in a new world scenario.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  16. RightHand

I think there is a big gap between "can do" and "can do like a professional." I'm not a master plumber but have made plumbing repairs that were required through the years. I certainly did them in a different way than my professional plumber clients would but 20 years later, they are still holding up. In a SHTF era, we will all just do the best that we can and learn as we go. No, they won't be perfect but we will get better as we gain more experience. More things I would would like to try than there are hours in a year's worth of days but for now, I do what's needed when its needed and leave the rest for the day I retire.

Homer Simpson and Ganado like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

RH, don't say that work (reTIRE) to loud, around the Office.... A certain fellow might just have a Heart Attack......

RightHand likes this.
  18. RightHand

LOL Every now and then, if I've had a particularly difficult period, I actually say it out loud. That usually results in a good long chat over a cold supper. I think that we all have to vent sometimes

19. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I cannot gargle peanut butter and carry a tune at the same time.

Ganado likes this.
  20. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

There is something that I can do unfortunately, and that is clean waste lines (drains). I purchased a drain auger for a job and word got out that I owned one. Now whenever a friend or relative has a clogged drain they call me. Clearing drains is nasty work and as long as I have been plumbing I should not have to do it. I caught my mom pouring grease down the drain, I told her not to do that, it will clog the drain. She replied "its okay honey you have one of those drain clean things" Augggggug

Georgia_Boy, Tully Mars, Dont and 4 others like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat