What Do You Choose?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TailorMadeHell, Apr 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Okay, you are in traveler mode. This means you have no bug-out or bug-in location. You are a leaper, from one situation to the next. What ten, and only ten, items would you carry? You can throw in the "why" if you want.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

At the minimum a backpack with essentials. Fire, food, water, shelter, and weapons. As long as I am not traveling by air, I always travel with my backpack that has enough of the above to keep me going for at least three days. Ten items, first has to be water, a Camelback preferably, then a water filter. Three, food....mountainhouse, spam, protein bar, whatever you prefer. Four.....a small tent of tarp for shelter, five....a pistol, for me that means .45 or a .357. Then paracord which has so many uses, A really good knife, a small cup, a small hatchet or shovel, sleeping bag, and last but not least a rifle. If I had more room then a small jet boil type stove, small first aid kit, and duct tape.

Guit_fishN likes this.
  3. knuckleHead

knuckleHead Monkey

Great Question

Not in this order but here goes:

Backpack
    water bottle
    para-cord
    Nylon tarp
    fishing kit(for fish or use line to snare)
    fire starter
    knife
    first aid kit
    change of socks
    Change of underwear

Tried to cover 3 main (water, shelter, food)
    After that what made sense.

4. happyhunter42

happyhunter42 Monkey+++

1 firestarter kit
    2 stainless water bottle
    3 6" knife full tang
    4 backpack
    5 waterproof tarp
    6 paracord or bankline
    7 first aid kit
    8 sewing kit
    9 cooking pot
    10 shovel

5. *Some type of carrying item like a backpack

*Knife - solid fixed blade, flat or convex ground 4 - 6 inch blade similar to a kephart type with sheath

*Duc tape

*cordage

*firesteel / striker (although my knife sheath has one so maybe it counts as part of my knife.

*repair kit (needles / buttons / pins / etc)

*pipe n smoking blend of the moment.

*boonie hat or wool watch cap

*wool anarok / pullover

*personal hygene like toothbrush paste n comb n shampoo / soap kit

6. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Yeah I should have been clear on the jumper thing. Wrong term. Meant more like wanderer. All sounds good to me. Here's mine...

1 Backpack
    2 Rifle
    3 Fire starter
    4 Water purifier tablets
    5 My kukri blade
    6 550 cord
    7 first aid kit
    8 altoid can portable fishing kit
    9 military canteen cup
    10 pistol

arleigh likes this.
  7. maleaco

maleaco Monkey+

Took my ten items straight outta my head!

8. For wanderer like in book of ely etc

1. gunsite scout rifle by ruger with ammo and clean kit in a shoulder bag along with my other possibles. (Thanks to a fellow I know I bought mine a few weeks ago, and I love this thing, even if it is kind of pricy. He loves his also.)

2. A kephart style fixed blade knife with a firesteel on the sheath and sharpener in the possibles bag.

3. Canteen with canteen cup, spoon n aluminum foil and p38 in the canteen pouch.

4. Fire / tinder box (Can never have to much fire, or ways to make it.)

5. handaxe or hawk Prefer a 3/4 axe tbh, not certain which one i would take though. (sharpening stuff tied with knife sharpening stuff)

6. first aid kit (the basic 3 items are duc tape; triple antibiotic ointment; and super glue. With those three I can fix most emergencies. Add in some aspirin, and anti diarrhea pills.)

7. wool blanket / poncho liner etc. (something to wrap around me over my cloths which would be wool given the choice.)

8. Hygiene stuff (clean is both comfort and health) Gonna cheat and stick in a towel here. many many uses for a nice towel around your neck.

9. binoculars or other to look far off.

10. hooded anarak of wool with ventile on outside.

These are a good basic idea if it is something like that. to be honest, if it gets that grubby I suspect it would have reached the point where what you have is what you got. lot of make do .

Also I never only carry one blade, I also have a pocket knife, and a SAK with me. and a pair of vise grip needle nose plyers is very handy.

Cordage I can make, also usually have some wrapped around my knife sheath and in most pockets. I both carry and just twist cordage all the time as a way to kind of relax. Same way my Mom usually has her knitting with her where she goes.

have fun out there and keep smiling, makes em wonder what ya have planned next that they aren't gonna like. :)

Thad

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ten isn't enough for me - EVERY pack starts with the Ten Essentials outlined in Freedom of the Hills, and a gun* isn't included

* by gun I mean rifle, and by rifle I mean an AR

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  10. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Just got a nice backpack from neighbor's yard sale, meant for day trips hiking. It's got LOTS of compartments. It's my new purse/go bag. I at the moment have an umbrella, towel, native plants book for our area, mushroom ID guide, first aid kit(peroxide, bandaids, gauze, cotton balls, ibuprofen, antibacterial wipes, and medical tape), travel sewing kit, my pills, travel hairbrush, manicure kit, multi-tool, knife, LED flashlight that requires 2 AA batteries, 10pack of AA batteries to keep it going, matches(gotta find my magnesium), toothpicks, salt/pepper packets, my coconut sugar dispenser, a spork, a pen, a little notepad, a sharpie, 2 packs of snack crackers(always have some kind of food for my blood sugar), leftover cookies I made last week, my IDs(not plural as in fake IDs, plural as in passport, state ID card, Bi-Mart card, library card, etc), my health coverage papers, a work T-shirt, maxi pads, napkins, headphones for my laptop(my laptop has its own carry case), and I plan to put more in it as I find it, like my copy of Forager's Harvest, pocket astronomy guide, pocket tracking guide, my other sharp pointy metal defense mechanisms, etc.

And since the backpack is one item, I am still under quota :)

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Battle ax
    Carving Knife
    Greatcoat
    Bow/Longarm
    Arrowbag full of arrows/Ammos!
    Ferrorod
    Canteen or trade kettle
    Diamond Hone
    Tarp
    Bankline

12. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh I will have to check tomorrow morning if I put those 2 trash bags in it. A box of soap and face masks are already in it as well.

Ganado, Motomom34 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Haha.

14. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Oh by face masks I mean like surgical masks, not disguise masks. And I need to remember to put some chalk in it, a roll of toilet paper, and the Oregon map too. I want some gorilla tape just for my backpack. I've got copper wire in it as well.

15. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Pack
    Glock
    Spyderco
    MSR filter
    Nalgene bottle (full of water)
    Gerber tool
    4 MREs

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Chalk? For marking the way and leaving notes?

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Outlines?

chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I leave the Outlines to the Body Bag Crowd... Just let them Rot where they Lie...

19. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Yeah and the chalk ingredients might come in use as well for something or other. (hmmm this didn't post earlier this morning when I thought I posted it).

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

But what about your tracker-mole monster? Haha. I'd think you would get more use out of it. Haha.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. ED GEiN
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  6. DarkLight
  7. Fatum1965
  8. Thunder5Ranch
  9. Motomom34
  10. ED GEiN
  11. Imasham
  12. Brokor
  13. TailorMadeHell
  14. stg58
  15. Brokor
  16. Brokor
  17. ebugout