What do you have socked away???

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Mule, May 7, 2008.

1. Mule

Mule Monkey++

I know everyone is at different places in their preparedness so I am intersted in rough terms what you have so far on the food front. I have the following:

36 lbs each of white beans, split peas, black beans, red beans, black eyed peas, pinto beans

300 lbs red winter wheat
    300 lbs whole corn
    50 lbs oats
    50 lbs Quinoa
    100 lbs flour
    30 gal of oil
    35 lbs spahgetti noodles
    400 lbs white rice
    50 lbs penut butter
    100 lbs Honey
    100 cans misc veg and fruits
    2 elk and 1/2 cow in freezer

These are the basics plus an assortment of spices, and cooking support items. I am waiting as late as possible to fill the can goods.

Anyway I would like to see what others have and quantities to compare to help me fill out my pantry and see where I need to go

Thanks Mule

2. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

....no place the amount you do, that's for sure!

At the end of winter:
    *At least 100# of flour still and 50# wheat berries
    *~30# cornmeal
    *120# oat flakes (will be replaced this fall)
    *50# non-instant dry milk
    *flats of canned goods under the bed - haven't counted exact numbers
    *flats of canned goods elsewhere - """
    *flat of peanut butter also under the bed
    *couple flats of homemade cherry jam & cherry syrup now in storage :D
    *several flats of water/flavored water (use whatcha got)
    *30# or so of rice
    *probably close to 30# of various pastas
    *~30# pinto beans
    *~30# split peas
    *other beans
    *more blackstrap molasses than honey, but both tucked away
    *all sorts of other misc stuff like yeast, garlic powder, sea salt, etc.

Last freezer just went out (have run two for years but now both are kaput :( ). Planning to get another, but can can meat instead. Also planning to have it "on the hoof" this year - chickens, rabbits, ducks, goat (maybe).

I prefer to store for mid-term rather than hoard for long term. The garden will greatly augment stores this fall. Hoping to grow wheat and or oats over the winter, as well. Waiting for grain prices to stabilize to buy more - hopefully that happens really soon.

Need to get whole oats and such for animal feed (people fodder if necessary ;)).

( "~" means "approx")

3. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

How is the Blackstrap Molasses packaged? Will is keep for a long time? I sure like cooking with it, so I'll have to find a source for bulk (depending on its storage properties).

4. FalconDance

I get blackstrap in the gallon for $5-$7/gal. I'm sure it comes in larger qtys for more savings, but that's a convenient size (and readily available at our local Amish store. Anything larger would have to be special order and involve shipping costs.). If you don't use dirty utensils and pollute the molasses with bits, it doesn't spoil (that I know of) - worst thing to happen is it crystalizes and then you just put it in a warm pan of water the same as crystalized honey to re-liquify.

I had a tin of blackstrap around for years, already opened (you know, gets shoved to the back of a cabinet, never to see the light of day until you move), and upon re-opening, it was perfectly fine! A bit crystalized but snapped right back, ready to flavor and sweeten in no time.

For more convenience, I pour out of the gallon into a smaller container to keep handy for cooking just like I do honey. Buying in gallons saves a lot of money but is unwieldy.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

"Sulphur and molasses" was always around at gran'ma's house. She got it ready mixed at the farmer's market. I do not remember what it was supposed to be good for, but tasted awful. Unsulphured was pretty good in place of sugar on the wheat biscuits for breakfast.

6. Mule

Mule Monkey++

I have had the same experience with the "sweet black" with some stuff running over ten years old as no one else uses it. It was out of Arky made the old way and is just the best. If you live in the deep south (The Big Easy) then you can get "Ribbon Cane syrup" which is the "molases" of this area.

Mule

7. FalconDance

No, no, no. UNsulphured! (Some of us have sulphur sensitivities/allergies.)

8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

So far:
    150# Organic Hard winter red wheat.
    1000# Wheat Germ.
    3000# Yellow 5 Dent Corn
    500# Stabilized Rice Bran
    2gal Honey
    50# Sugar
    16# Hodgon Benchmark Propellant
    16# Hodgon Varget Propellant
    8# Hodgon Clays Propellant
    8# Hodgon Longshot Propellant
    25,000 various Primers
    100# plus range lead
    This is just the Major stuff.

9. Mule

Mule Monkey++

So what food group is Hodge Propellant in----Beans???

Mule

10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Don't know, all I know is I have an insatiable appetite for shooting.

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We have probably 50# of flour and about the same of sugar, a closet size pantry over filled with canned goods, 2 freezers full of meats and a few odds and ends, 120 gallons of water in barrels 30# or so of oat meal and some other stuff.

Then we have the 2 adult female goats to milk and 1 adult female waiting to be butchered and 3 baby male goats to butcher this fall, 13 acres of our own to forage (lots of berries and other eadibles), a couple rabbits to breed and should be getting the stimulus check next week which will put a couple calves and a bunch of chickens on the place among other things. We also have a 50'x50' garden plot to plant as soon as it stops raining for a few days so can get into it and a shoebox full of seeds.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7