What do you see when looking at your neighbors?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by carly28043, Mar 4, 2012.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The kid next door and his buddies are the only ones I'm concerned about. But they are stupid, as late teens tend to be. His mother is an unknown, but some of her "boy friends" leave something to be desired. The rest of us up here don't advertise much, and most of us are, ah, "mature". I'm the only one certified to bug in. There are some unknowns, that is, hunting cabins that could be intended as places to be if SHTF. I'll have to keep an eye on those places, at least three of them haven't been occupied or even visited in three years.

What they see of me is a scrawny old guy that putters in the yard. Everything else goes on inside, including loading out the pickup to go to the range. One guy knows I shoot trap, and that's about it.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

NEVER, this live is short, and Jeasus will come again. OK enough preaching.

The first and main responsibility is to yourself and family period. If theres wiggle room left to help neighbors do it.

The main thing is dont make yourself a target, the less people know about you the better off you are. Never ever let anyone become dependant on you outside of your direct immediate family, help if and only if you are able to.

I realize it will be tough to turn people away, but watching your own family surrer is even tougher.

3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I take a different approach...I sit on the back of my truck and clean my shotgun's...
    I'm not a ''soft'' target...So they know too just Move Along...lol

ditch witch and larryinalabama like this.
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

Theyll send a couple of "GIRLS" after ya.

5. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Most people who travel on the road I live on tend to avoid my place and if walking,will usually cross to the other side of the street.I am probably considered the "spooky" guy in the area and people pretty much stay away...Of course, I have run a few folks off at gunpoint over the years so the word tends to get out.I prefer it and prefer to be left alone as does my wife!

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Bring em' Not my first rodeo...lol;)

larryinalabama and Alpha Dog like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Never hurts to have the Neighbors who do NOT really Know you, think that you are A " Crazy A**ed NutJob, that shoots Guns ALL the Time".... Ask "Me" how I know....

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Ok...This dog will hunt...
    I take it you've been there,done dat ...lol

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yea, It will take a phone call to get that Story, though.... To long to type out....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That's what blogs are for. Do it in word at your leisure, then copy paste.

11. hedger

hedger Monkey+

Bingo!

Misdirection is our friend. In other words, it is good to be acting/dressing "gray" so as to be practically un-noticed. With that in mind, a hat or some t-shirts with "green" logos/messages could possibly provide a bit of camouflage for some of us.

12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I'm an avid gardener and I keep backyard chickens and bees so I attract a lot of interest around my neighborhood, as well as from the city puppets who are still trying to slip an ordinance under my radar to ban beekeeping in town. When the neighbors would comment I would immediately go off on the horrors of factory farming and animal cruelty, the unhealthy evils of processed food and high fructose corn syrup, the benefits of eating organic heirloom tomatoes fertilized with Moroccan princess crap and bathed in the sunlight of blah blah blah. It didn't take long for my neighbors to hear their phone ringing and back away quickly. They like me for the eggs and peppers but think I'm one dead husband away from becoming a crazy cat lady.

I thought our fuel suckers would squirrel the tree hugger image, but they just chalk that up to us being libtard hypocrites who preach electric cars while driving 14 mpg trucks.

13. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Why the heck would they want to ban beekeeping? They understand that the buzz you get from beekeeping has nothing to do with drugs right? Do they not understand bees' role in pollination?

I could understand the chickens if you had a rooster, which caused many phone calls to the local PD...but not the bees. [loco]

14. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

When I was a kid, we used to have three hives, & we lived in a residential area. IIRC, it is extremely difficult to enact a law that completely restricts beekeeping because of their roll in pollination, though it is common to limit the number of hives you can have. Check to see if there is a local beekeeper's association in your area and get in good with them. They are a great resource for knowledge on local laws, and often have access to legal resources to fight attempts on restriction.

15. carly28043

carly28043 Monkey+

Most of my neighbors think I am an average person, living an average life. I do garden, but several people in the neighborhood do. I work third shift, so most of my activities are while others are away from home. I have items shipped elswhere then pick them up. I think a few believe I am a lesbian, as my adult neice lives with me and they are not real communicative with the rest of the neighborhood. It is an active neighborhood in the middle of a town of 7 to 8 thousand people. I don't share the fact that I prep. I do however try to peg the others in my neighborhood. I'm a planner by nature. I just keep getting the feeling that I am missing something. So my question is: when sizing up someone do you go on gut instinct? Is there some other evidence you look for in character?

tulianr and oldawg like this.
  16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Look for cues. We don't have the time to get to know everyone we come into contact with, so we use "cues" and non-verbal body language to determine how we interact with people.

These cues MAY lead us to make the wrong decision about people without knowing more about them...but, the alternative is to pet every dog you see....sooner or later, you're going to get bit.

An example: you're in a convenience store late at night and two guys come in. They have the same tattoos (or handkerchiefs...whatever...doesn't matter). Those are cues that may signify "gang members...leave now." If two guys came in wearing yarmulkes, you'd probably continue your shopping. Statistically, which pair are you more likely to be harmed by? Lots of libtards mistakenly call this profiling. Wrong! It's making a decision based on known facts of reality. You MAY be wrong about the first pair, but to ignore these cues based on "what should be" is ridiculous.

See if you can check this out of the library:
    Amazon.com: Crime Signals: How to Spot a Criminal Before You Become a Victim (9780312362614): David Givens: Books

Also, there is a whole science around determining whether or not someone is lying. Nonverbal Signs of Lying - Truth About Deception

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2015
    tulianr and carly28043 like this.
  17. Lucky Johnson

Lucky Johnson Monkey

Not many neighbors on this street, but what I see is this....

The older couple next door is trustworthy, but the husband is in bad health and would likely not survive a SHTF situation. The couple next to them would be the first to turn somebody in. They don't get along with anybody on our street. The other two are unpredictable, and therefore not trustworthy in my book.

Now if you were to ask about my family, I could tell you for sure. Out of my relatively large family, the only ones I could trust would be my spouse, my father, and my mother-in-law.

carly28043 likes this.
  18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Guit has it right, the only thing I would add is to honestly assess your past score of reading people.If you've mis judged in the past it ain't likely to improve in a stressful situation. But above all always practice OPSEC.Best to miss one you might trust than to trust six you shouldn't have. jmho.

19. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Heck mine are already zombies. Gov't dependent crackheads all round :rolleyes:

STANGF150 likes this.
  20. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

Mistakes, we all make 'em

Working with students that are court ordered to attend Alternative schools, I have a highly defined Bravo Sierra meter. But I still make mistakes. The biggest mistake I made was a letting a buddy of mine (Former Marine and Army Scout) in on my prepping. Turned out he was extremely unreliable and untrustworthy. We prepped and trained together for two years, before I realized that I had made a major mistake in trusting him. He hid his problems/defects well. He was in charge of small arms training for our rag tag little group of Spartans and was very good at all the tactical aspects of training. Unfortunate for me, he was also a psychopath taking lots of meds. He finally came out and said that he did not prep for food or meds because he would take anything he needed from anyone else; including me and my friends. Major game changer. All the OPSec in the world is useless when the snake is within the group. Got real lucky on this one! As he was killed in a car accident several months after revealing his true nature. As a lesson learned, everyone is vetted to the nth degree now; no more “He’s OK, he is a military buddy of Mine" B.S.. Now if you don't have a signed letter from the Friggin' POPE, I don't even want to know your name.
    As for my neighbors, I am the guy down the road that shoots alot and always carries a pistol. They think that I am a little crazy, but willing to help out if you're in trouble or just need a jump for the truck.
    Gafarmboy

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7