What do you see when looking at your neighbors?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by carly28043, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

I look at my neighbors like they're all brain washed sheeple. They might not be, but when shtf I don't plan on relying on staying in any neighborhood. Those will become beacons for people who weren't prepared and potential sources to alleviate their lack of supplies. Much easier to get to the rally point, establish comms, and wait for the party. Or, if you're late, join the party. In my opinion, your either in, or in the way. I won't have time to judge someone's intent or resolve once shtf. I have a chosen few who are on the same page, a cache of vitals, and an ao that will be highly improbable for guests until the picture of what is happening starts taking shape. In my experience, if you have to ask about someone, you probably already know the answer. Doesn't make it true, but instinct, and trusting your gut is safer than getting blindsided by a soccer dad you never saw coming.

Ganado likes this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I went to look at the county property records and drew my neighborhood in CAD. I have twp drawings - my full neighborhood and the portion of it I think will be strategic during a crisis. In the strategic drawing, I've been filling in information about my neighbors - names, phone numbers, pets, asset list, liability list as I learn more. For example (fictitious):

Jerry and Mary Jones 123-456-7890
    Retired, no children

Asset:
    Friendly always willing to help
    Knows everybody in the neighborhood
    Organizational skills
    Interest in emergency communications
    Vet - Vietnam helicopter pilot
    Tools/hardware

Liability:
    Medical issues (both)
    No preparations, but considering it
    I also use this strategy as well in combination: Classifying your neighbors before SHTF | Survival Forums which is where I got the idea in the first place.

The map method is also helpful in determining where you may need to establish roadblocks or areas where others can infiltrate or you can exfiltrate. For example, I found a paved path out of my cul-de-sac that you wouldn't know existed unless you looked for it. If I cut down a few barriers I could actually drive through if needed.

3. Gaowlpoop

Gaowlpoop Monkey++

I have one "neighbor" that is a sphincter surounding a void. I have another (only have 2) that gave me the keys to his house and shop so if anything happened while he was away I could get in and take care of it.

The sphincter doesn't do anything illegal, he just does things that show he really doesn't care about any one but himself.

My favorite example is going out on Easter Sunday morning and shooting round of target practice ---- not illegal but not the most endearing thing to do.

The other guy will be the one you want on your side when SHTF. He was an army sniper. He can still take out a squirl at 100 yards. He only shoots them in the head by the way. He helps me, I help him. It works quite well that way.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I know a guy like that. Come SHTF he will be busy taking care of his own, but if he needs a fallback position he can join up with me and mine without hesitation.

5. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I live in a cluster of seven homes on 2-3 acre lots surrounded by three farms. The kin of the farmer who's land surrounds me to the east and north own the homes behind me, while the son of the man who built my home back in the 60s lives across the road from me and his kin own the farm behind him. My other neighbors are a retired couple who have lived in the house next-door since the early 70s and the place next to him is owned by the brother & family of the man who I bought this place from. The home behind him just sold and we haven't seen the folks who bought it yet.

All my neighbors are good folks who have lived here and known each other for decades, while we are still noobs to the community, having only been here since July. It's less about what I see in them and more about what they see in us at this point. While they have all been more than friendly and neighborly, I still assume we are on double-secret probation until we prove to be trustworthy and productive members of the community...which can only come with time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    Yard Dart and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

My neighbors have changed up quite a bit since I last responded to this thread back in 2012. The slutty divorcee has been replaced by a contractor with a penchant for very expensive off road toys and boys who like to ring my doorbell at 2 am and run away. The drunk cop has been replaced by a young couple with small children and lots of dogs. The next door neighbors are new. I like them a lot and while I don't know if they're prepper sorts I don't see any indication they're sheep either. We both play our cards close so it's been a year and I'm still getting a feel for them. Made friends with a round the way neighbor who is a def asset. The OMG BEEZ people are gone, as are my bees from back then, though I'm finally gonna replace them for next spring. The bees, not the old neighbors. :D

kellory, Rocky Road Lerp and Ganado like this.
  7. The only immediate neighbors I have are two elderly gentlemen who are both very nice and respectful. I guess when I see them, I see a sense of duty to help them survive as best they can, for as long as they can, when the SHTF.

I mean, I would like to save my own hide as well, but I don't think I could get my self all cozy and safe, knowing that other people less than a 100 feet away were suffering.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When your nearest Neighbor, lives 3 miles away, and the next nearest ones, live over 5 miles away, and there are NO Roads that connect between us.... We just really do NOT have those type issues.... One of the reasons I live where I do.... Oh I like Neighbors, but I like that they are "At distance"..... We are getting a New Neighbor, next spring... He is building the foundation for his place, this week. He and his crew are staying here, this week, doing the concrete work, and installing the Infrastructure. (Water, Sewer, Electric) He and his wife are a KNOWN Quantity around here, as they are the Alternate WatchMan, for the Cannery, (Watched the place while I was on vacation) and have fished for the Cannery for 45 years. We will be very happy to have them, here, AND they will be 3.5 miles, down the beach.... Just about right, in distance.....

VisuTrac and Yard Dart like this.
  9. WillNomad

WillNomad Writer/Prepper

Not that I don't not trust my neighbors, but I don't quite trust them either. I know a majority of them have no plan, for any type of survival.. But i wonder if any of them do, I don't have much in the way of preps, but i feel the gear i do have is secure.

Normally I'd like to consider myself a good-natured person and look out for my neighbors, but I know deep down that I shouldn't do that. I should look out for myself and my family. But We'll see when the SHTF.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7