1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

What do you use to sharpen your knives?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Hanzo, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I use Japanese water stones, a medium and a fine along with a Nagura stone to sharpen at home. Touch up/finish with a steel and/or strop.

In the field, I use a Fallkniven DC4. A Ray Mears trick is to carry a bunch of little nails in the case to stabilize the sharpener on a log. Just saw a YouTube trick to use a Nagura stone to make a slurry on the DC4. Will try that since I love how the slurry helps with the sharpening.

Tonight, I sharpened all the kitchen knives, including the butcher knife.

Touched up a couple of pocket knives too. The TK3 hasn't been sharpened in a couple if camping trips. It was still really sharp. Now, it's sharper and cleaner. The convex edge doesn't do as good a job carving for me versus a scandi, but my Fallknivens do fine.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I use Arkansas whetstones and finish up on a leather strop with compound.

AmericanRedoubt1776 and Hanzo like this.
  3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

How do those compare to Japanese water stones? Similar?
  4. KAS

KAS Monkey++

i use the spider co knife sharpening set>>>...
    realy works well on serated
    Hanzo likes this.
  5. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Oregon-Wyoming Site Supporter+

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's the same process, but Japanese stones vary in fineness drastically and there are synthetic and natural stones and Nagura for making slurry. With Arkansas whetstones, you generally get a variation from fine to medium and finally coarse, and all of the stones are natural since it's the only place in the world you can get them. There are some ultra fine whetstones, but I am not certain how they compare to Japanese water stones, perhaps close to 2000-4000 grit. I generally only use a medium and fine stone and then hit the strop and rarely ever use a stone again unless I did serious damage.

If the Japanese stones are natural, like a Chosera, I am sure they wear quickly and will need to be replaced, but if you can get a thick stone (expensive!) it can last many years of regular use. The Arkansas whetstones generally last a very long time, in fact I still have a fine whetstone which belonged to my father and I believe he got it from my grandpa.

As far as finished edge goes, I couldn't tell you. I imagine there is little to no difference until you get up to the super fine Japanese stones, but that's what the leather and compound for stropping serve to do. With either setup, you should end up with a mirror smooth, razor edge.
    Hanzo likes this.
  7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++ Site Supporter

I use a couple (sometimes even three or four) 1x30" belt sanders with a variety of grit belts that may start with 600 or 800 and progress up to 1200 to 3000 grit with a final pass or two on a leather belt with some compound on it. I can get a razor edge in about 1-2 minutes. When we do a family get together and butcher 8-10 hogs I generally sharpen all the knives over the course of two days. Usually do something on the order of 150-200 knives, kind of have to be quick about it. Here is a bit more I wrote on this in Jan.

Knife Sharpening FAQ | Page 3

Have fun.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That's a lot of knives to sharpen!
  9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey++

Saw a thing on some site and had to try it, and it actually worked. You can use the unglazed bottom ring on a ceramic coffee cup to hone your blade.
    oldawg, BTPost and Hanzo like this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, you can, but it is a lot like using chocolate to polish aluminum into a reflector mirror. It is slow, and not as good as some other methods, but it does work.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Every week or two, I touch up our kitchen knives. And pocket knives as needed.

Because the knives never get too dull, it is a breeze to get them back to shaving sharp. And I find the Japanese water stones therapeutic too.

Pocket knife didn't need touching up.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  12. KAS

KAS Monkey++

just found me a japanese water stone on a wreck the other day
    kellory and Hanzo like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sweet. How'd that work out? Still good or degraded?
  14. KAS

KAS Monkey++

still good as far as i knows

it was in the dry wen i found it
    Hanzo likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary