What happens when you don't have your equipment?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bishop, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Now, the language is unnecessary, and you will not find a gun and ammo that you will be able to use for anything besides hammering nails. You have no supplies other than what was allowed on that aircraft legally. Can you answer the lady's question? How would you deal with the situation of survival?

Tikka likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There are a great many things I can craft form a downed plane to survive with.
    torn aluminum and other materials are my scrap yard .
    There is more than one way to skin a cat .
    Plexiglass can make a formidable blade and seat cushions and fabric are also useful tools depending on the weather.
    . There is several yards of cable and wire through out the craft and if the battery is intact alternative lighting is available.
    In all planes is an ELT you want to keep with you all the time, unless you in hostile territory.
    Polishing some aluminum can provide a parabolic dish for cooking if there is any day light, and the tires rubber burns very smoky for attracting attention. Some parts can be used as a sled or floatation device depending on construction.
    Some planes still use a compass and maps that can be removed if necessary
    Weapons should be the first order of business, especially if one plans on hiking out.
    Depending on the damage to the plane, I might try to phoenix it.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not at all the best bet unless you plan on taking them from someone that recovered them right after the war and has taken care of them since. If that's what you meant, you would do well to rethink the plan --

4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I like the way you thing @arleigh . Definitely looking at what you can make from what you have. I was reading this survival exercise the other day- http://www.whiteman.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130408-063.pdf It was written by former military but what I thought was interesting is that all the salvaged items were carried on, nothing you had to improvise or make yourself.

Ganado likes this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Could do everything I know how to do with that list. Empty cases make awesome arrowheads, fyi. I found that .45 ACP casings are perfect tips for my arrows/darts, so long as I can fill up the empty space between the 3/8" shaft and the case walls.

My scoring would be terrible. Haha.

I would like to play some of these thought games on here, maybe picking teams? and posting the discussions while working toward the decision? It would certainly be a learning experience, and an interesting forum for some of us...

I have to confess, I have shut down lessons in school before, sometimes for several days, running thought experiments. I love the crap out of these things.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2016
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

That was a nice find @Motomom34 ... I would be in trouble I think

1) drink the whiskey
    2) light a fire

lol

AxesAreBetter and Motomom34 like this.
  7. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Good thing...At least that doesnt weigh very much [LMAO][lolol]

Ganado likes this.
  8. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Not sure I would do because there are too many variables. You can't realistically prepare for stuff like this ahead of time. Prepping without context is not really prepping...it's just guessing.

These way out there "what if?" scenarios serve no practical purpose and sound a lot like a cheezy 1970's disaster movie.

Making tools from aircraft wreckage assumes there is an aircraft left. What if it sinks in the water? What if you are too injured to move or do anything with the resources at hand? We could "what if?" this forever.

Large commercial airliners never crash without someone knowing about it (MH370 notwithstanding). When one does go down, the passengers are either killed immediately or are quickly rescued. There's not much in-between where survivors have to get by long term on their own.

Small aircraft operating in remote areas are a different matter.

To answer the question, I would tend to the injured and do as best I can to remove them from secondary hazards such as fire. Playing MacGyver by making hand tools out of airplane wreckage would be the furthest thing from my mind because I know help will arrive soon.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

It don't have to be a plane a boat capsized what I am getting at is you can prep all you want but some thing will always come up be it the tsa at the air port or a rapid that swamps your boat the best prepping is your skills and mind set there not one of us that carry there arsonl of guns bows knives traps fishing gear water purification meals and shelter if your skills are good and your attitude is better you will be good you have to adapt and over come.

10. duane

duane Monkey+++

Lived in Tucson and recall two light plane forced landings in the 1950's. In both cases the pilot had landed the plane intact. One was flying from Calif to Arizona and some how ended up on the beach in Baja Calif way away from everyone and kept a good diary for about 15 days until he died from thirst. Dozens of airplanes flew over and assumed he was fishing etc. About 30 days after he landed, some fishermen found his body and the team that recovered his body was able to put some gas in the plane and fly it home. The second was a student pilot who made a forced landing in the Yuma bombing range and knew of all the unexploded munitions in the area. He drained some of the gas out of the wing fuel drain into a hubcap with sand and oil in it and turned the prop over with the spark plug in the sand, cut up a tire and the oil and made a very smoky fire and 2 hours later was picked up by the range safety people checking out the smoke. They both had the same resources, to limited to be acceptable in any sense, and a lot has changed since then, cell phones, better radios, etc, but one used his head and the other took real good care of his airplane. People would of noticed a burning airplane or the burned remains,and I would prefer to be alive with no plane, then dead with one.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Case in point. You get into a car accident, regardless of cause, and run off the road and maybe flip. You are unconscious for a time, wake up to the smell of smoke to find the vehicle is smoldering. You get out to get away from the fire but the vehicle is upside down and the trunk of your car is crushed and pinned closed...with your Bob inside.

Boom, car goes up, along with your preps, and your keys fell out in the car, what now?

The point is that stuff happens and you will not be fully prepared 100% of the time, period. How do you cope?

12. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

13. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

Japan Earthquake: Radiation Leaking After Reactor Blast
    I could not find the picture of the Japanese standing in line. That would not happen here.
    They helped each other and did not riot or loot.

Ganado likes this.
  14. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

There used to be pistol and rifle shoots in schools for anyone to participate. In high school, every pickup had at least 2 rifles. WE had no idea it would ever change.

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

There is a 22RF rifle team at the local HS.

As Doug, the father said, the good news is his oldest daughter loves it and the bad news is she is close to being an better shot than he is.. :)

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

They had to take BB guns from our school because of the threat of violence they caused.

17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No, They took Bb Guns from your Schools because the Teachers, came from the Cities, and had NO Experience, with them and were scared of what they did NOT understand... Therefor, it seems the Teachers were Paranoid Delusionals, and needed to CONTROL their enviorments.... So they could continue to do the JOBs they were hired to Do.....

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Adapt, improvise, overcome. It's not about what you have in your hands, it's about what you have in your head.

Ganado, Bishop and kellory like this.
  19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Do you?

20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Which us a platitude @chimo and meaningless without context. Not that I disagree with you or the sentiment. The point is that knowing how to do things is at least as important if not more so than knowing how to use "stuff". The skills are important and the recent spate of threads and dick wagging has dissed, quite a bit, the learning of older, forgotten or less mainstream skills.

Adapt, improvise, overcome...all useless without that all important knowledge, which there have been a lot of dismissive posts about acquiring because it doesn't fit someone's personal OPINION of what's important.

That was the point I was trying to make.

ghrit and kellory like this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge