What happens when you don't have your equipment?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bishop, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I remember a science fiction story. Where these beings had huge heads and all the knowledge accumulated throughout the ages, but they had to have a slave race to feed them and clothe them because they did not have the physical ability to put that knowledge into use.
    My point is," how do you adapt improvise and overcome in this situation?"
    I have no doubt you can but demonstrate it, for those who need to learn how.:cautious:

2. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

This is pretty much the reason to learn to do things the old ways and improvise. Being prepared is the goal but you can find yourself back to square one in a heart beat.

kellory and oldawg like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Survival is a daily exercise in surviving to see the next day.

My first answer to this thread was take inventory of what you have; after that, each day will be spent foraging for food, water and shelter.
    Shelter can be a bit more complex a question, as there are two possible choices; will you stay where you are or do you attempt traveling to "safety."
    The answer depends on what put you in this predicament. As losing a canoe or kayak usually means you have a drop off and pick up point. Being blown off way of course while sailing the ocean ending up marooned on an island without an ELT has another answer. Over land, a crash in a commercial airliner means they will find it; if only to simply get the black box. As @BTPost said a crash in a bush plane in Alaska; one better hope they packed survival gear.

As I'm not the brightest bulb in the pack; I can do better with rigidly defined limits to the question. ;);)

kellory likes this.
  4. kellory

No, you are following rule one..."determine the problem";)

5. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Perhaps tell me the problem so I can determine an answer worthy of your time to read it? :):)

As I like to laugh and in writing, often it comes across as a dig; no offense to anyone.

6. kellory

Your posts are almost always worth reading.;)
    As for your requirements......the OP specified you are out in the middle of no mans land and you do not have your normal go to bag or your gadgets.
    You do not have access to your normal bag of tricks, so pick a scenario where that would be true. Whether you would drop by mobsters in the middle of the night and have no idea where you are, a plane crash anywhere in the mountains an island are the Great Plains.
    This test is to test your knowledge and your abilities to overcome when its just you and your mind against whatever comes next. Set your own parameters to fit his requirements;)

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Thanks and from here, the same applies to you. As I'm a retired mechanical design type, it either works/applies/etc. or it don't so don't take the first sentence lightly.

My answer to being dropped off by mobsters or an airplane crash would vary greatly. By mobsters, what I physically have with me is what I get. An airplane crash means I have the airplane to forage and salvage.
    In my career as a powertrain design engineer, I designed engines, transmissions, differentials and forced induction systems. Each requires a different focus.

My earlier point was everyone did just that and the thread went in so many directions; it was confusing. Or at least confusing to me. ;)

I learn a lot more than I contribute here. I learn more when the group's focus is on one item. I don't mean that to sound narrow-minded as there are many ways to start a fire without matches. Many ways to modify those ways to make them easier or leverage available materials. The group here is a well stocked library of all the above.

Maybe I should have said that in my last post? :D

Ganado and kellory like this.
  8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@kellory
    As others always set the test criteria, that would be a change of pace...

However, I doubt a scenario where the knife is 7.1234" long and the fishing hooks 1/0, 4 and 7s etc would be palatable to most.

Isn't that correct, @RickR :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

9. kellory

Then as a design engineer you should be in paradise. You get to pick the parameters for your own test.;) pick a scenario where you would be separated from your normal go to bag of tricks. ( through no desire of your own) and proceed sir;)

10. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

What part of "It's not about what you have in your hands, it's about what you have in your head." did you not understand? :rolleyes:

BlueDuck and Ganado like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

1. If I was in a plane, I would try to stay near the aircraft as a flight plan is normally registered before take off and they would be looking in that area. If I was on a canoe/boat then I would still stay by the river for the same reason (plus easy access to water)

2. Salvage whatever is attainable from site of accident

Now comes all the variables and the problem needs to be defined better in order to answer it better. Is it night or day? Is it wet or dry? Cold or warm?

3. First, priority is fire if it can be quickly made to provide smoke to searchers. Second would be water. Third, is shelter...however, depending on the area and time of day, these could easily reversed or changed in priority - meaning - I am not going to wander around at night looking for water in the wilderness of Alaska and chance getting eaten by a bear or breaking my leg. And, if it's night, I am not going to try to find something to light a fire if I have nothing readily available like a BIC lighter and a pack of cigs in my pocket. I would wait until morning.

Fire - If daylight, I would probably try to look for a piece of glass from accident site (use my eyeglasses) of some sort and use the sun.

Water - a) do I hear any creek, stream, or river nearby? b) Is the ground wet or arid (meaning - dig for it even in arid if you know where to look but I want to stay as close to accident site as possible) c) do I have a ground cloth of some sort to collect moisture.... Lots of variables here.

Shelter - a) Are there predators about if yes sleep in trees tied in using whatever (belt, shirt, etc) b) If no and have a knife or ax, or anything sharp salvaged from accident site, build small lean-to c) if no knife or etc, look for shelter under heavy forested trees using boughs to block wind and give temporary shelter until it could be improved.

That's off the top my head but thinks the game's problem set needs to be defined better in order to obtain better and more specific answers.

arleigh likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Most Aircraft Crashes have Fire associated with the Crash, so fire is going to be available initially.... Keeping it going is where the issue comes up....

Bandit99 likes this.
  13. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

You and I are on the same page, whether you realize it or not, and you made my point for me. The point is exactly, what is in your head. It was not a dig at you or your comments, I was using your comment to back up my point. Others are the ones saying, ostensibly, that you don't need to learn "this" or "that" because it doesn't fit into their pantheon of "what I need to survive the end of the world".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  14. kellory

@Bishop , you are OP ( original poster), would you like to set the scene, for those who need a setting to play against, or would you like a little help?;)

Tikka and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Not following. Never mind I got it

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  16. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I will let you make the scenario if you want

kellory likes this.
  17. kellory

Alright.....to set the stage....

Your eyes open to the sun low in the sky, it's chilly, but not cold, and your cloths are damp. Your boots are missing, your hat is gone, and judging by the pain in your side and face, someone worked you over pretty good. Nothing feels broken, but you can't feel a lot from your hands as you realize your forearms are wrapped with cordage from your wrists to your elbows. At least your arms are in front, you start working at the knots with your teeth. Looking around you see nothing but low hills and grass lands a few scrub trees, a couple of pine trees and what you think might be a cottonwood tree clustered in a low spot. No sign of how you got here, but your head is still fuzzy, you might have been drugged.
    Since you don't know where you are, you have no idea about predators. You have half a roll of quarters left over from the parking garage, a folding penknife, a receipt for your laundry, and your wallet, stripped of cash. Nothing else but the clothes on your back. .......
    What happens now?

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Start by looking for tracks while I work my way free (pen knife if needed). Boots missing won't be a big deal unless there are really tough pokey things on the ground (I walk around mostly barefoot).

Head to trees, picking clumps of dry grass if long enough (?), bundles for fire or shoes if needed, stuffing them into clothes to help dry and warmth if needed.

Not sure where to go from there? Track info and thoughts for next post, boss?

19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If your hands are still tied, how do you know that you still have the items you mentioned? Are they strewn about or in your pockets?

What happens now is that I try to get my hands free while observing my surroundings to get clues as to where I am...and looking out for whomever dumped me here in case they return.

Ganado likes this.
  20. kellory

You were successful with your teeth on the knots. You can add @25' of paracord to you list of possessions. The rest were still in your pockets after you freed yourself.

1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge
  12. Coyote Ridge