What have you been through? SHTF in real life

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by KAS, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Jaybird

Jaybird Monkey+++

Jobless right now. Have been since January. I have still made all payment so far. I may be missing a little meat in my meals, but not missing it much.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Been through house fires, unemployment and got caught up in helping a battered woman get away from an abusive felon she was with which had a couple months of being hunted then as things calmed down she ran back to him. My farm didn't have running water for the first year or so we were there and it still goes out a lot but we keep a couple barrels with spouts full of water and a barrel stand in the kitchen.

A LOT of the stuff I live with and have been through others might think was shtf but since was prepaired for most of it or figured out how to deal was no big deal to us. Power out along with heat for 10 days in the middle of winter....no bother with a small generator to run the fridge and freezer a few hours a day, camp stove with flower pot on burner for heat and some oil lamps with 5 gallons of kerosene, batteries in radios and watch some tv when generator was on for freezer and fridge and barely noticed while neighbors were freezing and freaking out.

Shtf tends to only hit home when you are not equipped to deal with it. If you aren't stocked up and have heat then winter is shtf if you are ready for it it's just hunting season.

Tracy, ColtCarbine, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Thanks.

5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

I am a rural monkey...
    I was offshore when we got word Katrina was coming but made it home before the rush...
    the wife was 7 months pregenant and we had a 4 year old autistic son at home to ...
    the strom came and went we had some basic supplies and what we didnt have we got the next few days...
    but we wated in long lines and went threw alot of preventable bullshit ...

The wife decided we needed a generator so she waited pregnant for 8 hours in homedepot while i wathcd the kid and kept the beer cold ...

All in all Katrina and Gustav were good to me but it has me well prepaired now ....buying things ahead of time is definatly the way to go and can be alot cheaper....

Katrina was kinda a blessing for me it created so much work and me and alot people i no made a hole messload of money from it ...
    On the same note it took everything some of my friends had....

Anway...
    My biggest shtf situation happend to me last year Offshore in Mexico ...
    I had a diver get his hose cought in a propellar...
    You never realize how fucked up things are untill you have a dead guy in your arms and 20 people around you speaking 5 different launguages...
    CPR is one of the most physicaly demanding task i have ever been threw...

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Sorry to hear that @KAS, he didn't make it? And you are right, CPR is very demanding, though it is easier with someone to switch off with. I learned it in the Boy Scouts many years ago. i have only had to use it a couple of times, over the years, but i was glad i knew what to do.

7. Pistolero

Pistolero Monkey++

The short version is this: I was on a ship at sea that burned to the water line one night then sunk. We tried but couldnt save her. 5 of us escaped to the one raft left. one of us was wounded pretty bad and bled all the first night in the raft. much of the blood we washed into the sea. Of course that attracted my nemisis the shark. (I hate them I curse them to this day I kill all that I can) We had a difficult time with them until we made it to the island. No one lived on it nor did they ever as far as we could tell but the island and the sea kept us alive for the 43 days until we were able to signal a passing cruise ship that had viered off course close enough to see our night signal. Does this qualify as a SHTF event?

3M-TA3, Tully Mars, KAS and 3 others like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

yes, i think that would qualify. glad you made it. Do you wear a ring in your ear? it is an old custom to signify surviving a sinking ship.

9. Pistolero

Pistolero Monkey++

no but my sun does! ha ha. that was the second one I went down on. the first one piled up on the rocks. (Rooky on the wheel) the interesting part of the story is we had the same engineer on both boats. a year apart. and the kicker is he was supposed to be on the Edmund Fitsjarald (spelling off) the night it went down with all hands. but his plane was late and he got to the dock just after it sailed. Always wondered what happened to him. never saw him again after we were rescued.

kellory and KAS like this.
  10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have a story concerning the type of survival I experienced in the middle of nowhere, Iraq along the Iranian border. I will skip the details since the operation was well reported on in the media, due to opsec I will do my best not to elaborate.

At one point, I alone was tasked with the responsibility of acquiring the food, water, ice and everything else for a company of fighting soldiers who were all stationed at a remote farmhouse, several kilometers away from a temporary forward operating base recently established. Due to the loss of more than 50 armored vehicles in the initial presence and operation, I was left with operating a civilian pickup truck on roads heavily laden with anti-tank mines. All our remaining armored vehicles were tasked out constantly, so I made due. Since I stayed with the company out at the farmhouse, I had to make daily runs to the FOB, sometimes twice a day to secure supplies. Normally, this would be a simple procedure, but to my dissatisfaction and surprise, dealing with FOB supply personnel can be a nightmare.

Here I am, wearing body armor in 130 degrees, no hygiene amenities to be found, low on food, water, ice and fuel, and the pressure of acquiring everything needed. On top of all this, with explosions going off constantly, vehicle loss piling up, and no transportation aside from a civilian tin can, I have to deal with spiteful criminal types in uniform who won't even give the only fighting force in the area the necessary food, water, ice and fuel that we deserve. They locked up the supplies in trailers and just told me they can give me "X" amount (which was a fraction of what we needed), to go back with what I had and come back the next day for my less than adequate rations. Now, I also had about 30 Iraqi Army soldiers on top of the full company of Infantry to supply, so imagine my temper when I could not get my point across at how insane this was. Here sits trailer upon trailer of supplies, enough to feed and take care of ten times the forces we had for much longer than we were stationed there, and I am risking my life to drive there daily in a rickety old civilian truck, while THEY sit in a comfortable operating base complete with towers and guards, watching movies on laptops hooked to generators, eating all they want while MY MEN are out there fighting, engaging the enemy. We were the only fighting force attached to this element, dammit. The largest problem was the ice. Imagine how fast our coolers went warm and needed ice so that the men could drink cooled water. Imagine how they required at least 40 bags daily, but I was only rationed 12. Now imagine enormous cooled trailers with tons of ice and nobody using it except the people on a large temporary base --"soldiers" who go nowhere, do nothing and just maintain a presence. Yeah, I wasn't happy. I didn't have the patience for politics, nor the desire to trade for food. I needed to act.

After I went back to the farmhouse, I explained the situation to the CO. It didn't go over well.

Needless to say, in the middle of the night I made a return visit. The supply office only did business during daylight hours. That was fine, I wasn't there to do business. The next day when I returned, they were still talking about how somebody had ripped all the chains and locks off the trailers and raided the supplies. They had sent a CSM out to the farm house to check things out. Wouldn't you know it, he was my old 1SG. No questions asked, none answered.

I always got what we needed from that point on.

11. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Taking care of your own people is what it is about Brokor! You are the man. Of course the mission has top priority also, but everything fails if you do not take care of your people.

KAS and Brokor like this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Truth be told, my CO had alot more to do with it than I did. I am sure his political abilities came into play far more than my actions. But, one of the morals of the story is, action sometimes trumps negotiations, especially when one does not possess the ability to stoop down to the level of scumbags and kiss their rear ends. Yeah, I lack some refinement. But, what I do have works, too. ;)

Tracy and tacmotusn like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It never ceased to amaze me what the yardbirds could find in trade for a couple steaks. Cookie wasn't too happy when we raided his coolers for bartering stock when we needed more than the ship's outfitting lists allowed, but he understood. (He did the same thing to replace what we "borrowed.")

tacmotusn and Brokor like this.
  14. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Don't anyone dare jump in here and complain how they had to go 3 days without water or electricity........:cry:

15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You mean to tell us you were not prepared? Shame shame ...... lol. Shall I tell my sad stupid tale of woe where I bought a 8kw diesel generator just days prior to Y2K. Even built a highly insulated nearly soundproof building around it. Hardwired it to barn power panel via a manual power transfer switch. This would give me water from my well as long a I had fuel. Y2K was an obvious non-event. Moved on to other projects. Never bothered to finish the generator install and start up and periodic test runs. 4 years later, here come the hurricanes. With first one, lost power for 10 days. I could not get the generator to run. Has fuel, coolant, oil, good battery, cranks over fine, won't start. (^^(&^%*( damn good big boat anchor! 5 days after we get power restored, a friend listens to my sad tale of woe, and laughs. He says, I'll bet you a case of beer I can start it in less than 1/2 hour. He comes over and check several things I already had checked, then breaks out a wrench and loosens fuel supply line at point where it gets to engine. Tightens everything back down. Wipes everything off, and fires that bad boy up on the first try.
    Tells me, when every you get a brand new diesel generator or run one completely out of fuel, you might have to bleed the fuel line before you can get it to start, because you may have air in the fuel line that causes a fuel blockage. Sorta like a vapor lock on a gas vehicle. Since then it has started each and every time I have tested it. Even after ignoring it for 3 years plus it started on the first attempt.

16. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just like a furnace that runs out of fuel requires fuel line to be bled. I keep a socket wrench attached the the corner of the furnace for just such an occasion. Your cold weather friends would have guessed that one first thing LOL

kellory and tacmotusn like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

{Chortle} I just KNEW you weren't a left arm rating, or you'da knowed that injectors will air lock when the tank runs dry and you need to prime them.

The message for you diesel owners is do NOT let the tank run dry once the engine is put in service. Priming the injector system usually involves running the starter motor to turn the engine over to drive the injector pump. That is a serious use of battery power, and sometimes the onboard battery just ain't enough to git 'er done.

tacmotusn likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is a very TRUE Statement, @ghrit... However, if the engine has Glow Plugs, by removing them while you Bleed the Fuel System, is just like removing the Spark Plugs, on a Gas Fueled Engine, No compression, and easy turning... 5 minutes worth of work, and saves what battery you have, for an easy Start. .... YMMV...

Witch Doctor 01, kellory and KAS like this.
  19. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

One thing i have learned from the monkey tree...
    If it involves diesel fuel,coms or electricty BT has got the facts...
    Thanks my friend

kellory likes this.
  20. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

My Dad used to tell me stories about having to trade and "borrow" supplies to keep his troops going in WWII, I always took them with a grain of salt.

When I was deployed to Haiti, we needed some MOGAS and went to the supply folks with the 10th Mountain Division to get what we needed. Even though they had multiple tank trucks full of the stuff and we only needed a few gallons. The little pecker of a 2lt, said we couldn't have any and refused to call CTU to get an approval.

I ended up having to trade some VCR tapes (with questionable moral content) with some guy off one of the Navy ships for a case of good humor strawberry shortcake bars that somehow disappeared from their wardroom. I then went back to the fuel farm and asked for the 1SG and presented the ice cream to him with a request for the gas. An hour latter a guy with a 7000 gallon truck showed up asking "where do you want me to put it".

Since then, I have had more faith in my Dads stories.

Tully Mars, tulianr, kellory and 3 others like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7