1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

What if peak oil isn't the end of the world?

Discussion in 'Peak Oil' started by oil pan 4, Jul 10, 2016.

1. The world implodes

2. No one notices and it's a historic milestone.

3. IDK.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+

What if peak oil isn't the end of the world?
    Peak oil for industrial users happened in the 1970s and industry kept chugging along. They still use oil but nothing like back in the 1970s.
    At one point a good portion of the electrical power generated in the US was from oil.
    It may have already happened or be happening right now.
    Oil prices go up and suddenly alternatives become more feasible.
    A paradigm shift happened with power generation and industry with out imploding, why not everything else too?
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

The oil crisis of the 70's was fabricated, I was there, there was somebody behind it all.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Agreed, the 70's "Oil Shock" was a market manipulation by a number of OPEC countries, not Peak Oil. At that time, exploration was far from done, and more oil reserves were still being discovered.

Although fossil fuel reliance has a way to go yet, smart money will be invested in technologies that reduce dependence on oil, NG and coal. Without a doubt peak oil will alter life as we presently know it, but by that time I'll be long gone. That doesn't mean that forward planning shouldn't be put into effect to cushion the effects, both at national, state and local levels. As for myself, I am making my own arrangements for my progeny.
  4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++ Site Supporter

Really don't care about the concept, if the world has reached that point. Take what happened a few years ago with the shale-oil being the biggest cause of the glut we have today. Shale oil was such a successful endeavor that The US started EXPORTING oil.

As for alternatives, it has been proven time and again that it takes just as much raw energy to produce the wind turbines, solar panels, and ethanol than what these alternative sources produce.

One BBL of crude oil(42 US Gallons) possesses 5.8 × 10^6 BTU's or 1.7 MWh's of energy.

Until the day that a brilliant scientist come along and changes the basic laws of thermodynamics(HIGHLY UNLIKELY), crude oil will be this planets most energy dense raw resource available.
  5. duane

duane Monkey++

Peak oil has arrived in the USA many years ago for the $5-10 a barrel oil and we have learned how to live with the more difficult to extract $40-50 barrel oil. Now if Hittlery outlaws fracking and shale, causes pollution you know, all bets are off. We in NH have had cheap hydro from Canada as an optional electrical source for several years, but the "greens" have caused us to spend several billion dollars on more expensive sources that pollute as building 50 or so miles of high voltage transmission towers required to connect to our grid would totally destroy the pristine nature of the White Mountains. A lot of the funding for the groups that are stopping the power lines is coming from the west coast and people that not only don't live, but will probably never visit. The impact of abundant $100 a barrel oil or $200 a barrel oil is difficult to judge in the long run, in the short run it would be bad.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I dont believe that lack of oil will ever be the end of the world. Maybe as we know it. we lived without oil before and will again.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey++

Well, seeing as how Hitlery gets rather generous donations from Saudi Arabia, you can bet that once she's in office, she'll do something to permanantly end this business of fracking. Once that's done, and domestic oil is no longer a source of competition for the Saudis, they'll be free to once again jack the price of oil up to $150/barrel. This will all be done in the name of "saving the environment", you understand.
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    chelloveck likes this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It won't be the end of the world, but it will be the end of the world as we presently know it. It will be the end of the world of mass consumerism, which may not be any great loss. It will be the transition from cheap fossil fuel for manufacturing, transport, agriculture, and domestic use that will be the cause of much social disruption. Things will get a little messy for quite a while when the fossil fuel dance ends. Horse breedin', wheelwright'n', blacksmith'n', farrier'n', carriage makin', and cartwright'n' trades and occupations may experience something of a renaissance! ;)
  9. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Only if the World does NOT come up with an Energy Replacement for that Oil.... Fusion could be that Replacement, when it is finally available....
    chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary