What Is Next- A Story Of Survival

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Dec 10, 2014.

?
  1. I have a plan, am ready with a G.H.B. and have my planning in place.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. I have started to plan and have my G.H.B in the rig ready to go.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I have a G.H.B. but need to figure this out.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. I have some work to do........

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. What is a G.H.B.?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I am a survivor and ready for what may come.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]
    So here I was sitting in the office today doing some paperwork. The lights flickered once, twice and then the power went out. The generator failed to kick on which was really odd and a couple of the guys went to tinker with it. We took a peek around the office park and saw that lights were out everywhere, it was about 4 PM. The phones were dead, which was really odd, but after a moment or two we realized that our phones were VOIP, and without power, are useless anyways. The UPS was not carrying the load.... it was turned off and failed to re-boot. About the same time we also discovered our I-phones were all dead... hmmmm.

Most of us decided we were going to head-out to home and finish our work day there since the office was dead in the water. That was about the time that one of our field guys came walking through the door and told us his van had died just down the street.... along with everyone else on the roadway.

A few of us went out to try our trucks and we had the same issue of dead electronics/starter. It was about this time that I figured we had been either hit by a solar flare or an EMP. As an informed Monkey, I know that I have not seen any eminent solar flare coming my way. So my radar was up for the fact that I knew something was really wrong. We had an issue and I needed to take action to move "forward" with the issue and fall into contingency planning that I had in place.

I did a little more looking around and determined that indeed, all the vehicles we had were dead, we had no business communications, no power, it was starting to get dark and it was obvious to me that we had some sort of EMP event... though it was unknown how large an area was affected.

What should I as a Monkey do next to be safe.... and what is my next objective, how do I get there, how do I proceed, how do I find out what has happended?! Can you provide some input on this issue.............
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Please help me get through this.........

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  2. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

my nightmare scenario. unfortunately i have a 25 mile commute to work, on a major .gov installation, and surrounded by numerous hordes of sheeple... The logistics of me getting home are tremendous to say the least. Urban, Suburban, Rural, Forests, and Farmland, all in my trek home.

sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  3. Yard Dart

I have 45 miles to get home and have to cross a 2,500 ft pass on my way. Can you give me some advice on what I should do.....

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Walk fast...

5. Dawg23

Dawg23 do or do not, there is no try

what i have done is google earth between my home and work, and study the areas i would prefer to travel. then make 3-4 alternative routes, with a 45 mile trek, i would seriously consider carrying a bicycle or some kind of wheeled mode of transport. I'm adding a bicycle to my GHB stuff, just for this. 25 miles or 45 miles on a bike is alot easier to pedal than walking. I figure if i have to walk, its going to be 24-48 hours before i get home.

**edit** thats about as far into the planning that i have gotten. I want to add a cache of supplies on my route (all 4 routes take me to one specific spot) then i can proceed from there.

Mountainman and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Thank you BT... that was helpful.... ;)

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  7. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

In my best Eric Cartman voice "Screw you guy's; I'm going home". Sounds like it's time to open the trunk, get out the GHB and warm up the shoe leather.

My walk home is about 4 miles and then about another mile to the kids school. SWMBO has about 15 miles to hoof but it is straight down the interstate, she has her own GHB. Not much to worry about in the intermountion west :). Anyone foolish enough to cause problems in this part of the world would get a beat down or shot so no worries.

Plan is to get home and circle the wagon's; what else would you do?

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Yard Dart

Do you already have water in your GHB or should you top off first? I know I carry a bunch of bottled water... but I also have a camel back that I leave empty until I need it... just asking :)

Dawg23 likes this.
  9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Fill the camel back. I do have some water in my bag as well as some chloride pills and a life straw. BUT might as well fill the camel back before the water pressure is gone. Once I got home I'd put my tub liner in the tub and fill that too.

10. Yard Dart

Agreed, once I get home I will fill both tub bladders... I have 4 of them for duplication... I wonder if you could run a tube over to the floor and fill the other one and have stability?! Need to check that out.......!! Good stuff @mysterymet !!

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Would you beeline to the school and round up the kids before you head home... or would you get home and resupply? Once you get the kids secured... do you have standing comm's with the wife at that range of 15 miles or do you have a rally-point plan to meet her within your comm range available?

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I think in the case of something like an emp (or cme/solar event) the real key would be to recognize it for what it is right away and start working on getting home before the masses realize that the power is not coming back on after a few hours. I figure you'd have an hour or 2 head start. My plan if I am at work or home is actually just about the same given the proximity of my home to work but I also occasionally travel for work and that would definitely complicate things. Depending on where I was and how I got there would have a huge bearing on how well I was prepared for the event. Unfortunately, when I fly I cannot fit my whole GHB in my luggage. When I drive to closer locations I do bring it.

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Or get out the collapsible bicycle in the trunk of the car, and pedal Fast.....

14. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

Get home and fill up the tub with water first. I live in a high plains desert so water is important. Kids will be safe at school and the house is on the way to school. :) Yes we put some thought into where we live VS where we work. Myself and SWMBO both travel opposite rush hour traffic.

Summer temperatures are routinely 95 to 102. We always have a water bottle on hand.

SWMBO is basically on her own with the kids as my priority. They are to small to take care of themselves. Our town is basically white and conservative. We should be able to behave for a week without power before becoming savages.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Dawg23 and sec_monkey like this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Don't have any tub liners, we are on a well with solar backup. I really don't know if it would survive an EMP. We have spare charge controlers but...$#it, now I gotta add something else to my list;)

17. Tully Mars

Yup, I'll be shanks mare if it comes to that. My knee won't allow for a bike, I don't have the range of motion to pedal.

18. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

Yard dart enlighten me. What comm gear is EMP proof and has a 15 plus mile range? I would love a hint. I worry way more about EMP's than Zombies, rogue asteroids, and North Koreans put together. :)

19. Tully Mars

As I'm not really working since I got home chances are good that I'd already be here or within a 30-45 minute drive away. If I were shopping or doing one of the little jobs I've taken on since coming home could be 60-90 minutes drive time. How long of a walk? I really don't know. With the bag and my knee, figure a full day through semi rural/suburban areas. If I'm already here, I'd probably be headed out to get the nurse.The chances of her H3 working are small at best, and the chance of her having driven one of the rigs with a standard ignition smaller still unless I just happened to be working on hers.

20. Tully Mars

something that was in a fareaday(sp?) cage/box.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Alanaana
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Coyote Ridge