What Is Next..... The Modern Prep Dilemma.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Do you have a 308/7.62 long gun?

image.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In my case, I will end up being the one arming my team when they evac to my AO post-shtf.......so having to many firearms is not an issue.

GOG, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Yard Dart

AD1, Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Nobody cares about that. If that Colt is under consideration, put the bux into radio gear. When you are old and feeble you'll still be able to talk, even if your carcass can't take recoil.

Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

agree with @AD1 and the others :D (y)

yep 7.62x51 is extremely useful and versatile [chopper]

so is 12.7x99 :D except for the $8k to $12k price tag :(

6. Yard Dart

Not at this time, but it has not been high on my list. Due to my terrain and heavy woods, having a reach out and hit them rifle is, not as paramount for me and the focus has been on smaller carbine type calibers. I do have hunting rifles which would work fine for longer task, just not as functional as an AR-10 of course.

AD1 likes this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's what I keep telling my wife, too... :LOL:

GOG, Yard Dart, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

On a more serious note - standardize on rifles and configurations for different types. It will help immensely for training, interchangeability, and repair. Make sure you have armorers tools, spare parts, cleaners, lubricants, patches, etc.. I'd make a cleaning kit for each rifle that travels with it.

GOG, Yard Dart, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

7.62x51 is not just about long range - it's also about barrier penetration. If I bring the fight to you, a nice light AR-15 is a great choice. If you are bringing the fight to me I want an AR-10...

BTPost, GOG, AD1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Bunch of ham's around here......good grief. ;) I have all the short range radio needs met for the most part.... though new shiny tools can be a distraction. As I have noted before, a HF rig is in my sites and I have seen some excellent recommendations by yourself and others in the past. If you were getting a mid-level set up right now, what would you get?

The point of the thread is not exactly about YD, but also a primer for other folks to think about what they might need for their prep's with some solid item recommendations, like has already been noted above by many. :)

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

An Yaesu FT-450 ($689) or 857D ($790) I have the 857D
    Yaesu FT-450, Yaesu FT-450D Amateur Transceiver, FT450, FT450D
    Yaesu FT-857D Amateur Transceiver FT857D

Plus coax, and an antenna. You can buy or build. If you have room for a 260 -ish foot loop (think a square)20 plus feet high you can tune from 6-160 meters

With the 450 it has an internal antenna tuner the 857 does not.

3M-TA3, Yard Dart and sec_monkey like this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Serious consideration would be given to an Alinco DX 70 as a start to the go box, all the bases are covered with that radio except for VHF and UHF. The rest is budget limited at this time.

3M-TA3, Yard Dart, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Personally, I wouldn't be without my Colt (Manufacturing) LE6920. If there's one thing a survival carbine MUST have on it, it's a collapsible stock! FerFAL taught me that during a national/economic crisis it's always the people who walk around openly displaying a rifle who attract the most unwanted attention; and, ....... let's face it: FerFAL would know! ;)

3M-TA3, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  14. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

if trunk monkey had any caps these items would be procured

1. AR in 7.62x51
    2. M107
    3. $24.95 RX only SDRs plus new PC plus accessories, perhaps an RX/TX SDR down the road
    4. water storage/purification sys
    5. consumables for 3 years
    6. downpayment on vault 88
    7. another toy in an unspecified caliber

@AD1 @ghrit @Yard Dart SDRs can be made to work with HF :D

(y) :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
    Yard Dart and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

That has been replaced by the Alinco DX-SR8

Alinco DX-SR8T Alinco DX-SR8 Transceiver

If he has the any UHF/VHF radios either of the 450 or the 857 give him those freqs @40-50 watts.

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Or these portable antennas that Morgan used in the Going Home series of books.(I have it on good authority that Angery American had a great SME for ham radio in his book series [lolol][peep][LMAO])

No tuner needed, light stealthy and very portable. I have a 20 and 40 meter version of these
    Par Electronics End-Fed, LNR Precision PAR End-Fedz
    image.

Yard Dart, GOG, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Here is the 857D, a battery pack and a PAR/LAR antenna on 20 meters from a NJ mountain top. First call into Italy

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I always wondered about the details of the radio equipment that Sarge gave him... what would someone like Morgan have used for the portable radio that would fit in his get home bag along with everything else?

19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

@3M-TA3 The 857D, a battery pack, par end fed antenna and a solar charger. Exactly the same radio and antenna in the video posted above.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    Yard Dart, 3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  20. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

my question is are you prepping to bug out or hunker down what you take with you would be a lot different then staying put

3M-TA3, Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Motomom34
  12. Meat