What is the smallest living space you have ever dwelt, long term ?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Feb 16, 2019.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have lived in a truck camper for a year or so and though I did not have all the comforts of home I survived .
    Could I do it again ? yes .
    Would I do it again ? with some serious reservation .

Post some apocalyptical event ,a smaller living space might be required ,even crowded living conditions ,with friends and family all bunched up together .
    I have not seen any discussion on this ,as though most assume that they can go it alone.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I lived in a (slightly modified) 19 ft caravan for over a year - this in central Nevada (Lincoln Co)
    Tiny bath (w/shower) and a smallish 'kitchen' - with stove, oven and a mid-sized fridge.

While in college, spent a summer living in and out of a tent while working w/a GEOEX company.

Plenty of room for one and the few possessions I had at the time. If you don't own much, you have a simple life.

Ganado, Zimmy, arleigh and 3 others like this.
  3. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

Living underwater in a submarine can be fairly confining. I did that 105 days at a time, twice a year for many years.

Oddcaliber, Ganado, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

plan is when the kids finally fly the coup. building a 24x20 story and a half over a walkout basement.

Motomom34, Zimmy, arleigh and 5 others like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Back of a full size pickup with a fiberglass canopy well insulated, did that for several months while building the house. Cooking and food prep was done on the tailgate with a two burner Colman stove, and slept in a sleeping bag on a standard mil surplus cot! Doggies provided extra warmth at night, and no comforts were missing, as none were needed! Could I do it again, sure, would I during normal times, hell no, but SHTF, most definitely! A full size Van would be much better, but the basics would be about the same, the vans advantage is larger enclosed and secure storage space for food stuff!

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Those of us that have been through tough times know it best.
    I think it is healthy to endure this stuff ,you find out more about your self and what you are capable of.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Our Lil cai-bon is 20x12,I could live there,The wife? She needs more than that after a weekend with me and 2 dogs....hahaha!

arleigh, oldawg, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Single slide out pop up camper for 8 months. I built a traditional outhouse and an exterior shower with a hose thrown over a limb while I showered on a plastic pallet. Pea gravel kept my feet clean back to the house. These were good times.

As a child, I went feral and lived in an 8'x16' building I built for about 6 months. Those were great times too.

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

My apartment in Japan was 12'x12'. Kitchen/dining/living room in front and bedroom/bathroom splitting the back half, divided by a closet that opened on the bedroom side. Just enough room for me.

arleigh, DKR, Witch Doctor 01 and 3 others like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

SUB
    and hated it .
    Don't care about the time , just the smell

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

20 foot travel trailer with a wife and three kids. Daughter sleep in the tub.

12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Live out of the cab of a Kenworth for a few years.. Those coffin sleepers dont have much room to them..

13. teardrop trailer 3 years in the woods. with outhouse and carried in water. Enjoyed the crap out of it. then I got married......LOL

14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I had a 2 bedroom 900 sf home for 5 years. you just can't have alot of stuff in a small space

I live in smaller than that now but I have a storage unit

15. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

296 square feet. Plenty big enough for a couple, lots of storage room. Been in it about 7 years now.

16. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I am trying to decide what size cabin to build right now. Maybe 16 wide by 48. I will most likely live in a yurt while building. Sad how you have to consider taxes when you think about the size and amount of buildings you should put up.

Zimmy, arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

so true, it takes alot of effort to live closely and in a small space with other people.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and arleigh like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For a year my wife and our 2 kids and i lived in a Winabago motor home ,other times a 12x14 cabin and other small apartments .
    You do what you have to to survive and we did just fine with out a big home.
    So far as living space it doesn't take a lot actually , Even my son is thinking of building a tiny home.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

It's a little difficult being a prepper while living in a RV or tiny home. Tiny homes are fine for a minimalist lifestyle. Minimalists are too dependent on other people and very vulnerable to conditions beyond their control.

For me, it's a balancing act, have enough food stored to last until the gardens get going, keep a good supply of tp and other necessities, and not overload the RV!

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

16' travel trailer for 13 months. Never again.

Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7