What is the smallest living space you have ever dwelt, long term ?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Feb 16, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The travel trailer comments brought back memories of my home in Stafford VA. The trailer had tail lights on the back and was sporting a 1953 VA license plate. I could lay on the sofa in the "living room" and with my feet on one wall, easily touch the opposite wall. Our power was via extension cord from a neighboring trailer, and most of the trailer was heated by the gas oven and electric toaster oven.

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

and share the same bunk , with NOT a partner but a bro ..

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  3. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

19 ft travel trailer with 2 large dogs for 3 months for a military school years ago. 39ft 5th wheel for 4 months when work tansferred me but my kids stayed behind with my hisband to finish the school year in the old location. Plywood palace overseas with the military divided up with plywood walls so we each had some privacy. It was a small walk in closet.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have to assume the question isn't looking for a shipboard bunk on long patrols? We didn't eat in the berthing spaces like the Brits used to do.
    two feet wide, 6 feet long, 18 inches high, all mine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I drove for many years and the sleeper wasn't very large. My bosses complained about idle time but at least I could stay cool or as warm as I wanted.

oldawg, arleigh, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I often look at my bed room which has a bath and I may have to move into a much smaller space to accommodate couples with kids . Who knows how complicated it can get.
    The barn has a loft we built for storing junk that can be converted to a living space I might find comfortable. you do what you have to .

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

so you bunked in that space or lived in it? Mess hall space?

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have no trouble sleeping in a one man tent, but latrine an cooking are a bit more complicated .

Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Nice to know I'm in such good company! (y)

Yep, spent ~4.5 years of my young life, on board a carrier (just a little bit more public access room than a sub....and the ability to go topside, to see the sun, whenever we remembered to do so! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:). Being a snipe, we spend so much time down in the "hole", that we occasionally have to remind ourselves, that there's sunshine and fresh air available!

I did get lucky, though, and found a top bunk, with no cable runs, pipes or conduits running over it. Figured it must have been a mistake....but snagged it, so I could actually sit up, in my rack! :eek::whistle:

navy rack.

10. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

When I was a kid (about 5/6 yo?) we spent about 6 months in a tent. (Dad was building a house on the property) in B.C. Canada.
    Think it was about 5x8?.. spent most of my time running around outside playing in the creek looking for garter snakes and frogs so wasent bothered. My current house is a 300 year old fishermans cottage . About 550 sf give or take.

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Cruisin Sloth

Nice !!Been on any BRIT-SHIT subs ?
    Been on a few of yours also , HILTON'S CIGAR ..

natshare and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Where @runswithdogs

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

I was at Columbia University Graduate Business School and lived in a Graduate Dorm Suite which was the size of a large Closet! The sad thing is my folks wouldn't let me live in our apartment which was about a 40 minute one way Subway Commute cause they wanted me out! LOL! PS Columbia University was in a lousy neighborhood too!

14. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

South of Quesnel, at Dragon mountain. Used to toboggan down the mt road :D

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

K
    Know the area

oldman11 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Runs with Dragons??? Kool!

17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Seemingly hard times toughen us up for the future .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Have a feeling the road we lived on was called Dragon Mountain road. Would need to ask my mom. (6 year olds dont really care what road names are ) but if your ever in that area and see an A frame house on the Right side before the road starts heading up the hill. Then its probably the house my Dad built (if its still there)

Turns out Dragons are smaller than people imagine... and theyre fun to race....:D
    2F7C8A08-31B6-402A-8E2F-A3898FBCAA8E.

Ganado, Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Nope! Pulled my sub volunteer status, about 1/2 way thru my primary training, before getting a fleet assignment.

I did tour the old WW2 US Navy submarine museum, at Pearl Harbor, though. I'm only 6 feet tall, and that made me feel like I was at least a foot taller! :eek: Might be okay for some....but I enjoyed being able to take a fresh air & sunshine break, every so often! :rolleyes::LOL:

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7