What is your Achilles heel?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by William Warren, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Good point Kell. That being said, I have to say that all my previous posts are from my evil twin in Maine. I just took over this member ID from him tonight. I am new to this thing called prepping and have a lot to learn. Do not have any food, supplies or weapons stored yet, but hoping to pick up a 22 rifle late next year, lol.

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

@Mindgrinder Our St. John's Wort is thriving here, it's not great soil and it is no surprise if it gets to 30below(Farenheit) in the winter, and I don't protect it at all, the 2nd year it put out 2 babies.

I would say health is ours, we basically can't bug out on our own. Doesn't mean we're helpless though, it means defending this place is an even higher priority. Do NOT think you can come to our place without an invite unless you have a death wish or a warrant.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I think mine would have to be just old age. Knowledge and skills just can't always replace strength and stamina. Although I won't need as much artificial light since I'm usually ready for bed shortly after sundown these days. :)

tulianr and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I live in a rural area, but still in a small housing development... so my neighbors are way to close to me for my comfort. I would prefer to have more distance for a proper secure perimeter.... but on the flip side I do have some neighbors that would work together for mutual security/protection. Would that be enough... I suppose that comes down to how many MZB's come down the road. Working on relocating to a better layout/environment.... soon.

The other issue I see, is the lack of extended family preparedness. I seem to be the one they all look to in ensuring we have a plan and supplies. That does not give me a warm comfy feeling, thinking of possible scenarios.... and a bunch of them and their friends heading my way for refuge. Getting them better prepared and in the right mindset is an ongoing project....

Mindgrinder, tulianr and oldawg like this.
  5. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

How aboot dental for you old timers?
    *grumble* - I really should go get the work I need done while I still have 100% coverage.
    *grumble* - hate dentists.

oldawg likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I hear they hate you too....:D:lol:

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Plastic MG, plastic.Corn on the cob,ice,apples, ribs bone and all no problem. Super glue and JB Weld and they are good as new if you could break them.

Mindgrinder likes this.
  8. Mine is information. I never really knew how lacking local radio news can be during a crisis until thats the only source of info I have. My city was dark for 11 days during the 2011 tornadoes, I learned alot about needing local info. I managed just fine but I used alot of fuel and other items that I would not have used had I been able to know the status of local services. I think HAM might be something I would like to look into.

Its funny now but at the time when I was boiling water in my backyard for oatmeal I would have liked to know that 2 miles away was one of the only restaurants with a generator and hot food. I never knew that until it was all over.

oldawg and Mountainman like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Hey Tempo welcome to the Tree. Look around here. We have many branches with Monkey hams sitting there. About every thing from beginner to advanced ham info to be had here. Again welcome.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There are a lot of Posts in the Comms Forum, about what is required for a Ham Radio License...

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

And some moaning from some long time hams about how easy it is these days. Puts me in mind of those who claim they walked to school and back home, uphill both ways.

alaskachick, oldawg, kellory and 2 others like this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

And don't forget the 5 foot of snow and the pack of rabid dogs.

13. kellory

barefoot while carrying your brother.....

14. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What's sneaux?

15. kellory

Not much, what's snaux withchu?

16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Not Much, Helping a neighbor getting his generator up and running, And you?

17. kellory

Fixing a rare treat, bacon wrapped scallops.:)

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like that!

alaskachick and kellory like this.
  19. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

LOL, the only problem is that in elementary school, my youngest daughter DID walk uphill both ways. There was a deep valley between our hill top home and the school. :)

mysterymet, BTPost and ghrit like this.
  20. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

Type 1 diabetic. I basically starve to death without insulin. Joy oh joy. :(

Whynot

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7