What is your favorite .22 rifle to hunt or plink with

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Stillwater, Aug 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Stillwater

Stillwater Monkey+++

Personally I prefer semiautomatic type .22 rifles for hunting, and almost anything else for plinking or other informal shooting.

Some of my friends teasingly call me a .22 snob, because I prefer higher graded .22 rifles for my activities. Although I do own, and appreciate, the Ruger 10/22 Sporter rifle. I prefer the Ruger 10/22 Sporter because of the better stock design (in my opinion) and the lack of a barrel band which the carbine has.

I have other .22 rifles such as the Marlin 39 and the Winchester 9422 rifles. I have a Winchester 1885 Low Wall in .22 LR. That is a classic, reissued, Single shot rifle. It was so expensive that my wallet cried when I bought it.

When I was young, I had access to an old Stevens Favorite single shot that I enjoyed which taught me fire discipline and to be a better hunter. I have bought three other reissues of the old Stevens favorite, one by Savage, one by Stevens and a quality high grade rifle build by a Georgia company named Varner, before they went out of business.

I also have Winchester slide (pump action) action .22 rifles. One is the Model 61, and the other is an unfired Model 62A.

It is really hard to find quality .22 LR rifles to buy anymore, unless you run into a good used .22 rifle.

Bill

Cruisin Sloth and bob2231 like this.
  2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

My favorite .22 is a Volquartsen.
    It's packed away right now but I've got it set up to accept a suppressor and it's as accurate as the grade of ammo I feed it.
    https://www.volquartsen.com/tags/8-volquartsen-rimfire-rifles,15-complete-firearms

83-superlite-black.
    83-superlite-black. 83-superlite-black.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My all time favorite 22Lr is the rifle I received on my 12th Birthday. Winchester Model 69a... clip feed, bolt action, with my Unitril 24X40 Optics, on High Blocks and a Redfield Target Peep Sight, mounted just behind the rear of the Bolt. Tack driver at 50ft, Nickel sized groups at 50Yds, and Beer Cans or Soda Bottles at 100 yds.... and if I need better than that, I drag out the Old Mans, Winchester 52 Pre A, 28" Bull Barrel, and move the Untril Optics over to that fine rifle... ......

3M-TA3 likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Having over thirty rimfire rifles at last head count, it's impossible to say. My 'favorite' changes as interest at the moment changes.
    I have everything from cheap singleshot "Boy's Rifles" through bolties, semiautos and leveractions, up to some decent heavy barrel target rifles.
    My Ruger 10-22 WallyMart Special Rifle (longer barrel, rifle stock) is actually lower on the list - have never been impressed by it, even after accurizing. Got it mainly as a newer 'benchmark' to compare the older rifles to - they generally better it easily.

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

#1 - A Remington 514
    #2 - A Wally World 10-22

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My favorite is a Winchester Model 63 and a Colt Woodsman. I love my Ruger 77-.22 but it can't compare with the Model 63 for accuracy or elegance and I have never found a pistol that tops the Woodsman for total "Class".

7. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Mossberg M44 US .22 Trainer with an older 4x Redfield Widefield scope and sling.

Bought it new from CMP, removed all the cosmoline and replaced the plastic trigger guard since it had deformed with age.

oldawg likes this.
  8. rimfirehunter

rimfirehunter Monkey++

Ahhh...... my favorite rimfirehunter rifle... Love This Topic!!!

My two favorite plinking rimfire rifles are my AR-7 with collapsible stock and Ruger 10/22.

For hunting when I am using a rifle...

Marlin 925M .22Mag scoped when hunting the mountain unit.
    Savage Mk II scoped standard barrel, plastic stock for general woods use
    AR-7 for spur of the moment hunts because its always in the truck.

My primary small game hunting gun is a Ruger 22/45 with 4.5" PacLite fluted upper with cheap 1" dot sight.

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Winchester M-52 Model B

Ruger 10-22

Brokor and BTPost like this.
  10. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I have to agree with BTpost on this one- I have a couple of Winchester model 69's (not 69A's, just 69) that I love to shoot. They are well made weapons, and even when they aren't well taken care of they can still perform really well. As long as the rifling is good and the barrel is shiney, I've been able to bring it back to good working order.

I had one that the end of the barrel was rusted on the inside. I had my gunsmith cut it down to 16" and thread it. Like BTpost's 69A, with a 6-24 power scope I can do amazing things with it at 50 yards. And to think it was a basket case rifle.

My other Model 69, I removed the aftermarket scope and mount and put Lyman globe sights on it and use it for my biathlon rifle. I love getting 0 misses with it, all the while watching other competitors with Anschutz rifles getting 1 or more misses... I came pretty close to tieing an olympic competitor while she was doing the summer biathlon for practice for the winter biathlon. Her husband (also an olympic competitor) kept rooting for me- "beat her, beat her!" He kept yelling. funny stuff. Unlucky for me, I choked on the last string, missed one shot, and she won by 1.

We then traded rifles for a little while and I got to shoot her Anschutz. The rifle was down right dangerous- the trigger had NO takeup and was set at 4 ounces- that's right- OUNCES. I don't know how she could shoot the thing safely. She did it, though. I love the fortner action- very quick- pull it straight back with the top of your thumb, eject the shell, pick up the new one with a flick of your index finger to close it. Click-click, just that fast.

Fun times.

11. bountyhunter

bountyhunter Monkey+

my favorite isthe girl friends 10-22 ruger...sweet!!

12. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

My Marlin Mod60 with the medallion on the side, unmodified of course. I like it for what it's worth. Sweet little rifle that you can pop off a looooooooot of ammo through and not miss a beat. Lol.

13. andrew ebert

andrew ebert Monkey

marlin model 25 bolt action rifle and the s&w 22a.

14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

Winchester 9422 is sweeeeeeet. I have a matched pair of pre-checkered XTR's, LR and magnum. Never shot the magnum yet.

any reference to owning firearms is part of a dream I had.

oldawg likes this.
  15. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Ruger 77/22 w/ a 3-9 Bushnell scope on it. I have shot more CMP matches and killed more squirrels than I can count with that rifle. Had it for the past 28 years.
    There was an old dump down the road from my grandparents farm when I was a youngin. My cousin and I would spend an entire day (and a couple bricks of .22 shells) down there shooting cans, tvs, washers, milk tanks, whatever was there to shoot, we shot it.

Tully Mars and gunbunny like this.
  16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Favorites to plink, all around just fun? Accurate, reliable and I can spend all day firing them.

Savage Mark II (bolt action)
    DSC00098.JPG
    Mossberg 151k (semi classic)
    DSC00090.JPG

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

My favorite is the second gun I owned as a kid, Winchester 190 semi bought brand new from KMart in the 70's. Thousands of rounds fired, have never had a problem with it and is still being used to shoot digger squirrels to this day.

18. Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf Monkey+++

Glennfield Model 60 tube feed
    Ruger 10/22
    Ranger .22

19. bad_karma00

bad_karma00 Monkey+

I prefer the 10/22 as well. I also have a Henry Youth model that my nephews learned with after they outgrew the chipmunk they all started on. My youngest nephew now has it.

The 10/22 is a good all around plinker and small game hunter, rugged and reliable, IMO.

I admit that if I had the funds I'd opt for the Ruger bolt action, just because it's more versatile. Perhaps more accurate, but I haven't shot one enough to make that call.

20. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

A Remington nylon 66 is the one I pick up first,for accuracy it would be a Marlin model 80 bolty.

1. natshare
  2. Oddcaliber
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Brokor
  5. Brokor
  6. RouteClearance
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Oltymer
  10. AD1
  11. Lekdro
  12. Motomom34