What is your fighting style?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Oct 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knives and guns aside ,what skills do you own in your war chest .
    I must confess that my expertise is roman style wrestling mixed with some karate .
    But with no one to spar with ,I mostly have practiced with my swords which are not enough if one is reduced to hand to hand .
    I am afraid that my age and physique are against me and I am taking measures to get back into shape .

UncleMorgan, GOG, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Give Krav Maga a look, it's a pretty cool and unique style of Martial arts that isn't seen much in the U.S.! Sort of like Judo and Jujitsu that usually works out better for us Older Folks! I find that combined with other arts, This is pretty deadly, especially when going up against some one who is also trained in Mixed arts! I Usually come out on top because of this, and it allows me to use my size and weight better, Plus, It takes the speed advantage away from the other guy and allows me to get him on the ground so I can really work him over good! Any hand to hand skill is going to be an advantage when you really need it!

3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ice cold and calm.I wait for you to make the move then I make you pay for it. I fight dirty and I fight to prevent you from continuing. No name for my style - maybe Dirty Ice.

Motomom34, UncleMorgan, GOG and 5 others like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Hakkroyu Jujitsu... Hanbo, and Manrikki... I'm pretty good with sabre and epée and I'm regionally ranked throwing bowies and axes....

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I play guitar, does that count?

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have enough Judo, Tae Kwan Do and Kenpo training to get my ass kicked so I depend on the EDC knife, 9MM or .45ACP. I will not give an opponent an advantage. Too old to roll around on the ground.

If you are talking about SHTF fighting style, I'd have to call it hit and run... :cool:

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You know what they say about messing with old men. Just don't do it.

M118LR, UncleMorgan, GOG and 4 others like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Only if you're dueling banjos!

Sharpened plectra might smart though. ;)

UncleMorgan likes this.
  9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yup! Can't afford the time.... :D

UncleMorgan, GOG, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

If I feel a threat, I will pull the deadliest option in my war chest. I will first go to guns, knives and then hand to hand. I will not submit, I will not relent in protecting my own!!!

If I have to go hand to hand...just know that I have been trained by the best....bring it. ;)

UncleMorgan, GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. duane

duane Monkey+++

Am old enough to have been introduced to the bayonet on the M-1 and being told, that if it got stuck you could fire a round and break it loose. If I have a round. I sure as he** won't be using the bayonet. At 78, all of the fighting styles are in my past. I don't have the balance nor strength to do that any more. For most of us, the knowledge of hand to hand combat is a rubber crutch, looks and sounds good, but doesn't help any. Your knowledge has to be backed up by muscle memory, strength, speed, and balance. I have some of the knowledge, but will not kid myself about being able to do it any more and although I will do my best, I don't expect it to help much. A scope or a red dot will help my failing eye sight when I shoot, but I know of no crutches to help my ageing body in hand to hand combat.

jim2, oldawg, UncleMorgan and 6 others like this.
  12. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Bat Shit Crazy with sides of Moi Thai & Boxing ;)

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I know "backwoods Survival Hand to Hand" mixed in with "bastardized things I picked up from people who actually knew stuff" . Trying to take up HEMA wrestling, to compliment my current bladed styles.

UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

This one looks like it works.

UncleMorgan, GOG, duane and 5 others like this.
  15. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I understand exactly what you're saying; however, I also learned a long time ago NOT to wait.

Nowadays I call my fighting style, 'The Modern Drone'. (The target will become 100% engaged, 'from out 'a the blue' WITHOUT prior warning!) ;)

UncleMorgan and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I prefer to take down my opponents while they're asleep. Much more humane that way. :D If they're awake, drive over them. The truck has more punch than I do. Deprived of 3 am stealth, 4 wheel drive, or the myriad of guns, knives, staffs and swords around the place, I've still got some martial arts and boxing to fall back on. Preferably not fall down on tho. Tried judo and I'm like a damn turtle on it's back once I'm on the ground. Something about being on the floor makes my whole being say "Ooooh nap time!"

Motomom34, UncleMorgan, GOG and 3 others like this.
  17. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I keep a straight razor for backup and its always close ---always

UncleMorgan, GOG and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

i prefer to just live so far out, that most confrontations just do not happen.... but if one does come, i tend to employ massive response as fast as possible, and until the threat has been dealt with...

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To me, any discussion of which style of fighting will win, style on style, is a loser around my house. I'm almost always (amused, conflicted, or puzzled) about "style" when fighting is addressed. I suppose it means something when competition is under discussion, but when it comes to surviving a confrontation with a bg or three, the term becomes meaningless. Accordingly, seems to me that style discussion has to include shoot first before the bg is within grappling distance so that style is irrelevant.

chelloveck, UncleMorgan, GOG and 5 others like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I appreciate every one's input, thanks all around.
    A wake up call I had the other day, my son and I decided to do some air soft combat with out any warming up.
    That was a serious mistake.
    We took a few shots at one another and I went to run, and pulled a muscle in my leg, and went strait to the ground .I may as well have been actually shot I was out of the game hard, and muscle damage took a long time to repair.
    Had that been a live fire event I would have been dead for sure.
    Relying on what you think you know with out doing something to stay in shape, is in fact a self deception .I learned the hard way.

chelloveck, UncleMorgan, GOG and 3 others like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. oldman11
  3. Ganado
  4. Big Ron
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. DKR
  10. Motomom34
  11. enloopious
  12. lonewolf88