What Is Your Personal Every Day Carry

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am just a simple Monkey trying to help...you are welcome. You have the same "power", just have to learn the site.....

kellory and Tonners like this.
  2. Yard Dart

We had a family dinner the other night.... and decided to do a family photo....
    1463006_716129211733671_2117653537_n.

3. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I guess this depends on what you consider "every day carry" and how you carry it.

I define it as what I carry on my person (not requiring a backpack or similar accessory) whenever I leave the house even if just for a short errand. This does not include specialty items that I may want for a specific purpose or activity, or for my job.

My nugget of wisdom is: The more tactical gadgets and/or dozens of extra rounds of ammo one lugs around for nebulous "in case SHTF" purposes, the more likely it is they have crossed from prepared to paranoid. Their over the top choices are frequently rationalized with a variation of the tiresome "Better to have it and not need it..." cliche. What else could explain the thought process of a person who wears a paracord bracelet to run out to Walgreens? Yes I'm being a smartass, but seriously, I personally know a few folks who won't go to the mailbox without bringing enough gear for a full season of Survivor.

As for me, my EDC is a Leatherman, a flashlight, a S&W 9mm compact with one 12-round mag installed, and the usual wallet, keys, phone, etc. That's it. And much of the time I blow off carrying the gun.

When the need warrants it, I have a backpack that can be set up in numerous configurations. I don't consider it "every day carry" but more like "sometimes carry". Options include a 2-meter ham radio, a police scanner, bottled water, first aid kit, snack foods, change of clothes.

I like to travel light and take only what I realistically think I might need to bail me out of a problem. The backpack is used only when I'm going to be more than a short distance from home.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    STANGF150 likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Everyday when I leave the house at 6 AM I travel 45 miles to work crossing many bridges over water and a small mountain pass. During my daily activities I will potentially travel to two or three different locations in the area to visit job sites. Some of these areas are not as safe as I would like to stay, so I need to be prepared to defend myself- hence a solid EDC to have the tools needed for the job.

In my work rig I carry a get-home bag, which serves that purpose if needed, due to whatever major event may take place that will keep me from driving and put me on foot. We are prone to earthquakes (bridges are everywhere here and they do fall down), Tsunami, I have a rather large volcano sitting out my backdoor, and add to that the threats of an EMP/nuke (we are a primary target for our wacky Korean/Asian friends that may want to strike first) or (insert event here).

In short, when I walk out that door in the morning, I want to know I have the supplies and tools to get home again. Call it over kill to have more food, water or bullets than maybe one would need to go to the store down the street.... but then life has a mean way of reminding us of not being properly prepared... I will try to keep Murphy from sneaking into my gear as best as I can.

5. smith and wesson M&P VTAC 9mm
    esee IZULA
    Leatherman MUT

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

I've heard so many different stories about Mace and pepper spray that I don't know what to believe. Some people say that the "civilian" versions are useless, others that it's better to use Bear Spray, some that only a Taser is effective.

Have you ever used the type you have? Was it effective?

William Warren

7. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

You can't get a carry-permit for a handgun here because of regulations.
    Yeah, my daughter loves making bracelets and stuff and she keeps making stuff for me to wear although IMHO paracord is highly overrated.
    2013-12-29 15.30.44 (1).

8. Here is a few items anyone can carry no matter where you work.

Cell Phone - extremely useful

Bandana - Can be use for many different things.

Pen - Can be used as a self defense weapon as an improvised Kubotan if of course you are trained.

Key Ring - You need to be creative here to think of items you could attach to your key ring. This would be a great place to carry your Whistle or your key chain flashlight.

Wallet - You should have a prepaid calling card, phone number list, spare keys, emergency cash.

Yard Dart likes this.
  9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I agree with this although it really depends on your area (city vs rural), availability of services to you or that you can get to if you have need, distance your traveling, types of roads you're traveling on, etc. In my work life, (on-call 24x7), I'm an emergency responder who's responsible for the safety of 12 others. EMS and/or Life Flight services can be 45 minutes away on a good day - then they have to navigate through 16 miles of private roads in our unmarked 6000 acre project. My EDC is quite extended if you count the contents of my truck: AED, full trauma kit, spec-pack back board, emergency tower descent devices, etc. I carry (2) epi-pens even though I'm not allergic to anything. I wonder what percentage of wall mounted AEDs go unused? Probably quite high. Paranoid? In my case it's prudent.

This is key. I don't carry anything when walking down to my mailbox. When I'm away from home it's usually more than 20 miles. My wife and I also carry 'get home kits' in our trucks which contain shelter, blankets, boots, water, etc. We live in avalanche country and have to navigate some sketchy mountain passes quite often. I don't always carry when heading into the grocery store although I always carry at church...

Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  10. Yard Dart

That cracks me up Melbo....I always carry at church as well.

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Well, we all have our backs to the door... I use a bible app on my ipad and position it so the screen acts as a rear view mirror to the doors. Call me paranoid but historically, a congregation of worshippers is a ripe target.

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. Yard Dart

I stand at the doors....nobody walks in without getting an eyeball on them to make sure they look "normal" per se.
    As a head usher & part of our security team, I am always on the ready. To many domestic issues or vendetas get solved nationally in church... we will not have that happen at ours if we can prevent it. Our church runs two services and has a dedicated security team in place. Our sole mission is to watch over the flock while the congregation gets to hear the good word. Half our team is either ex-mil or is LEO so we are well trained in our task. :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    melbo and kellory like this.
  13. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Ok I'll play:
    DSCN0854_zps4f0cb613.

Clockwise from top;
    Colt1991 rebuilt by someone unknown who replace all the internals, Dead nuts accurate and has not malfed in the time I've had it. My favorite pistol. Carried condition one in a Tucker coverup +IWB. 8+1, Hornandy Critical defense loads.
    Buck 110 folder
    NAA .22Magnum, I added the boot grip for better control. The pistol and holster fits right into a shirt pocket and with the flap buttoned, you'd never know it's there. (I don't wear dress shirts)
    Wallet; Id & FRN's
    Sabre OC/CS stream
    Spare mag with 8 rounds as above.
    I-phone usually in airplane mode unless I am making a call
    (Left in secure location when not at work)
    Analog writing device.

3M-TA3 and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Yard Dart

"Analog writting device"....nice phrase @NotSoSneaky . I will have to remember that one. :cool:

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  15. Collapsenik

Collapsenik On Hiatus Banned

Ruger SR1911.

If dressed lightly, Ruger LC9.

16. mikeh53

mikeh53 Monkey+

Being in a high profile job... but still exposed to a lot of people when no one elses is around... I feel the need to be armed... (everyone should be!) IF I am out at night or going to be in a bad area... I cary my 40 or 45, most of the time I at least have one of them in my auto... but always if I am dressed... I have my little North American 5 shot 22LR revolver in my right front pocket...

Its un detectable! Its in the same area I cary my waist pouch and keys
    waist pouch carries (Letherman super tool, mini Mag flash light, electrical scisors, bick lighter, 20 ft para cord, 3 ft tape mesure, and permant marker, in a small zip lock in the pouch $200 in small bills, and a thumb drive with copies of all my licances, deeds, account numbers, files collections, small dowl with 50 ft fishing line,in a second small ziplock, hooks, splitshot, suture kit, h20 tretment tablets.

keys have small flashlight, mini Letherman, keys

wallet contains normal stuff, another stashed hundred in small bills ( I find I hardly ever use cash... use my debet card) an old gas card wrapped with 20 ft duct tape, 10 extra rounds for my 22.

Folks may look down on my lil 22 revolver but, it has given me good service for 25 plus years of everyday cary! 5 22 snapper HP at close range would discorage anyone! Killed a big GS dog trying to bite me, and a 700 lb bull (one shot behind its ear) my budy was about to process. At close range its effective and a gun I can have on me no matter what the occation or place

One time I forgot about it on a comersial flight pre 9-11. When the mettle detector went off in Denver lay over palmed it under my hands on top of my head, while the wond discovered the metal in my legs from a fall, while telling about the fall and mettle in my legs I stuck my hands back in my pockets and droped my pistol back in my pocket... no one knew the Diff... In an emergency the best in in the world is the one you have with you!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    NotSoSneaky and Yard Dart like this.
  17. xls

xls Monkey

My every day is a toy water gun, a lighter and a ink pin.( I am yet to see a man pull a gun on me, and me pull mine, and have him shoot me before I light his @$$ in fire! And I assur you once he is on fire he cares little about robbing or shooting anything!!

I feel people over expect and prep for things, when common knowlege and balls of steel is all that's needed.

18. SemperFiSkye

SemperFiSkye Monkey+

I'm disappointed to note that hardly anyone has any form of first aid on them.

My EDC is krazy glue.

I cut my thumb off once (well, the bone was still there), through the nail and everything. $2.99 medical expense with krazy glue:

19. xls

xls Monkey

MikeH- you might want
    To rethink the .22, I know everyone handles the idea of using a firearm differently and it leads some to believe a caliber is acceptable, I assume both animals were head shot and if you ever have to use your sidearm on a 2 leg you can get a good round off.
    I was shot 3# times at 6 feet one evening as I stood in check out at a gas station, wrong place, wrong time, after the initial burn and impacts I turned disarmed and fed him his gun.
    I was with my team, between deployments and we all had sidearms. After the perp was neutralized I waited for the ambulance and talked with the law At 6' and his arm out( 3-4' off the gu
    his sub compact .22 did not penetrate a shoulder blade, this is not to say a hyper velocity would act the same.
    Yes I was lucky, but if your life depended on it, would you want him to be lucky?? I wouldn't !

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. charliefox42

charliefox42 Monkey

I generally carry a large folder and a multitool of some flavor. I also carry a small flashlight, my wallet, a pen and a hanky. I always wear a watch. Then I add my iPhone. In my bag is my laptop, iPad, pads of paper, more pens and pencils, another flashlight, a small PSK and FAK and another multitool. Wow, I carry too much stuff...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7