What is YOUR SHTF Event?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tully Mars, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Recently there has been a lot of talk here about when,where,how will we know when the S hits the fan. Most jump to an act of nature, the economy crashing, ISIS or that short fat dude in N.Korea reaching the US shores with a nuke of some sort.

But can't it be something much simpler? Something that effects only you and/or family? Doesn't that still qualify as a SHTF event? The how and why doesn't always matter, if the effects are still felt, right?

Back in September my wife came to me and told me the kids (my step son and DiL) were having trouble financially. Unfortunately this was not news. In the past we had offered advice and provided help. The help was taken, but not the advice. They are both good kids, but to be frank go through money like poo through the goose as it were. With the kind of upbringing I had and the way I am I was ready for the "Tough Love" to kick in and let them feel what sinking is like compared to the swimming part. She told me they wanted to come over for supper and "talk". I was also told to be prepared for them asking to move in with us.
    In Our New House That Was Built By Us For US...

I was NOT a happy camper about this, not in the least, and made sure the wife knew it.

I enjoy being an "empty nester". The new nest was just fine with two occupants IMO. But,(there's always a butt huh guys?) after a few days I settled down and gave this situation some real thought.
    We had the supper and afterwards, after hearing the whole thing we really had no choice. They had gotten themselves into a real financial fix. Long story short, they either moved in here or slept in the truck. We have them on a strict budget, they help out with things here in one form or fashion and are on track to be squared away and in a home they will buy in about 18 months give or take.

Right or wrong, their fault or not, this was their SHTF.
    Not as bad as the world ending-or was it? It was to them...

Now for the good stuff.
    I cannot not imagine not having them here. All of my fears about getting along, having to adjust ect. were for naught. We all get along great. We all help each other, laugh, joke whatever. There have been a few times when there was a bit of friction, but it passed quickly. They are on board with our lifestyle and seeing it day to day has helped them see the what and why we do certain things. My stepson is a LEO, and since they've been here we have really upped our weapons/CQB training. I haven't been to a school in many years, but as soon as he gets in from one we are all taught what was covered in his latest class. Sass has helped him with his medical stuff and they both are going to a combat medic class later this year. DiL is going to be in charge of the new chickens that will be arriving the first week of March, as well as helping us in the garden.

Just because S may HTF, doesn't mean you can't rise from the ashes...

2. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

This may happen with lots of folks or may have in the past. At one time with our children, in laws and outlaws we had 18 people living with us. As each family finally got on their feet it was a relief to them and us. (Some didn't get along to well) Daughter in laws parents decided to move back to VA. Another help. We lived through it.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Family is different than ALL Other Relationships.... Family comes first, but NOT at the expense of Self.... When Family is in a tough spot, then Help is made available.... Not necessarily what they ask for, but what they actually need.... Sometimes "Tough Love" is REQUIRED... and it is Family that needs to be there for them... Not as "Enablers" but as Family...

4. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

You don't say how long the kids have been living with you, but I'm going to guess that long term you will easily be able to imagine not having them there. o_O

But anyway, my personal SHTF has not hit yet, but I am bracing to be sucked into someone else's.

There are two very important people in my life who have not done very well economically. Some of it is their fault, some of it is not. As it always is in these situations, no one is totally guilty and no one is totally innocent.

For now they are doing ok, living on their own and paying their bills, but just barely. Neither have any meaningful savings or assets. We are all less than ten years from retirement age.

As for me, I have done much better. I've lived well below my means and have enough of a nest egg that I am hoping to retire early. The problem is that as we get old I'll probably have to carry these two financially as well, at least in part.

The alternative is to cut them loose and see them still working into their 70's and never have any real rest or peace. I don't want that to happen, yet I'm somewhat limited as to what I can do.

I have plenty of room on my land and have even half-serious, half-joked about opening my own invite-only "trailer park" so they have a place to live. It would not be a glorious lifestyle, but it would be decent and dignified. I own a house in Illinois I could sell to finance the project without tapping into my retirement money.

One of these people likes my idea and is grateful for the opportunity. The other does not want to spend their Golden Years in Redneckville. This person would prefer to live in my house in Illinois and rent it from me, at a well below market rate, of course. If I allow that, then I can't sell the place and get my money out.

I laid the law down to the objector. Basically, I told them either live in my "trailer park" in Redneckville or go do your own deal with your own money (which they don't have).

What I learned from this is that I can't retire for three people, I can't worry about everyone even if I love them, and I can't plan my whole life around everyone else's wish list.

The final chapter to this story has yet to be written.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Motomom34, techsar, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Since September 2016

6. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My SHTF event happens pretty regularly when my wife discovers a new gun or guitar in my collection; I tried to explain spontaneous regeneration to her but she is a mite skeptical about that theory.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Seacowboys Tell her that you have a Gun Compressor.... My Dual Phd Partner postulated, Decades ago! That inanimate objects have a Specific Vapor Pressure. This causes them to disappear, sometimes, especially when you know exactly where you left them, but they are just gone.... So.... He then postulated that in order to get them back, you MUST compress those Vapors, and they will spontainiously ReAppear.... You turn on the Compressor, and "Whum, wham bam" out pops those keys, to the car you lost, last week... Then you run it again, and " Whum, wham bam" out comes the Ugly China, you wife liked, but you thought you used for Targets, at the Range.... Then you try once more, and Wham Bam, Whum, Gurrr, Screech, Blat" and this goes on for two hours, than Blamo, out comes a 20 Ton Forging Press.... See, Your Compressor just needs to be tuned for FireArms....[lolol][peep]

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

For me, it would have to be ....

The State that manages my wife's retirement goes bankrupt and her monthly payments stop. My retirement is viewed as an entitlement and it stops. Then I have to live on the run until the truck and trailer are repossessed, then I'd be forced to go mountain man and live off the land. :D

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I've had a few of those SHTF situations myself, the latest one last fall. I survived but not without help that came from 2 people, the first who gave me support and confidence I needed to work with the second one.

I grew up knowing that my parents were my safety net, not there to rescue me from every bump in the road but there when the bottom fell out. I no longer have my parents so the few close friends who fill that role for me, let me know that I matter to them are treasures in my life.

I have tried be that same safety net for my family and give them the security of knowing they are not alone in the world. I'm not an open wallet nor an open door but I am the safety net they know they can rely on when they have exhausted their options.

10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The most likely event here would be a tornado spun off of a hurricane. Or if one of us dies. Not to be morbid, but too damned many fools on cell phones, drugs or alcohol behind the wheel these days.
    Prepared? Yes...but it would be TEOTWAWKI for the survivor.

Gator 45/70, Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am currently at the part of giving advice that is not being listened to. My daughter & her BF are making a financial commitment that I know it will end up either taking them in or bailing them out. I can see a train wreck coming, headed their way but they are not listening while I council them over and over. Last nights discussion with the other kids is what will we do when the bottom falls out of the fantasy land that my daughter has created? This will be a watch and wait then figure the right move when the time comes.

You are correct @Tully Mars SHTF comes in all degrees. Losing your home, livelihood and health is huge. I store food and when people see a closet or something I always so it is in-case I lose my job etc... that is what this life is about IMO. We prep for major disaster but a prepared for short-term. I know my children will eat and be fine if I lose my job or am laid up for months.

Ganado, Yard Dart, Tevin and 2 others like this.
  12. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Going through it right now, the financial melting down of Illinois . The more people that leave, the higher the taxes go and the more iron fisted the regulations get. Add in the whole list of new fees, personal taxes, revenue regulations, removing the cap that farmland can be assessed at and the proposed small business tax and it is a true disaster for many of us in IL. Toss in the hundreds of Billions of State debt, unfunded Obligations like the State Employee pensions $111,000,000,000 short fall and it is BAD and going to get a whole lot worse. In hind sight I should have joined the first exodus from IL in 2011 But there was still hope at the time things could get turned around. It is clear now that is not going to be the case. So my plans have adapted and I am farm shopping in MO and TN now and once I find a 150-200 acres that meet my criteria and are in my budget, my exodus will begin. I figure it is going to take a year to find and buy the new place and then another good year to move everything. Another year to get everything organized, set up and back in full production. I am planning on keeping the land here and cash renting it to pay the taxes and return a bit of income. But will be taking down every building and pulling every T post. When they start taxing 10x14 portable hog huts because they are over 100 square feet it has crossed the line. Toss in the only way the state legislature can see to fix the problem is to keep increasing taxes and fees....... Yeah why would we even consider cutting spending! That is just crazy talk and as one snow flake put it.......... Regressive Thinking!!! IL is without a question a SHTF situation for many of us. I am just fortunate enough to be able to absorb the punches the state keeps throwing until I can implement the full exit and withdrawal strategy.

Ganado, Tevin and Tully Mars like this.
  13. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I've had my youngest daughter move back with her kids twice now, my youngest son once himself, once again with his kids some of the time, and had my oldest son and his dog once. I have 5 brothers and sisters and all of us had to move back home at one time or another...myself and my wife/kids included for a couple of months when I first got out of the Corps until I found a job and then found & bought our first home. I remember when I was pre-school, my family moving back in with my grandparents while my Dad went through the process of becoming a cop.

I don't consider this as SHTF for either party. For the kids, it's part of growing up...IMO the kids who never have to get some help from Mom and Dad after they have left the nest are the exception, not the rule. For the parents, it's just another "perq" of being a parent. They always come back...and they always bring back more bodies than they left with. :eek:

I was actually homeless for a spell at the beginning of this century, me and my dog living out of a vehicle that I had to continually move & hide to avoid the repo man. I finally came back here to Ohio and spent a few months sleeping on my brother's couch until I got a job and a place of my own. I didn't consider that SHTF either...just payment & penance for "living the dream" at the expense of taking care of my responsibilities. Long story...I might tell it someday.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hopefully shtf will be like "madmax".
    Me and sloth will be master blaster.
    But I'm not a midget, although some times I wish I was.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's what it looked not that long ago in my state of residence Maine.
    We had libtards running the state into the ground, hundreds of millions of dollars in debt. Then we elected that ass hole republican governor, LePage. He is a hard ass and I like him.
    Free loaders have been cut off from the dole, jobs are coming back, the state had a surplus for the first time in a long time a few years ago now it's a 1 billion dollar surplus for the first time in history.
    And all the liberals are super pissed of course. Because they have to get off their ass and get a job.

techsar, Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

People that have never been homeless for an extended length of time or never done service ,have no idea how bad thing can really be .
    Life in south america is pretty much getting there.
    Having been in some very desperate situations , I am not anxious to see SHTF.
    People will resort to some very desperate things just to make it through another day .

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Hurricanes for me.
    Taxes are not bad 800/900 on one place
    The other 2 places are around 44.00 and 80.00

techsar and Tully Mars like this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Our SHTF was two weeks before xmas when my wife lost her job. We lost about 60% of our household income in one day and our budget used about 80% of that. Since then, we have clamped down on our expenditures in every facet of our budget to ensure we have the longest window for financial solvency. The kids were the first ones to get notice that they were cut off from parental finances.... get over it. ;) We have the budget moving forward, dialed down to about every detail you can imagine...... she even cut my paypal for site supporter... :eek:
    Though we think we have a solid plan moving forward, we are always planning for the worst case. We have not nor will we cut into our preps at this time, it is not needed right now. But they are there if we really had to fall back to them!!

Ganado, Dunerunner, Tevin and 3 others like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. hitchcock4
  8. john316
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid