What kind or physical preparations are you all making?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Meds, Jan 30, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Still eating better and slowly losing thirty years of accumulated excess weight. Walking every day, hunting on 600 acres each weekend. Getting the old Mountainbike back into riding condition.
    Just got new glasses, so I no longer am limited to shooting for "center of fuzzy mass"! Second pair (not bifocals) ordered as spares/field use.

AD1, Dunerunner and chelloveck like this.
  2. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

actually all kidding aside i gave up the BOTTLE about a little over 2and a half weeks ago.
    And man do i feel good . hopefully ill loose some weight also. but it shore does feel good to wake up in the morning early not feeling like shit all day ...
    And the money i save is amasing.... I hope it works out for me ....

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

I run on the treadmill ( I set it to simulate a cross country run that goes up to 6 degree incline at a slow run or very fast walk pace). I do this for 30 minutes. I also lift weights for 45 minutes. I do this 5 days a week split up ( lift in the morning and treadmill at night). My gymnasium is only a mile a way so it is easy to get to in evenings

As the weather improves I will ride a bike about town for errands and such.

4. Amelia here

Amelia here Monkey

I am a small female. I lift small 3 pound weights. It helps to make my bones strong so they don't break if i fall. I also have a rebounder/trampoline i use. Supposed to be the easiest and best to exercise. Opens up the lymph nodes and drains the poisons out to clean our blood. It's fun to bounce to music too.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

My normal PT is this:
    • Daily - (3-5 hours a week) walk / hike
    • 3x a week - 50 push ups, 12 pull ups, 50 body weight squats, 2 min frontal planks, 45 seconds each side planks.
    • 1x a week - 6 50 yard sprints.
    I'm getting ready to start uphill / rough terrain hikes / quick spurts of run with full gear on (plate carrier, level IV plates, mags, rifle, etc) soon.

You can see more of what I do for PT here: Going Primal - My 90 Day Journey to Health | Survival Monkey Forums

AD1, Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  6. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Started back up with the 'Old Corps' daily seven.

7. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I dig a lot of trenches, no kidding. Climb up a lot of ladders holding twenty one foot sections of gas pipe. I am very lucky and blessed to be paid to keep in shape. I am not a large person 160lbs 5'10" . I enjoy being physically fit. I ride a mt bike , like to hike, and love searching for gold be it panning or prospecting. Thinking about finding a little yellow line in my gold pan or sluice always motivates me. I believe that the best way to get and stay fit is to do stuff , any kinda stuff. I participate in a weekly mt bike with an informal group and I see these guys that look down on those that do not ride as well as them and worship riders that are better. Bike snobs. Well I am here to tell you ignore the bike snobs of the world and get out and have fun. It's not about the gear or how you look it is all about how you feel

KAS, kellory and Dunerunner like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

At 65, I need to get back into a routine. Maybe even break out the old P90X and Bowflex workouts.... Maybe that is a little to big a bite for starters... Perhaps a 30 minute routine on the treadmill, then push ups.

KAS likes this.
  9. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I've always been physically active. At 56, I , mountainbike, surf, stand up paddleboard, hike pretty much everyday 1 1/2 -2 hours, hunt, fish, canoe trip, white water, etc. 'cause it's fun.

10. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

I am sadly out of shape right now back injuries and s couple recent surgeries sidelined me for almost a year,am just startinv to get rolling again,before surgery i did a lot of backpacking, fishing,lots of physical labor.i used to feel pretty good about my stamina etc. injuries are starting to take their toll..am on track again now though doing a lot more walking while carrying a pack weighing about 25-30 lbs,plan on bring ready to roll by midsummer, and doing a weeklong trip for mule deer archery season end of sept.
    D

11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Dusted off the Bowflex, lubed the belt on the treadmill, and got all my empty beer bottles out into the brewery instead of sitting in the bottle dryer by the treadmill. The workouts start in the morning...

GrayGhost and Yard Dart like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Run the treadmill motor as a DC generator, and hook it to the portable TV. It would only fire up while walking.:)

GrayGhost and Yard Dart like this.
  13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Cut wood, walk, hunt, work the garden and practice patrolling. I dont run much just short jogs.

Ganado likes this.
  14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I'm back on the Survival of the Fittest forum where I post my food intake, weight and daily exercise. I've worked my way up to 50 pushups and 50 sit-ups every day. I've added side-sit-ups and want to get back out walking as soon as possible. I've been averaging about 7,000 steps per day but that's down from 12,000. Being fit is my first defense to be able to run toward OR away from danger.

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

At almost 62, 6 ft 0" I was approaching 250lbs(and getting there a few times) due to excessive drinking and bad travel food. I travel 2-3 weeks a month for business and let it get me down.

On 1/4/2016 I started the Primal/Paleo journey. Stopped drinking and In one month I have lost in excess of 16 lbs. Walking 3-4 miles a day, mountain biking and hiking. Start weight training next week again.

Goal is sub 210lbs as I tend to bulk up when in the gym.

GrayGhost, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. LouDog

LouDog Monkey

This is a big one for me and probably the issue that causes me the most stress and anxiety. I have MS and recently had to have a partial amputation of my right foot. I have been "non whieght bearing" for the last 3 years as I tried desperatly to save my piggies (they are out to market permanently lol) As a consequence of being laid up so long and the effects MS has on the body I am extremely week in my extremities, legs especially and that has brought on serious balance issues....... my 3yro nephew can push me down. I am still on the mend which is making me even more anxious because the the events that have been unfolding and me wanting to get back in shape before it's too late :(

GrayGhost, Motomom34 and AD1 like this.
  17. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

I hear people talking about going to the gym after work; I say if you have enough energy for that, you're not working hard enough!

Strenuous job...industrial maintenance...motors, gearboxes, processing equipment, et al moved and or manipulated, along with averaging 13000 to 16000 steps a day...I'm a tired pup!

Then, home to wrestle with the young'ens.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Sometimes Im too patient with my self, and take it easy for a day after doing a days work.
    My body argues with my brain telling me I've aged and got injuries that I didn't have 40 years ago.
    Too much to do, and all the time in the world . big problems .

GrayGhost likes this.
  19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Don't give up...just keep at it!

20. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Hiking, humping, hunting, biking, sex and all the hard work required to keep up and improve our home and property is all the workout I want or need these days.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. wideym
  16. Yard Dart
  17. The_Prepared
  18. hot diggity
  19. Dont
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7