What should we teach the children?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Zimmy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Somewhere there was list from the Jeffersonian era of things a young Virginian man should know how to do.

I was thinking about what things monkeys would teach the little apes in a perfect world. My kids can do most of these, although no single one can do all. They're stronger as a group, per design.

Please add ideas as you get them.

Advanced First aid

Geometry

Algebra

Practical chemistry

Swimming to Scuba level

Heavy equipment operation

Advanced driving course

Hand to hand combat unarmed, knives, staff, long blades.

Firearm training including CQB, tactical, long range shooting, maintenance, and reloading.

Basic computer coding

Gardening

Foraging for food and water.

Raising domestic farm animals

Hunting and processing wild game.

Fishing, lines and nets

Rigging, block and tackle application

Quality Cooking

Food preservation

Vehicle maintenance theory

Land navigation and maps

At least one foreign language

Boating

Yoga and meditation

Carpentry

Electronics

Welding

Prayer and religious studies

HAM radio skills

Volunteer work

American constitutional theory and history.

Treatment of illnesses.

2. Zimmy

I suppose there should be something related to the Arts. Musical instruments, painting, sketching, ect.

Really not my forte

Seepalaces likes this.
  3. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

As the wise Lazarus Long once said:
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Those were the things we focused on when raising our children.

3M-TA3, duane, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A young man should know proper etiquette, have some minimal social skills. Crital thinking is a hard thing to teach It must be developed through mentoring and shared example.

Crital thinking is a life long learning effort as well.

I would add some world history and cultures of other peoples as well.

Gator 45/70, Dont, chelloveck and 3 others like this.
  5. Zimmy

The algebra, chemistry, geometry, rigging, and foreign language study are more about brain development (towards critical thinking) than the individual value of each skill.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Good point Perhaps parsing of other people’s words/actions could be more apt for my initial thought.

Saves being blindsided.

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Zimmy like this.
  7. Zimmy

I need that skill. I'm a little too literal

8. In school the relevance, and utility of geometry, trig, was immediately obvious to me. Algebra was another case altogether. They change the rules for every problem. "Course could'a been the personality conflict I had with the first Algebra teacher I had. When I went back to it as an apprentice, (radically different) teacher, it was a breeze.

9. Zimmy

Algebra is just another way to ask questions. I like the mental flexibility it adds.

I didn't really "get" algebra until college. I just faked it in high school so it was worthless to me.

Gator 45/70 and Alf60 like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In College, Calculus was my “Moby Dick” and i failed it, every semester... I had tutors, help from Profs, it just didn’t click... My Brain just isn’t wired for it...One reason I went to Chemistry, instead of Physics... The Math Department Dean called me into his office at the end of my senior year, and told me, “ Mr Gordon, We of the Math Department have watched you struggle with this material, We know you have tried your best, but even with all our help, it just doesn’t seem to be your Forte.... So, Since this is a REQUIRED Course, We have decided to award you a D- Grade in Calculus, IF and obly IF, you Promise, on your Word of Honor, NEVER TO GRACE THE HALLS of a School of Higher Education, in Mathematics, for the rest of your life...” I was stunded, but quickly recovered, and said “Deal”... and I have kept that deal for 50+ Years... Isn’t Education Grand...

11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Geometry was great for me, aside from proofs and theorems. Those, I could not stand.

============================================

English, especially grammar and literature, should be on the list.
    And proper manners, something which is seriously lacking in this part of the world.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I took Agebra at vo-tech school one summer, as I needed a credit in math and failed a math class - the teacher and I hated each other and I walked out of her class. I aced the adult ed course, and got along great with the instructor.
    I never used algebra until I became a programmer-analyst.
    Been doing my own auto mechanics, home electrical and plumbing, etc. since Dad began teaching me as a kid. He was a big DIYer, so I am too. We built our boathouse/garage building, so I learned carpentry and masonry. We did years of commercial fishing, and a little yard gardening. Veggies and fruit.
    I'm not a total Renaissance Man, but I do what I can.

Gator 45/70, Zimmy, Dont and 2 others like this.
  13. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Yous be surprised (maybe not?) at how many kids and young adults can't read a tape measure, tell time from an analog clock, or write in cursive.

14. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

A lot of this depends on lifestyle and locale. I don't see "swimming to SCUBA level" and "boating" as being important if you are in the middle of, say, New Mexico. And I'm sure most people can get by without knowing "heavy equipment operation".

Basic math & science makes sense.

Auto repair...great idea in theory but in the practical world it's getting harder and harder due to technology and proprietary systems.

Computer coding...not really needed to get through life, but useful as a means of income. You have to commit to re-learing the new languages, which change constantly. If you're not coding for a living it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Food prep & gardening...yah that's a very useful everyday skill.

15. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

But, they can text at 45 wpm - shortcut texting.

16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

They've gotta be good at something, I guess...

Gator 45/70 and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Zimmy

Many of these might not be practical in general experience yet could prove invaluable if needed and no one in the group can do them.

Also, these are confidence builders and pride points added to fight insecurities and indecision in life.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knowing and working with in the box, and the courage to think out side the box and knowing when and where to share the out side the box thinking.
    There is a time and place to share what you know, and there is a time as well to with hold certain information . others will abuse you and your knowledge ,your knowledge is worth something .
    The courage to learn new things, and to discern between reality and fantasy , truth and speculation, law and morality .
    People often learn what they can do, but haven't the foresight to know whether they should. .

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  19. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I utterly abhor "text speak". It might have had a use when pagers had very limited character lengths, but should be banned now. It's ruining written English.
    Basic Electronics is a difficult sell too, as nearly all electronics devices are made in a way repair is impossible. Few discrete components. Sealed circuit boards.
    Which factors into auto repair too - unrepairable systems. Without replacement parts and modules, the car is dead.
    The need for special tools impacts it too.

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Ganado
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. john316
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. wideym
  10. OldDude49
  11. The_Prepared
  12. Motomom34