What should we teach the children?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Zimmy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

As the preferred means of transportation, I think one would do well to learn all they can about automotive maintenance and mechanics/repairs.

Zimmy likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Modern manufacturing is seeing to that personal automotive maintenance is out of the question..
    Dealers for years resented the fact people could do work on their own cars, and pressured the manufacturers to make it more difficult , with the advent of computerization in the mix, it pretty much killed the private repair shops . now you can get robed by the factory professional . Modern manufacturing practices were getting frustrating back in the 70s and it hasn't gotten any better.
    In the shops I've worked in ,one of the more valuable players is the guy that understands electronics, not just a parts swapper , those are not impressive , but those that actually know what they are doing and how to trace circuits and find the cause and know how to fix it . I've worked with men that did not know how to rebuild a starter much less an alternator or carb, that's pretty sad. all these guys knew how to do is swap parts . Now that might be fast as a shop out put , but if the vehicle keeps coming back with related problems it makes their work unreliable.
    Even more frustrating is shops that don't bother to attach all the stuff they took off to get to the problem like shielding. . It's there for a reason. I teach people that are willing to learn about working on their stuff ,is that if your giving the job to some one else , know what it is they are doing and inspect it to see if your paint on the pertinent bolts is broken . If you don't know what needs to be done you giving them all the liberty to rob you.

GrayGhost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. GuitarPlayer

GuitarPlayer Monkey

I'd say the first thing to teach them is how to think...

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If they haven’t got that (To Think) down by age 12, you have missed the boat....

GrayGhost, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'd say 6-8. Same with attentiveness and courtesy.

GrayGhost likes this.
  6. GuitarPlayer

GuitarPlayer Monkey

I don't know if this is sarcasm or for reals:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. I'm glad she told me there are that many languages in use around the world. She obviously has never been to Maine. or Mississippi or socal. Accents.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

I just scanned through so maybe I missed it but cooking.
    And non of your “mixes” and “microwave” crap
    Real cooking from scratch, how to follow a recipe, how to do the basics without instructions and cooking on difrent sources (bbq, campfire, campstove etc)

I can not belive how many people nowadays can not even cook basic fare, and im talking people my age, even worse the younger generations, there could be a fridge full of food and half the people in this country would starve if the power went out and they couldent use the microwaveo_O

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  9. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson Black Powder Monkey

Very cool thread...some excellent thoughts here.
    Empathy would be a good "skill" to teach.
    One thing to keep in mind...
    I have found that in my classroom ( I teach at a High School Special Needs Class ) ...As a general rule...my students are excellent observers of just what we as adults "teach" them either directly or by our actions...which may or may not be the same as we want them to learn.
    Andy

GrayGhost, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Zimmy

If we haven't taught our children empathy by now we have lost as a civilization. We should be fighting with our descendants over the importance of isolationism while we break their' optimistic hearts forever with realism. If they grow up thinking we are monsters.......at least they grow up.

St. Peter and St. Michael can judge us afterwards with hindsight.

GrayGhost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I agree. Lead/teach by example. Kids are sponges, they absorb everything. I recall the look on my sons face when I admitted I screwed up and made a mistake. He looked shocked. It is important for kids to learn how to admit a screw up, no excuses just owning up to mistakes. .

GrayGhost and AndyinEverson like this.
  12. AndyinEverson

So very true...
    In my class , I won't lie either....not that I always tell the whole unvarnished truth...you do need to "remember your audience" , so to speak...but if I don't want my students to lie...yet I am caught in a lie ...what good is that...?

I teach in a Life Skills Class...I can have students from the age of 12 - 21.
    The kids know of my military service....
    Some know of what units or which places in world that I have seen combat in...
    Others only know that I jumped out of Airplanes and helicopters and "checked things out that were on a map."
    Which is indeed part of what someone who was ;
    Airborne
    Ranger
    And part of a L.R.R.P / L.R.S.D unit does.....just not the full unvarnished story..
    Andy.

Motomom34 and Zimmy like this.
  13. Zimmy

Airborne. I'll give a heartfelt HOOAH for that.

2-C-3/325 ABCT (Vicenza) here

Motomom34 and AndyinEverson like this.
  14. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

^^^^ This.

Lead by example.

Motomom34 and AndyinEverson like this.
  15. AndyinEverson

Nice to see a fellow 'trooper here....:D

Started in 1/9 Infantry 7th Infantry Division...then at various times...
    18th Airborne Corps and Special Operations Command...My last duty station was with the 101st Airborne (Air Assault ).
    Andy

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Thunder5Ranch
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Ganado
  5. AxesAreBetter
  6. john316
  7. DKR
  8. Motomom34
  9. wideym