What would you think of bringing an umbrella to the woods?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Oct 17, 2020.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I know it doesn't sound bushcrafty or even manly however umbrellas have their uses.
    When the sun is blazing and you've got some where you got to get having a shield is a godsend.
    Rain storms without too much wind are nicer under something especially if it turns too hail.
    While hunting it can hide your shape and camouflage your presents.
    It can add to your tent, or other sleeping arrangement.
    It can be used as a walking stick (if long enough)
    Some umbrella are actually a defensive weapon.
    How else might tone be put to practical use in the woods?

Motomom34, SB21, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Does my EDC golf umbrella count?

Cause here it rains and it also 'mists, which is a much bigger PITA. Umbrellas rule, except in heavy brush.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  3. DKR

it is a thing for some folks

DuxDawg, arleigh, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Actually it sounds kind of dumb but I see the potential.
    It's portable instant shelter that weighs like 2lb.
    Main weakness: wind.

SB21 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ive never found a decent umbrella that the wind doesnt kill

DuxDawg, SB21 and Gafarmboy like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Catch water if you run out while waiting for the rain to stop.

SB21, 3cyl, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

A Good Tarp would be far more handy to have, and would take up less space in your gear!

DuxDawg, SB21, Lancer and 4 others like this.
  8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Ever been hit by a falling pinecone? It hurts like hell! The same goes for walnuts! I'll have to consider taking a umbrella on outings for all of the reasons mentioned.

SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

I always keep a good sturdy umbrella in my truck, and I have, on a few occasions, brought it along on a day hike when it looked like it might rain but the trip wasn't enough to justify setting up a tarp. Don't get me wrong, a tarp shelter is great, but often I will do a few miles out, camp fire for some lunch and then a few miles back, not really the kind of trip to spend time to fly a tarp. Just a little something to keep the drizzle off your head while you eat is nice, but I don't use it while walking, just use my poncho (the trails can get thick around here and an umbrella would be unwieldy).

My final takeaway.... If it works for you, then rock it! Don't let anyone tell you what is or isn't Bushcraft, I hate that (and try to not do it myself) If it is useful to you and give you value in the woods then do it.

-JediWoodsman

SB21, 3cyl and Gafarmboy like this.
  10. DKR

[​IMG]

in use for an idea of real size
    [​IMG]
    umbrella as pop-up shelter. I can see this for shade, having baked my azz off at Lake Meade many a day....

BTW - what the difference between a sailboat on lake Meade and a frying pan?

With the fry pan, someone with a spatula turns over what's cooking...

DuxDawg, SB21, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  11. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I just had to laugh. I've been a secret umbrellaista for years.

An umbrella can shield a fire lay from wind and rain long enough to get it lit. And keep you from getting totally soaked in the process.

You also use less water hiking in the sun if you're hiking in 100% shade, 100% of the time.

It's an instant water collector with enough surface area to be very useful.

It can also be a good wind/snow door in a primitive shelter.

Placed behind you, it's a good heat reflector.

It can be a good portable windbreak in snow country, allowing you to conserve heat.

Properly colored, it can be a signal or a piece of camouflage--or both.

Umbrellas pack super-small, are extremely inexpensive, and very light. What's not to like?

You can even fish with them.

In fact, I once stopped an African lion from charging, using nothing bu my trusty anti-lion umbrella.

I poked him in the tush, and when he roared he dropped his credit card.

That's the the thing about African lions, is what. They got no wallets.

DuxDawg, Motomom34, arleigh and 3 others like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've used them for wind, rain, and sun protection while hiking. I picked up the habit from backpacking in the Himalaya when I was much younger. Used the lightest, cheapest, smallest folded up I could find.

arleigh likes this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

OMG, a tactical movement to contact, would never be the same with umbrella in hand......LOL. [sinking]
    Sounds good for a Sunday walk, but in a survival sense....anything an umbrella can do, as mentioned above, a tarp or poncho would do just as well.

3M-TA3, chelloveck and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm Born and Raised OryGunion, we laugh at Umbrellas here! You can always tell the "Foreigners" by the fact they are carrying one!
    We get sideways rain, so an umbrella had better be tough or it simply won't last here! If you have never been to the quaint little city of Astoria, it's the wettest place on the whole frickin planet, if it ain't raining, it is getting ready to, and the winds can blow in something fierce and lift you right off the ground! Better to wear good rubbers and mucks!

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I still love my Army gortex rain parka..... use it to this day.
    Never was one to wear the lowers.....always made to much noise in the night to be of much benefit, while trying to be quite.
    Guess old habits die hard......
    ECWCS Level 5 Gore-Tex® Parka

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Now if they made one that stowed in a 1” PVC Pipe 5’ long, with a rubber end on the dirt end, that doubles as. walking stick, and the covering was 3mm Silvered Mylar, I would by one...

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  17. Gafarmboy

Gafarmboy Monkey+++

When someone ask me about personal gear, I always ask " Does it work for you?". If it does, screw what anyone says or thinks. I am old an have tried newer gear, but always go back to my custom built, by me, Alice gear and poncho setup. It works for me and has proven itself over the years. So, if you want to use an umbrella and it's a functional piece of kit, more power to you.

Elessar, oldawg, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

while i agree, if it works dont fix it. There is merit to having new ideas and new ways to use things we have never thought of before. This is a great thread for innovation. It would never have occured to me to take an umbrella because I dont find them useful. Now i will rethink this strategy.

Now if i could find one that the wind didnt kill

Gator 45/70, chelloveck and BTPost like this.
  19. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

its even worse here in Scotland...(really, I lived in Oregon for 10 years) 60mph sidways sleet is “a bit wet out”.... Umbrellas don't have a chance.. we can tell when the Americans are over on holidays... we see dead wee “brolly” carcasses blowing down the road

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Good sense tells you not to put a sail in the wind unless you plan on flying.
    However, though I had never done it I thought it practical in certain conditions I've been in where having an instant shield might be useful, and there are umbrella that are defensive weapons made for the abuse of protection so why not employ that tool in the out doors. These however run about $100.+

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7