What would you think of bringing an umbrella to the woods?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by arleigh, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Years ago, I was on vacation in Ireland and Scotland, while we were in Ireland it rained (snowed too). We Americans were equipped with rain gear and umbrellas, but the Irish just walked about soaking wet. There were a few theories about this #1 They were use to it, #2 They didn't have enough sense to get in out of the rain, and #3 They were afraid that they would be mistaken for English. All have their merits, so take your pick.:LOL:

Gator 45/70, arleigh and snake6264 like this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

1. yes
    2. If we ran inside every time it rained here wed never get out of the house some months (possibly years)
    3. A valid concern
    4. Why spend good money on rain gear when your skins 100% waterproof?

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

They make saws for that ----

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

They make umbrellas of all sizes and some are tall enough to use as a staff, and it is simple enough to make a sleeve or wrap the umbrella tight enough so that it is a firm surface till it's needed.
    I like walking with a staff, and the fact that the umbrella has a steel point is a plus as well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

A decent rain jacket makes more sense to me. I have a nice one and I've used it ten times in twenty years. It just doesn't rain here much.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Thanks all for your input.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

As interesting as camouflage umbrellas are, and as appealing Gucci gear as they may seem to be, there are 4 things that guide whether I tote stuff through the boondocks

1. Does it have multiple purposes / uses that can't be better met by other equipment.
    2. Does it meet a vital need that can't be met by something else better.
    3. Is it robust, and can it be repaired easily.
    4. Will it add weight and bulk to my LBE that can't be justified by other more important equipment / more compact and or lighter options.

I admit that the 'tactical' umbrella is an interesting novelty idea, but in my view it joins the tactical wheelbarrow as an idea that is of very limited utility in boondock trekking.

I couldn't justify carrying an umbrella as an improvised defensive weapon out in the bush, when other more effective implements come readily to mind, such as a staff, tomahawk, machete or kukri. A staff with an umbrella attachment would seem to detract from the staff being a useful weapon.

That said...I believe that an umbrella is the weapon of choice when hunting fainting goats. ;)

Note: No umbrellas were harmed in this video!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    oldawg, Mountainman, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I would like one in Realtree camo please !

chelloveck likes this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

chelloveck, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Didn't once upon a time a Ruskie deliver a dose of poison via an umbrella tip?

techsar and Ganado like this.
  13. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

It was either that or a cane.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Some of the guys in my camping group went over this subject a few years back. It's FL. It's summer. It's 90 degrees. It's 99% humidity. Put some plastic coat around you and you might as well not have even tried. Yes. Several of us (older) have taken to umbrellas. Or we just wear synthetic clothing (Like that fishing clothing Columbia and others make) when we camp and get wet.

Winter's different. Kinda NW coast wet and cold as the fronts cycle through. Then we wear heavier synth and try to stay dry.

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. STGThndr

STGThndr Monkey+

Hmmm.... I don't need an umbrella since I am not British... a slicker or a poncho does the trick, and a poncho can serve as a needs-must shelter as well..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7