What's Even More Important Than Water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by 3M-TA3, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

I have a case of Twinkies I can send for a side dish. At least 10 years old.

Ganado, Sgt Nambu, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Food or otherwise, they will keep your bellybutton and backbone from colliding.

sec_monkey, GrayGhost and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Jerky? check. Cheese wiz? check. Pretzels? check. Water? always! Beans n rice/1:5 ratio? Mucho Kilos! Home canned Meat/Fish/Poultry? Lots of qts and pts ............. poptarts? NADA! Beer? Nada, but lots and lots of wine. Shelter from the storm and relative security? Yup .... Happy Camper? YUP! most of the time anyways

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Pop tarts...Pop Tarts, Healthy Breakfast of Boy Scouts.

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

6. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

The blueberry frosted ones are better.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

3M-TA3 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Years ago,. I flew in to the Tin City RADAR site. Weathered in, a bunch of us went to the local Tin City trading post. The owner always had ivory for sale. Got it from the Natives who traded for bullets etc.

Two things about that visit have stayed with me for these last 35+ years....
    The guy had a Stevens (Savage) 300 sitting on the rack for sale. (No, I took a pass)

and a rack full of Hostess Fruit Pies - the 'newest' was almost 15 years old. I couldn't help myself - I gave the guy $5 for one and cracked it open. Other than being a bit dry, it was perfectly reserved, I tasted a bit and it was still lemon favored.

I dumped the rest of 'pastery' at the edge of the runway. Even the foxes wouldn't touch it....

Sugar is a powerful preservative....

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I sampled some Vietnam era MRE's in 1992, they were still perfectly fine, zero taste and salty as hell!
    The next gen MRE's from the 70's were quite an improvement in quality and taste, still backed you up and made your innards hurt!
    The Third gen MRE's tasted even better, supposedly had low salt, and tasted like the stuff in the mess hall, still backed you up, but didn't hurt so much.
    Last gen MRE's were KRAPTASTIC! Almost no meat, all veggies, and sauces with rice or noodles, and all the goodies we used to look for were gone. Hell, there wasn't any thing worth hording to trade for later, and worse, they still backed you up and hurt like hell, and when they finally let you go, it was BAD! Took a week to recover from one week of those damn MRE's!
    Salt preserves every thing, and causes all sorts of troubles later on!
    Best thing is to make your own MRE's! in my mind, Pemmican, smoke cured meats and fish in a very light vinegar and honey based brine will be the best thing you can do. You can also preserve other things this way, but canned is better for a healthy life style!
    I always have a satchel full of Jerky and Pepperoni ( usually Venison and smoke cured salmon ) in my possibles bag, and I never let it drop below half ( about 3 pounds, 6 days worth) and I am happy as a puppy with two tennis balls!

3M-TA3, arleigh, Dont and 6 others like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

That reminds me that I have no 'Sailor Boy pilot bread' or Pilot Crackers (I think they are the same thing?). I meant to get a case of #10 but forgot last time. I suppose if one wants a sugar buzz that Pop Tarts would definitely do the trick but...I'll stick to Pilot Crackers.

3M-TA3, sec_monkey, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  11. ghrit

Pilot bread is nothing more than hard tack which is a cracker, same as "bread." Sailor Boy is a brand name, not a variety of tooth busters. Our best source is JCRefuge, but Amazon has 'em too.

Among a lot of archaic terms, how it came to be called "pilot bread" I may not live long enough to discover.

3M-TA3, sec_monkey, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Experiment: We set a pack of Twinkies atop the fridge for four years! Tasted fine, moist, sweet.......we didn’t swallow though!

13. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Here you go...
    I have a recipe if you're really curious.
    SitNews: Long Lasting Pilot Bread Has a Long History By DAVE KIFFER

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

OK, Never heard of "Pilot Bread" but Hard Tack, I know well! My Family has a version of this made with Rye Flower and white wheat, ground coarse. it's a side recipe of our classic Ukrainian black bread, and made with most of the ingredients. it can also have coffee grounds very finely ground, and or chocolate powder! I highly recommend trying it, you'll like it! Most of us rely on it for long lasting energy, and it lasts long, especially when stored in cheese cloth! There are many different versions on line you can try, look for versions that use Molasses and dark rye as main ingredients! to increase shelf life, add 2 table spoons of dark, unfiltered, un renderd honey!!!

oldawg, arleigh and sec_monkey like this.
  15. ghrit

Well aware of hardtack and the like by all sorts of names and uses. Still no idea why "pilot"

Since hardtack devolved into what we know now as saltines, comes this:
    One trip we took was supposed to last three days, consequently ship's stores were not topped off. Without going into great detail, we got home three weeks later than planned. There are a couple stories came out of that trip, good for telling tales someday. The point related to saltines is that just before we set the maneuvering watch, the rat and I were sitting in the crew's mess with the last box of saltines from dry stores. Rapping them on the table to knock the weevils out was almost fun. My oath we were hungry!! Freeze box, chill box, everything cleaned and dried out. Cooks and mess cooks were well rested, had nothing to do for a day and a half.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    chelloveck, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sailer Boy Pilot Bread is a staple in Alaska... It is one of the items we stock a lot of in our store...

arleigh, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  17. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Off subject - but...
    @Sgt Nambu
    Your avatar gives me an itchy trigger finger.
    Miss the days when I used to blast those little rodents to kingdom come.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

First of all alcohol as a guarded acquaintance is one thing, but it is a false friend that will betray you .
    Second , caned food stores best, usually has it's own water, needs no second cooking an provides you it' own dish and tool if necessary. "It's lid"
    Unlike the plastic bags MREs are stored in, are easily compromised.
    A steel or aluminum can is far more durable .
    One way or another your carrying the food weight , and empty cans can be buried or used for the things.like alarms in trip wire/string, boiling water . Can't do that with an MRE bag.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Hardtacks of all varieties were commonly used for sea voyages since it is inexpensive and keeps a long time. So it's likely named for that type of pilot as opposed to folks who fly aircraft, though in AK its likely all the same.

I like the rye based varieties the best, perhaps due to my Norwegian blood. Sure miss Ry-Krisp, especially the seasoned version. IMO it was the best. They are trying for a come back, but the date keeps getting pushed back.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. ghrit

"Pilot" I am certain predates aircraft in this use. As you say, ships did/do employ pilots to keep off rocks and shoals. That does not answer the question, but ---

I did NOT know that Ry-Krisp wasn't available, will look next trip to the groc shoppe.

Ura-Ki likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7