What's in your get home bag?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by jab73180, Aug 14, 2013.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Something like this would fit inside a small Faraday Cage, pretty easily.:cool:Embrio One-Wheel Concept

Uno motorcycle reconfigures itself on the fly

and here is a wide range of small powered skateboards Gizmag Search

Airtime likes this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I may be wrong but I try to not confuse a GHB with a BOB. I think being light and agile in order to cover more ground quickly is a big deal, at least for me. Cash is important because if needed I can hit the pawn shop across the road from work for a bicycle that could get me home. Roll of quarters in glove box for vending machines if needed.

Water... I have purification tabs but have a First Need filter system. Weighs less than a pound and takes the space of maybe 2 beer cans. I like these because most water near any significant population areas in addition to bacteria and viruses will have toxic chemical contamination. Boiling, tablets and many small filters do not have activated charcoal and will do nothing to remove the chemicals. The First Need does.

A simple food item that I keep because it has good shelf/car life, packs about 2600 calories in protein, fats and carbs into a size just a bit fatter than a pop can and costs less than four bucks is a small 16 oz jar of peanut butter. Not nutritionally complete but pretty good for a couple days trying to get home. You can also get it in squeeze tubes or blended with chocolate. Add some breakfast or granola bars and one can get by for 2-3 days pretty easy. Just an idea...

AT

JABECmfg, Pax Mentis, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  3. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

I drive 30 miles to work, but straight line is only 19. Have to cross 2 rivers. If I go cross country-straight line, I have to walk across an active artillery impact area. My bag probably has more than I need. 5.11 Covrt 18 bag, paracord, KBar, leatherman, lighters, magnifying glass, GPS, notepad, pens, sharpie, plastic bags, headlamp, flashlight, compass, maps of the local area and the state, minor medical kit with bandaids and meds, compressed gauze, 2 cravats, 2 Combat Gauze, CAT, wire ladder splint, titanium spork, trioxane tabs, canteen with canteen cup, lifestraw, airplane alcohol bottle of bleach, Nalgene bottle, hotel bar of soap, microfiber towel, toilet paper, socks, watchcap, packable rain jacket, poncho, poncho liner, knot instruction card, goal Zero Guide 10 plus solar charger with batteries, trail mix, field stripped MRE, work gloves, 2 carabiners. No firearms because work has a serious (federal) no firearms policy. EDIT: Also duct tape, waterproof matches. Will add a poncho liner in a compression sack in a month when it gets colder.

4. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I think the key phrase here is the one to which I added my own emphasis...

We all have different needs (not to mention preferences) that guide our choices. For me, a 25-30 mile trip cross-country could easily be a week's journey if I can't use the river...15-20 years ago it would have been an extended day.

For some of us, "cover more ground quickly..." is a fond memory replaced by priorities of staying alive and moving as one can.

5. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I worry for you if you are unable to get home quickly if SHTF. There are multiple problems and why I think getting home quickly is very important:
    - My family will worry. Worst case is they try venturing out searching. Alternate comms can be vital here but if out of range this situation is bad long term.
    - There is safety in numbers. You need to get home for everyone's safety.
    - When things crash, several days or a week in will certainly be more dangerous than the first day or two as people run out of things.
    - Your preps at home become more and more vulnerable. You need your preps and they need you to keep them secure.

Maybe something like this could change the equation for some:
    Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE PLANES AIRPLANES RV RECREATIONAL VEHICLE

AT

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Though I agree in general that you want to get home as soon as possible..... I would also suggest the following:
    Have your family aware of your preparation's especially related to food, water and any BO/link up contingencies'.
    Educate the family on how to use your various resource's from weapons, power, heat, water purification and so on.
    Teach them how to tactically defend the AO in your absence.
    Teach them how to communicate and establish a procedure/time frame for checking in on you till you are in range.
    Explain what time frames you expect to be home by (duration on the long end for RTH) and if you do not meet that time frame, what is the rally point if BO is necessary... and if beyond without you, what is the route to friendlies, BOL and so on.

I have heard so many times where it is one or the other that is IN, and the other is either oblivious or complacent to what you have planned. Get them in gear, on board, and understanding of the plan. If you have to make a manual per se, do it...
    YD

Pax Mentis, kellory and tulianr like this.
  7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I used to travel over 800 miles one way to work on the TexMex border. I did this twice a month. I had a 4x4 pickup, with an axillary fuel tank that I could get home without having to stop for fuel. I had an extensive truck kit that had every conceivable item I thought I might ever need in an emergency situation. Tire repair kit, extra parts, radiation detector. A small tent etc. But I also believed in a staged approach. If I couldn't use my truck o had to abandon it, or the roads were jammed, an EMP etc. I had another smaller BOB that I could grab and go with. It had a lot of survival items in it but not as heavy and burdensome as the one in the truck. One thing I carried was a set of cargo pants. I had several of those plastic soap dishes that you get at Wal-Mart. The ones for traveling with a lid. They work great to hold a lot of small items. I had one for first aid, one for fishing, trapping, snaring, one for fire building etc. I would put these in the pockets of my cargo pants. Then if I had to abandon or somehow lost the BOB I still had on my person all the things that I could carry that would give me a better chance of making it home.
    Just some thoughts. A well stocked BOB is great but don't put all your eggs in one basket. You may not be able to get to it or you may have to abandon it. Always have back-up plans for your back-up plans. IMHO.

8. kellory

Nice theory, but impossible for me. As long as my wife is there, she will argue everything. She does not hunt, doesn't like guns, and tolerates my hunting. She wants the meat, but doesn't want to know where it comes from. She threw a fit, when I introduced my son to hunting, bought his tags, took him to the hunter safety course. I had to make it very clear it was not her choice, but mine and my son's choice. Knowing she opposes his choice has taken some of the joy from our sport.
    Whatever happens, it will fall to me. I can count on some help from my son, my daughter? Well, she would rather run the car off the road, than hit a raccoon. I not sure she could /would pull a trigger until it was too late to matter much.
    I get too much interference to teach them at a range, and too little money for private instruction.
    The wife will be a liability, due to attitude and medical problems, but it is just one of those things that can not be helped.
    Women, can't live with 'em, can't bury 'em in the yard.;)

STANGF150 and tulianr like this.
  9. kellory

I work all over the state. I drive 2-5 hours each day. There is no telling where I will be, if everything comes apart. And I am limited as to what I can get away with stashing on a company truck.

10. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Well...after 25 years of putting together a system that will protect my family even if I am taken out of the equation on day 1, I am probably a bit less worried about being there to oversee than most...although the week is very much a "worst case" scenario (well...second to worst). To start with, being unable to use the river is pretty unlikely...and once I get on it, I am home (or, at least, to my son's) that day.

tulianr likes this.
  11. jab73180

jab73180 Monkey

I added a survival saw and a mirror to my kit. I will probably throw my kabar in it too. With that stuff and more food it should be good.

-Jason

12. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i found myself keeping what i may
    need in my truck depending on were im at in the country with a bag with evrything i will need no matter what in there at all times

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Motomom34
  6. Tully Mars
  7. Motomom34
  8. GOG
  9. phorisc
  10. DarkLight
  11. Yard Dart
  12. Imasham