What's on your feet?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sci, Nov 29, 2006.

1. sci

sci Monkey+++

If SHTF and you're bugging out, what's on your feet? Combat boots? Hiking boots? Nothing?

I'm just trying to find out what most people recommend for footwear, and whether or not to rely on one pair of good boots or bring two (one for cold whether, one for temperate conditions).

2. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

When buggin' out, I'll most likely be wearing a pair of the new combat boots that are as close to hiking boots as possible. Definitely will not be wearing my old combat boots. Those things kill even veteran feet. :D

3. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well it would be what ever I had on when the need arose, but hopefuly the work boots I wear most of the time and not dress shoes. I figure the most important thing is that they are well broken in and comfortable. Insulated boots still do ok in the heat, or at least I wear them a lot year round and do fine, and non-insulated boots can be made warmer if they have room for heavy socks or a second pair.

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Well broken in comfortable, proven leather hikers, (GI "combat boots"are made by the lowest bidder, though the suede "desert" boots are supposed to be pretty good. My issued "jungle" boots sucked and always hurt. but I'm sure 20 folks will contradict that with their own experience. Or high top thinsulated hunting boots in the winter (or pac boots, but you don't want to walk too far in pacs.they are great for sitting in a stand.). Blisters can stop you. Have clean dry socks and foot powder accessible too.

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Tango, my current combat boots are the old black, non-jungle boots. I am going to replace them with the desert ones though I will try to find which manufacturer makes the best ones.

Sci, like MM said, even if the boots are not insulated, socks do miracles. Just don't cut off the blood flow to your feet by wearing socks that are too tight or too many layers. You could easily lose a foot that way.

And remember.... spare socks, keep your feet dry, your feet need to breathe and use powder. Alcohol prep pads are lightweight and they clean feet well. Just more thoughts.

6. Infidel

Infidel Guest

Masai Barefoot Technology shoes. (Google) they are pricey. 150 - 200 a pair (i just checked it is around 260 from a US retailer. I would search in other countries first now. I bought in Sweden for 180 and shipping was 20. 6 moths ago) but after getting them as a gift I can not wear much anything else. It took me a bit of time and consideration to buy myself a second pair. Even though with my salary to get a pair for 2 Benjies would seem completely crazy I can vouch for them improving my posture, making it painless to walk for a whole week of 6 hours a day during a trade show and for the craftsmanship (get the leather ones). My first pair is already a year and a half and looks brand new and I wear it day in and day out and second pair that I got is 6 month old and I wear it on special occasions.

For milling in the house and walking around the neighborhood I go barefoot (outside when it is warm, inside always)

Thanks to advice of certain gentleman named Jerry from Green Bay, Wisconsin on the barefoot part.

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Uninsulated, broken in Redwing work boots, ankle high (heavy socks as needed, not often these days.) Also barefoot in house, mocassins out when not in the field. NEVER sneakers, too sweaty stinky.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Outside, I almost always am wearing my old all-leather Rocky combat boots. Side-zip with a leather snap cover at top. Several years old, well worn, and comfortable. Good hiking and motorcycling boots. I also wear wool boot socks with them.

9. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

vasque hiking boots. But i am buggin in so the thought booting it out is minimal.

10. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I find myself Ill prepared in this area, although my bugout destination is only about a 5 minute drive from here.

Until I get a new pair of hunting boots, I guess its New Balance Sneakers.

11. gillman7

gillman7 Monkey+++

Flip Flops!! (Just kiddin' CRC)[fnny]

I am in New Balance athletic shoes normally, but in a bug out situation, I have a pair of insulated Rocky's that are very comfortable, and even in warm months, are not too hot. Mid top, so I still have decent ankle support.

ochit likes this.
  12. JC Refuge

JC Refuge Emergency Essentials Store Vendor

I usually wear mocs around the homestead, and it would take nothing short of a 1000-year flood to get me off this property, so come hell or high water, I'll probably die with soft leather on my feet.

13. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

If I have a choice...I have Danner and Bates boots that I would be happy to put on and walk day in and out. Probably get a pair of desert boots (other than the Altama's that I just can't warm to) this year, probably the Belleville or Bates marine boots. The desert boots are probably better suited to the Aussie conditions although where I hunt and grew up gets bloody cold in Winter (and conversely bloody HOT in summer ;) )

Andy[dunno]

ochit likes this.
  14. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Rockys or Bates. Welcome back Andy.

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Danners
    Yes welcome back Andy

ochit likes this.
  16. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I used to wear lite slip on canvas deck type shoes, (I'm a boat person at heart), but a recant foot injury cause me to invest in steel toed work shoes. I got 'em a size large, put inserts in and wear heavy socks. That's what I'll be wearing until hot weather returns. Then I'll probably go back to sandals or deck shoes except when working around farm equipment.

17. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Thanks guys......Quig...I was meaning to stop at the Danner factory outlet there near PDX but we forgot about it till just after we returned the rental car...that is a great source for boots at a reasonable price.

Andy[banghead]

18. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Not always, Andy. They won't outsell the retailers, otherwise no one would sell for them around the area. It's a great stop for seconds and such, but a good sale at any local dealer beats the factory for their firsts, hands down.

19. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Two very painful in-grown toenails and a pair of Lucchese cowboy boots.

20. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wear either Redwing lace up boots or Rockys every day. I have a semi new pair sitting with the Bob. I've worn em enuf to break them in just not enuf to get them trashed. The only thing thats worse than not bringing good clean new socks for the walking is nice clean new boots that you get to break in when you can least afford the pain and discomfort.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

1. RouteClearance
  2. HK_User
  3. RJB
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. BenP
  6. Hanzo
  7. OldDude49
  8. Motomom34
  9. Hanzo
  10. thewildyam
  11. BlueDuck