What's on your feet?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sci, Nov 29, 2006.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Sideways hijerking of a thread ahead....

On my feet, I have.... dun dun dun.... skin. [LMAO]

I still haven't gotten the name of the boots that I am looking for so I still have stinky tenni shoes and wear your feet out combat boots. I'm looking at handloaders bench for recommends and a couple military sites. When I find them I will let all yall know.

2. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

.....yeah I should have been clearer Tracy....the SECONDS are a good deal. As long as it is cosmetic I have no drama with it.

Andy

3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

There used to be a Rocky factory not too far away from me, <50 miles, we'd go there to buy shoes sometimes. You really had to try on any pair of shoes you thought you might want, because the stamped in size didn't always apply. The cost though, was about half retail, you just may not find the shoe you wanted in your size, because they were all seconds. So it was WYSIWYG. I eventually quit going, because I could never find the style shoe I wanted in a size I could wear. Now, if I'm looking for a good pair of shoes I usually buy them when visiting PA as there is no sales tax on footwear in PA.

4. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Speaking of shoe sizes, how many already know that you can have different sizes depending on the style of shoe? Dress shoes, running shoes, boots, etc. I didn't know that until I went and bought a pair of Chef's shoes for my work and told them to give me a certain size. They cost $140 which is rediculous, however when I tried them on at home, I found they didn't fit. My tenni shoes are 8 and I got 8s. I found the work shoes were too big. I forgot about socks. Socks affect sizing. Dress socks are thin, regular socks are thick and combat socks are thicker still. So keep in mind that trying on a pair is your best bet. Go in dressed like what you need the shoes for and then you can find the pair to fit you right. In the long run, if you don't take care of your feet, you ain't going nowhere.

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

How many men know that you feet size larger at end of the day. Women know this - it comes in our womanhood manual. Always shop for shoes later in the day to get a fit that will carry you comfortably from morning to night.

6. Wild Trapper

The older I get the larger my feet have gotten. [booze]Before you laugh, a women told me that years ago. She said, as I got older my feet would grow. I went from wearing a 10 as a young adult to the last pair I bought was a 13. That was over a period of 40 years. By that rate I'll be wearing a size 16 by the time I get to be 100.[LMAO]

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know exactly what you mean Wild Trapper. Unfortunately, big feet are not quite as enticing on a woman as they are on a man LOL

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[OT] Wait a minute! There's a manual?!? Sheesh! All these years, I've been wingin' it! :eek:

Definitely buy footwear late in the day (preferably after a meal) and bring different thicknesses of socks with you to try them on. My closet has shoe sizes ranging from 7 1/2 to 9.

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I bought a pair of Converse tactical boots when I was at Ft. Benning, and they are very comfortable. They come in desert sand color, and have the side zip. My CO has'nt seen them yet, but I still wear them. They have held up fine in a training environment, yet I imagine that, just like the Oakleys they will fall to pieces in combat.You can check them out at Ranger Joes online, and they run only about a Franklin.

10. Bogie

Bogie Monkey+++

I have 4 pairs of the Converse Sidezips W/Saftey toe's. @ of each in Black & Tan for ware and a second of each pai kep clean for nicer ware. There verry cormfotable from the start & break in quite nicely.

11. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

What Tracy said about buying retail. Danner sells Factory seconds for a decent price usually they have cosmetic blemishes and are fine however there isn't any warranty, no guarantee/refund if the Goretex isn't watertight. Every 2-3 years I'd buy a new pair of uninsulated RainForest but switched to Georgia Boot last time I bought a pair to check them out. The performance and longevity of the boots wasn't much different then Danner, I got 2 years out of these and need to replace them. Georgia sells Goretex lined boots same style as the RainForest but were $80 less. Georgia's warranty is 6 months just like Danner on the Goretex.

12. Wild Trapper

Georgia work shoes

Colt C, I got to thinking after reading your post about what work shoes or boots I have and what has lasted the longest. I have 3 pair of Georgia boots (work boots). One pair is slip on and I've had them probably 10-12 years. Granted, I do not wear them everyday, day in and day out. If I'm going to be working out in wet dirty rough work, I have worn them until the leather is about to start showing holes. In fact, there is a hole on upper of one where I spilled boiler chemical on it. I don't know how many times I've gotten them water logged. They look terrible, but they have not as yet came unglued. These new steel toed shoes I bought after breaking my toe are Georgia boots. Georgia boots are the work horse of the farmer and construction worker. I've had other brands of work boots, but none out lasted these for the price. As for hiking, they probably make good hiking shoes too, I just have never owned them. Maybe I'll look for a pair next time I look for shoes.

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As far as work boots in a wet environment, you cannot beat a pair of Georgia Boots "Muddogs."

14. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

I stick with combat boots...I bought three pairs from Bradley's Surplus for about $12 each ,looked like new,in fact one pair had never been laced up.
    I also have one good pair of jungle boots....Four pairs of combat boots should last me awhile.

15. sci

sci Monkey+++

I just got some new beat-a-round boots; some Wolverine Tremors. No Goretex... I'd rather just have a simple, comfortable boot I can beat to hell. So far they've been pretty comfortable (doesn't seem like the break-in time will take long at all).

16. Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger Patriotic Pirate

I love my Merrell Ventilators for anything but snow. In the summer, you can feel the breeze on your feet, due to the awesome breathability. I wear them every day, and I work construction. They have held up for over a year, including a good bit of abuse on hot roofs, last summer. They held up to treatment that kills a pair of sneakers in two days flat.

If it's snowy, or really wet, to where my feet will never get a chance to dry out with the Merrells, I go for the Hanwags. Awesome boots. Nothing more to say about them than that.

17. andrew414

andrew414 Howdy.

18. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Hehe. First pair of Lucchese' lasted me 10 years. Tegu lizard. I think I had them resoled and heeled 8 times and then the stitch holes fell apart. Actually, they fell apart in the airport on my way to the NE TX AK build at E.L.s. First stop that next day was a Lucchese dealer. I still wear the 2 yr old Ostrich daily. Not cheap, but the best.

Bought my wife a pair 6 yrs ago and they still function fine for her. I'm really hard on boots so I replace yearly. I blew out my Zephyr GTXs and was happy to do so as the suspension sucked from the get go and they made my feet hurt after a few miles with a pack on. I picked up another pair of Vasque hikers, (Forget the name, phishi prolly knows) and they are much better with the addition of some $30 Superfeet inserts.

Been looking long and hard at the Lathrop & sons http://www.lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php
    $500ish boot system but for serious backcountry. he he, the Lucchese' cost more than that.

Otherwise, I'm in Birks around the house and for quick runs to the store.

I'll have to check out those Masai Barefoot Technology that infy mentioned. I don't think you have ever afford to not have the best support under your feet. Especially if you feel the need to travel long distances.

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My last couple of pairs of shoes/boots have been Rocky's. I am wearing Rocky's boots right now, and I really like them. I used to wear a lot of ropers, Justins, Tony Lama's, etc. but I cannot wear the thin, hard soled boots anymore, I need the thicker, softer soles now. They are easier on my feet. I need that extra cushion.

<TABLE id=table_product_page border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=divider_right>[​IMG]
    Click Image for Detailed View​

<SCRIPT> document.write(Discount.getProductDiscountText(33840)); </SCRIPT></TD><TD class=divider_right>11" Branson Roper ; Steel toe (0006732)

• Full-length EVA midsole for extra cushioning
    • ANSI approved steel toe/EH
    • Aztec Crazy Horse & bridle brown worn saddle leather
    • Resolable Goodyear welt construction provides stability
    • Ride footbed - dual density polyurethane with heel stabilizer
    • 8-layer Rocky Ride Comfort System
    </TD><TD><FORM id=OrderItemAddForm name=OrderItemAddForm action="" method=post><INPUT type=hidden name=categoryId> <INPUT type=hidden value=10103 name=categoryId1> <INPUT type=hidden value=10111 name=categoryId2> <INPUT type=hidden value=10138 name=categoryId3> <INPUT type=hidden value=10602 name=categoryId4> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_storeId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=10001 name=storeId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_orderId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=. name=orderId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_langId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=-1 name=langId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_catalogId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=10051 name=catalogId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_URL_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden name=URL> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_errorViewName_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=ProductDisplayErrorView name=errorViewName> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_catEntryId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=33840 name=catEntryId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_productId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=33840 name=productId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_calculationUsageId_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=-1 name=calculationUsageId> <INPUT id=WC_CachedProductOnlyDisplay_FormInput_shouldCachePage_In_OrderItemAddForm_1 type=hidden value=false name=shouldCachePage> <!-- The empty gif are put in front of the prices so that the alt text can be read by the IBM Homepage Reader to describe the two prices displayed. These descriptions are necessary for meeting Accessibility requirements -->[​IMG] $157.99

<TABLE id=table_addToCart border=0><!-- Display product attributes !--><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE></FORM>This product is not available for purchase on this site. Please use our dealer locator to find a Rocky location convenient for you.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- Start - JSPF File Name: JSTLEnvironmentSetup.jspf --><!-- End - JSPF File Name: JSTLEnvironmentSetup.jspf --><!-- Start - JSP File Name: MerchandisingAssociationsDisplay.jsp --><TABLE id=table_cross_sell><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End - JSP File Name: MerchandisingAssociationsDisplay.jsp --><SCRIPT> if (Discount.getAreThereAnyDiscounts()) { document.write('

'); document.write('[​IMG] Some restrictions may apply'); document.write(''); } </SCRIPT><!-- End - JSP File Name: CachedProductOnlyDisplay.jsp --><!-- MAIN CONTENT ENDS HERE -->

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Right now, I've got on a pair of furry sasquatch house-slippers; I was wearing a set of bunnies but George and the Weinerdog ate them.
    Picture 030.

Brokor likes this.
  1. RouteClearance
  2. HK_User
  3. RJB
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. BenP
  6. Hanzo
  7. OldDude49
  8. Motomom34
  9. Hanzo
  10. thewildyam