What's on your feet?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sci, Nov 29, 2006.

1. the dog

the dog Monkey+++

you guys want to try a nice boot.try a pair of muckboots.i got 3 pairs of the boots and 1 pair of the garden slipper.you never wory about your feet hurting or getting cold.they arre a great boot.you can walk around the creeks trapping and go to the barn for chores and just hose them off.if nike tennis shoe company made a shoe as comfortable as these they woud double their sales.they are super boots.most of the farmers in my area tried a pair and came back for 2nd pair ofr brothers or dads.every person tried them came back for more....that says alot.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. FalconDance

FalconDance Neighborhood Witch

SHTF and it's going to depend on what time of year and where I am as to what's on my feet. If it's warm weather and I'm anyplace near home, I'll be barefoot - I'd have to grab my favorite boots if I need leather between me and the road. They're not fancy-shmancy boots like y'all are talking about, but they're comfy and relatively durable. And bet me that my soft-soled mocassins aren't with me, as well.

But right now, cotton socks with 1/4" thick wool socks over them. It's colder than a witch's arse outside, and the woodstove is having a time keeping the house warm (well, the house is warm but the floors are cold and my feet are susceptible to cold anyhow).

3. sci

sci Monkey+++

Granted I live in Ohio and the weather drastically changes every hour, I'd say my Wolverines are holding up fairly well. I've worn them in sixty degree weather without my feet heating up, and I've worn them in sub-zero temperatures without my feet getting cold.

I've been wearing cotton socks for now, but I suppose they will be more comfortable when I can get some wool socks.

The best thing I've done was put in some Dr Scholls memory foam insoles. I've always thought the gel insoles hurt and that regular foam insoles don't last long. These insoles shape to your foot and really cushion every step and I picked them up for about $10.

As far as when SHTF, I think I'll have a pair of boots on my feet when bugging out, and a pair of mukluks or Gore-Tex lined Merrells in my pack.

Are any of you packing an extra pair of footwear in your BOBs?

4. Scavenger Flatbedder

Scavenger Flatbedder Scavenging The Wasteland

I like my brahma farm and ranch boots real well.
    I also wear at times a pair of black Gore-tex Best Defence or desert combat boots.

5. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Rocky's are good. I got some camo combat boots at the army surplus sitting there just waiting. Be sure and get thick 60/40 socks and maybe some gel inserts. Zinc powder will help keep the fungi down. For the campsite, I use those rubber encased slip on camp shoes. And for general walking, Rocky's. You'll want a hygiene kit to take off calouses and trimming nails. Stick on pads to prevent blisters, too.

6. dmen

dmen Monkey+++ Founding Member

Probably the steel toed Redwing work boots that I'm wearing right now. dmen

7. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Hi-Tech magnums. Work great for me, especially at the price.

jim

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Adidas Cloudfoam Sneakers. I just bought a second pair because my old pair is now permanently in my car in case I ever have to walk home. Cloudfoam is another name for memory foam. My feet have never been happier. My old sneakers are a year old and the inside foam is still as good as the day I bought it.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777CX7NQ/?tag=survivalmonke-20

9. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Red Head hikers...inexpensive and they usually last a year under a wide variety of oily conditions. Decent support for working on a concrete floor all day, and (when new) are attractive...for men's footwear.

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Some type of boot, always. I have one pair of dress shoes.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

KIMG2567.
    Depends on the environment. I can work on the beach all day barefoot or in flip-flops most of the year.

Because all my boots have to be modified to fit my damaged feet, I keep several pairs ranging from just broken in to nearing retirement. All my work boots are Redwings.

Extreme cold weather boots are Matterhorn insulated combat boots.
    Not an attractive boot, but warm. I got these big and wear heavy socks.

I putter around the garage in Kmart rubber slip on sandals. Keeps nasty stuff off my feet and weigh almost nothing. They're also very non-slip on wet surfaces.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  12. hot diggity

13. ochit

ochit Monkey+

WOW you can find flipper covers for those :D

Asia-Off-Grid and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. MtMoriah

MtMoriah Monkey

I wear custom made black leather Limmer hiking boots from Intervale NH. My feet about size 9 and ultra wide 9E. These boots are exceedingly well made and rugged and because they are made with feet having been carefully measured the boots fit perfectly right out of the box.

I've used up 2 pairs in 40-years and are on my 3rd after re-soling each pair several times. I worked in the woods for the US Forest Service and a land surveyor and used them every day (except in winter), as well as a tremendous amount of hiking in these mountains.

When the weather is quite cold I can wear a wool insert about 1/4-inch thick that brings the boot temperature comfort to about 20 degrees F and covers about April 1 to November 30.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  15. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

For the past two decades, since living in SEA, it has been bare feet or flip-flops, for me. I have never owned / wore a pair of anything else in this part of the world. Prior to leaving the USA to move abroad, I went barefoot most of the time, only wearing boots / shoes when absolutely necessary.

The only other times I purchased boots, was Blundstones while in Oz, and a pair while looking after a vineyard / farm, for a few months in 2014-15.

Driving barefooted is superior to footwear, allowing you better control.

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You don't need footware to drive donkeys! [ROFL][lolol]

Brokor, Asia-Off-Grid and VisuTrac like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For decades, I wore Richleie Boots... I bought a new pair every six years, and had them resoled ever second year... When the cost per pair went over $300US, it was time to find a replacement... So I looked around and found Stanley Workboots... They were good solid boots and I bought two pair... They lasted another six years , but when I went to replace them, Stanley no longer marketed the boots.. Then i found Danner Boots, liked what I saw and again bought two pair.. Still working on my first pair, and love them.. I suspect these are the last boots, I will have to buy...

18. hot diggity

I spent most of the 1980's and early 1990's overseas, and lots of the places I lived were hot and miserable. Pretty much like where I live now. Sandals were my footwear of choice for lots of that time. I went shopping for new sandals, (flip-flops) recently and found a pair that seemed to fit. Trouble is that they seem to be working extra hard to live up to the flip-flop name. I couldn't sneak up on anybody in these things. They've become my car shoes, so I can enter a store that requires shoes. Otherwise I go barefoot when I can.

I don't remember these things being so noisy, but that was a long time ago. Maybe it's the fit rather than the length that I need to focus on? Any tips on flip-flop selection?

Past my bedtime and I'm worried about stealth flip-flops. No wonder I'm always tired.

19. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

They are cows, Gator, cows! We really gotta get you to a farm.

Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  1. RouteClearance
  2. HK_User
  3. RJB
  4. Andy the Aussie
  5. BenP
  6. Hanzo
  7. OldDude49
  8. Motomom34
  9. Hanzo
  10. thewildyam
  11. BlueDuck