What's your plan for the food in your freezer?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Tacman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Tacman

Tacman "We The People"

Afternoon everyone,

I am trying to get an idea on what everyone's plans are for the chest freezers in the basements and garages. If you are like us these are normally full of meat (game and purchased), veggies, and precooked heat and serve meals.

If you live in an area that will suffer from rolling blackouts, power outages due to weather, or skyrocketing energy costs force you to shut it down, what is the plan for dispensing the food in a fast and efficient manner so as not loose a substantial amount of food stores.

I have a small generator set aside to run mine for a short time while I dry and smoke the meat, dehydrate the veggies and microwave my hotpockets (LOL). But I have a 24 Cubic Foot chest freezer. I am aware that I may be loosing some stores if I don't make it quick.

Any ideas out there?seesaw

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

:DWell,...
    To be honest there is NO food in my freezer...
    You see,.... there's just NO room in the freezer for FOOD!
    It's full of film....
    Yup, FILM!
    Exposed and unexposed from my 35mm's, Hasselbalds, and my 4 x 5's!
    Rolls and rolls and rolls and sheets!
    Hundreds of dollars worth....
    Not sure how it's gonna taste, but I'm not going there!
    Betcha can't guess what I do, now can ya?
    LOL!
    Bill

3. Tacman

Tacman "We The People"

[dunno] I went digital!!

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I figure if we lose power because of the ice storm, I won't have to worry much.

5. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Break out the pressure canner and fire up the stove. Can it all - far too much to eat it!

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

prepare for hijack!

Cool! I Used to shoot alot of 35mm tmax3200 in the service cut my teeth on tri-x and plus-x before that haven't had "fixer fingers" since I got my eos10d years ago...[beer][beer] wanna buy a calumet 4x5/ with a150? 5 holders and a polaroid back? We had canon f-1's and leica m6's(uncle had deep pockets)(Shot an RZ67but never got to handle a 'blad)

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

sorry that was an awfully sefish "me me me!" hijack
    back to "freezers":

quote Tacman
    "Afternoon everyone,

I am trying to get an idea on what everyone's plans are for the chest freezers in the basements and garages. If you are like us these are normally full of meat (game and purchased), veggies, and precooked heat and serve meals.

If you live in an area that will suffer from rolling blackouts, power outages due to weather, or skyrocketing energy costs force you to shut it down, what is the plan for dispensing the food in a fast and efficient manner so as not loose a substantial amount of food stores.

I have a small generator set aside to run mine for a short time while I dry and smoke the meat, dehydrate the veggies and microwave my hotpockets (LOL). But I have a 24 Cubic Foot chest freezer. I am aware that I may be loosing some stores if I don't make it quick.

Any ideas out there?seesaw"

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well it would depend a lot on what the situation was. If the power wnet out now I wouldnt worry in the least since the freezer is in the barn and its about 3 below out tonight and not supposed to hit 32 for a while. If its most likely that the power will be back on (even off and on) in a few days then its no biggy anyhow since as long as you keep it closed it will keep stuff frozen for several days with no power.

Now if its warmer weather and SHTF in a big way so I dont expect to have power again for longer than can keep the stuff frozen, well then we have 4 pressure cookers and several cases of jars, rings and lids and if the propane is empty then we also have the fire pit and lots of wood. So the stuff would either be canned or dried if we werent eating it right then.

The 3 best things you can do to extend the time you have to get something figured out are;
    1- Keep it full, even if its jugs of water, air will warm a lot quicker particularly when freezer is opened than other frozen stuff

2-keep it closed, if you dont open it the cold air stays in and warm air out a LOT longer than if your in it every hour or so, so if you arent preserving it or needing it right then try to stay out of it while the lights are out

3- insulate it more, the body of the freezer is basicly just a big ice chest and just like an ice chest, the better its insulated the longer it keeps stuff frozen. So hot glue styrofoam insulation board to it on the areas OTHER THAN where the compressorand coils and such is, cover it in blankets and cardboard or what ever. The better insulated it is the longer it will keep stuff frozen after the lights go out.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7