When is society gone

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by monkeyman, Aug 30, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was just curious to hear some of you alls thoughts, what are the signs that would tell you that the fecal mater has contacted the oscelateing wind mowement machine? What would tell you that it was time to BO/BI and that the rules had changed?
    I wonder since the crisies I see as most likely would be progresive. In other words that it would not be one big event like say a nuke attack across the country but rather at most sudden like 9/11 where we heard the planes were hijacked befor they impacted and had a bit of time between hits but even after all of them hit, how many actualy put thier emergency plans in action and bugged out or in as the case may be. More what I see likely in the future would be say the flue pandemic that looms or an epinomic colapse likely due to gas prices going to high for things to be shipped or to high for folks to make a profit by going to work. None of these things would happen in a moment, a day or likely even a week. If you implement emergency plans to soon and it isnt needed then you create a lot of problems for your self, wait to long and you may be stuck in a real bad spot to be, so at what point would you act and what actions would you take?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

That, my friend, is the million dollar question.

BO too soon and you may lose your job if the storms don't hit... wait too long and you may find yourself trapped in traffic after the suitcase nuke goes off.

I like to hedge all my bets. I play both sides at every opportunity. Live rurally in a way that I can sustain myself for a few weeks while having a long term retreat that I can still get to. On foot if need be.

All 3 situations suck. BO too soon, BO too late, and of course the SHTF itself

All we can do is prepare for the worst while hoping for the best. I don't have an answer for you. It's a little like being a linebacker on a Football team. You need to be reading the play unfold and reacting one step ahead of the problem/opponent or you'll get beat

3. monkeyman

Thats kind of why I am wondering what point folks figure they would call it time. Go to soon and you may be headed out each time the 5 oclock news comes on, untill you lose what you have. Wait untill all the sheeple start to stampeed and you get stuck with the herd. So is it when looting starts, or when there is a surge in crime, when you hear the news that predicts the problem (oil rigs screwed so you know gas will jump more, thy to fill up before they jump), do you wait for martial law, do you wait for FEMA to come in? What are some of the signs that you figure would say 'it's time'?
    Then comes the (IMO) even harder question, when do the rules change? Hopefuly you get out of any urban areas and in at least a reasonably secure location before things collapse in on themselves but once things fall apart to the point that there is no longer any real government or society as we know it then for example at what point force may need to be employed changes, things which have been abandoned are no longer so much unatended private property as salvage, basicly that at a some point if there are useful items that obviously have been left behind it is no longer a question if it will be there when/if the person who left them is able to come back for them but rather if it will be you or someone else who happens along who will get the benifit of them.
    I dont figure there realy is any right anwser, just curious to folks prospectives. For me, I already live rural and dont own any other property to go to so I would be bugging in, I figure if there is national or local to me martial law or any similar measures being taken then I am a bit late at getting home to ride it out, includeing grounding air traffic and such.

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Your hair falling out in clumps?

5. melbo

I'm a pretty prepared guy. I saw the heavy winds coming in tonight, (I lose power if a rabbit farts), and went to check the 2 gennies required to run my house. I had about 3 gallons of gas on hand and almost empty Generator tanks... Why do I do this? Dunno. I scrambled to the local Fuel depot and filled up 30 gallons.

Now diesel, I have around 100 gallons on hand.

wish I would have bought those 1000 gallon tanks last year when I looked intop them

6. monkeyman

That had to of hurt, I know our gas was at $2.50 yesterday and had jumped to $2.78 by this afternoon.

7. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

melbo, it's called too many things on your mind and you can't keep up with it all.

So you tend to forget what you really need to remember...

And that sucks for all of us, because we all tend to do that at one point or another.

8. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would say, being a tourist with the city flooded, no air lines out, no car to rent, and no where to stay.

9. melbo

That would suck.. Maybe you don't speak English also? even worse

10. monkeyman

I figure at that point I break a leg kicking myself in tha azz for waiting WAY to long to get the hell out of Dodge. :shock:

11. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

How about being in a foriegn country?One where most people don't like Americans and you barely speak the language.That's always been my fear.Having SHTF while I'm out of the country.Of course it would have to be a worldwide SHTF.But even if it was confined to the U.S. it might be difficult if not impossible to get back in.I always carry jewelry and cash with me so I can bribe my way onto a boat or plane if need be.

We had a guy in Saudi that was involved in an accident that killed some locals.The gov. took his passport and refused to allow him to leave the country.He wasn't under arrest, but he couldn't leave.He was there for a year and going nuts.We had to bribe a fisherman to smuggle him out at night to Bahrain,an island nation off the Saudi coast,where we could get him a flight home.

Another guy in our co. got kidnapped in Ecudor and taken to Colombia and held for ransom.After months of negotiations the co. informed the kidnappers that if they killed the guy all the companys insurance would have to pay was 150g.So until they got the ransom down below that figure there was nothing to negotiate.So nice to know how much our company appreciates it people.

While I'm on the subject.When the Gulf war broke out we learned that a clause in our insurance stated that no benifits would be paid if you were killed in "an act of war".Naturally we were concerned,are co. assured us they would take care of us.We recieved confirmation of a million dollar life insurance policy taken out by the co. on each one of us.It wasn't until after the war was over that we found out that the benificiary was the company, and they had planned to pay only our normal 150g coverage and pocket the rest.BTW I don't work for that co. anymore.

What was this thread about?I got sidetracked.

12. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

13. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

14. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

OMG.

I also read there that they were to evacuate the damaged Superdome. Where do those refugees go now?

15. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Looks like they're going to the Astrodome..... :eek:

16. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anybody carrying out anything but the basic necessities should be shot on sight.

So MinuteMan, what happened to the worker that got kidnapped?

17. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

They finally paid 50k and got him released.after the family got a lawyer and threatened to sue the company. They held him for a little over a year.
    That was unusual to hold someone that long.The State department says that there is on average 20 westerners at any one time being held for ransom in the region.It's almost an industry down there.

18. melbo

I need some body armor

19. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I was thinking about kidnapping Melbo in trade for one of his .50's. Then again I figured he would just drink all of my alcohol, and Mrs. Melbo would tell me to keep him. Then I would be stuck. With no .50 either.

20. monkeyman

Well, you could alwayse tell her if she didnt send you one of them then you would bring him back. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7