When SHTF, Are You Ready!!!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I didn't know what was going on there

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

If it hadn't of been for that cramped up crap room ,, I wouldn't have figured it out either,,,,, it doesn't seem like a good idea to hook up electricity to a toilet that squirts water,,,,that's just me tho,,,,

Motomom34, Thunder5Ranch and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

The one pictured works like a pop up sprinkler head in reverse. No power. It is all I have used for two years. Well worth the $25 investment in TP savings alone. And, it great for septic system.

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Just contact the toilet paper monkey... @ Catullus

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Heh. Well, had you turned the water on, would it not have been a cold spurt first? (Shuddering at the thought ---)

6. ochit

ochit Monkey+

After reading some of the posts, Remember nematodes on grass it is a bad idea to use anything that grows to wipe your backsides , because that's where all the really bad parasites live or lay eggs. Many plants like poison ive oak sumac nightshade and others grow up with grass your bung hole is the most absorbent part of your body except your intestines.
    Anyone wants to die from cysts from intestinal worms or others that can breach the brain blood barrier go ahead mad cow disease is carried from animal to animal through fecal matter left on ---you guessed it grass. Parasites lay eggs under the grass leaves fleas ticks, leaches and snails get as high as they can on a stalk or blade of greenery and lay eggs or wait for a host to come by so they can hitch hike after they have infested the host many fall off or lay thier eggs and a new generations infests another area like deer ticks they are everywhere deer are found.

7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Use that, swell up and not be able to go for a while. In my high school days was out drinking and ran off into the bushes to take a pee, you can guess what happened. :eek:

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

In the Incheon International Airport Business Class Lounge of Asiana Airlines, they have complete showers and toilets for their business class passengers. The toilets look like something from a captain's chair on a starship, with all the dang controls on it for the "bidet" feature. I liked it so much, I sat there for hours! Err, I mean, a buddy of mine said he enjoyed it very well. (Bottomless top shelf whiskey also helps quite a bit, which makes for a great 12 hours layover - err, from what I also hear. I can't speak from personal experience, naturally.)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    3M-TA3, Altoidfishfins and mysterymet like this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

This thread, especially the parasite info, has inspired me to take yet another trip to Costco.

I have resorted to leaves in the past when on the trail, and it's the reason I don't do communal TP any longer.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

A standard practice in stressful situations is to use a cloth and wash it when finished ..
    I do not throw my underwear away over skid marks, no reason to be queezy over washing one's other clothes including diapers .
    Time to grow up for heavens' sake .
    You have drinking water , bath water, laundry water, and garden water .
    . Developing disciplines over water usage doesn't waste it .
    Post SHTF it is not likely that your going to be using a flush toilet, more likely a camp toilet . a seat and a bucket . and a place/deep hole out back to dump said bucket .
    Though it is not recommended to be using humanure for gardening It does make good methane gas if your willing to learn something .

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Corn cobs two reds and one white

Zimmy likes this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A little bleach will clean and sterilize a lot of personal cloths.

Ganado, Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have quite a lot of TP but I like @SB21's suggestion of phone books. Phone books are much more compact then TP, taking up less space in storage. A half dozen Denver phone books would last well over a year if you use one to two pages per movement.

Tully Mars, 3M-TA3 and SB21 like this.
  14. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

you don't necessarily need to hunt down phone books - plenty of other freebie publications for real estate and used cars - sometimes advertiser newspapers - they pile them up by various biznesses entrees and in their own dispenser boxes - grab a few every time you get a chance ...

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

144 rolls to the box, 10 boxes put away. I'm good.

[​IMG]

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I've heard that before and have yet to visualize it.

I just can't imagine, and I am purty darned old fashioned.

ochit and Ganado like this.
  17. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The cautions against tainted grass are warranted but note that mad cow or the human varient called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is not spread by fecal matter. That disease is caused by a kind of protein called a prion and you only contract the disease by eating meat from an infected animal (usually beef) or having blood transfusions or transplants from an infected donor.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    ochit likes this.
  18. ochit

ochit Monkey+

So how did the cows get it beyond the feed that initially gave it or got it from or rather how did it propagate it among the herd as cattle do not all kept together or are willing to eat from a trough some like to avoid human contact but yet the herds that were effected all were destroyed as well all clothing and equipment either was or could sterilized or destroyed. WHY because some one knew that the area was tainted.

This in no way makes your statement less of good and proper / right but lets face it the major fear of any insect or animal borne disease is that somehow someway it crosses to humans, because we have swine flu bird flu we know that animals congregate and how any virus could jump is beyond scientific understanding they have a guess but until it rages across the human species they haven't got a clue or they would be one jump ahead instead of behind all the time.

We also need to remember that part of the political and medical method is to limit panic I recall the European slaughter of herds also they sterilized the ground and sprayed the fields and there was some mention of how long the fields had to remain fallow and not hold any animals like sheep hogs or hoofed animals. people forget that you cannot stop migrating birds and they carry what they eat from where they eat since humming birds fly from Mexico to Canada others across oceans and seas people can circumvent the earth in 48 hours we better quit thinking local or national.

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Some info on using cloth TP, but doesn't cover cleaning them post SHTF
    Reusable cloth toilet paper FAQs (+ how to make homemade wipes) - Frugal Living NW

The case against cloth:
    https://preparednessadvice.com/uncategorized/cloth-toilet-wipes-prepper-worst-idea-ever/

My personal opinion is that if you go cloth, everyone gets their own that they use and keep clean, and wash it like a diaper using bleach as a disinfectant. I'd still say to keep a ginormous supply of TP and tampons at your home and any bugout location. I'd still keep cloth at hand along with a large supply of bleach, which is always useful.

I've started using Kirkland microfiber as a washcloth in the shower, and think these could be cut down to make some pretty effective cloth TP squares. They are better than washcloths in the shower and being synthetic might be easier to keep clean and last longer.

Another consideration are the foods you will be eating. Veterans will tell you horror stories about MRE's and their nasty "outcomes". The cleaner your food is going out, the easier it will be to keep clean. This means to me that you need emough TP on hand to give you time to grow foods with some fiber content, and it might be a good idea to have some psyllium (e.g. Metamuscil) stashed away with those buckets of beans, flour, and rice.

Motomom34, TnAndy and Tully Mars like this.
  20. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Pretty simple, the disease propagated in the UK and Europe because they were using left over animal parts from butching as part of animal feed. Large scale culling of herds and field spraying etc. occurred because initially they didn’t know what was causing the problem.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org//Bovine_spongiform_encephalopathy

Mad Cow Disease in Humans: Symptoms & Causes

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Yard Dart
  4. fl4848
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Yard Dart
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart