Where Ya Going....or Are You Already There?!

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

And if it has water, trees, wildlife? Road access? Services available or totally off-grid? Lots of variables.

sec_monkey, Zimmy, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Bingo! I have children and I would like to entice them to move with me. College, mountains (skiing), jobs plus fishing all can be had in the Bozeman area. Collapse of society may never happen. It hasn't happened yet; I want to live my life but live it wisely. If I choose a location that will provide and has what I need, then I will be happy. Doom may never happen and I do not want regrets of living scared and being secluded from those I love because I wanted to play it safe. Make sense?

I am thinking of Maine because Vermont has been invaded, currently experiencing a huge influx of people. But VT does have nice gun laws. IMO The harsh cold keeps out the lightweights therefore Maine will do. Been to Maine, like Maine. I know the damp, bone chilling cold that is up there but I think Maine is the last Eastern state that has not been over run.

SB21, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Had relatives there, too. Good choice.

We are all hoping that a collapse never happens, but there is always a real possibility of road bumps that could last several weeks. If you can find property in your price range I'd steer towards Bozeman or a smaller satellite city that's more reasonable. Alas, Four Corners is already just a high priced. Consider a second look at my future AO as we have discussed - it's much lower priced (housing is 50% less) Bozeman with IMO better skiing and outdoor rec opportunities and also a college town sans rich liberals.

I've never been to Maine, but have like minded co-workers who live there. Definitely viable as you have said. I'm just personally done with cold slushy wet that makes you cold to the bone. I'll take dry cold any day of the week.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2018
    Yard Dart, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm more of a Wyoming kind of guy, Cody or just west is just my kind of place! I like the higher altitudes and the ranch type of life and people! Cody is an awesome "little" town with a hint of old west feel to it, and hasn't got it self in a big hurry or crowded with collage kids and yuppies! Winters are about what you can expect of that area, but not near as windy as the Front Range! Gillette is also a pretty nice area, especially if you wanna be near people and a bigger city, and then there is Laramie, A bigger city with out the big city feel!

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I’m in my preferred BOL. It used to be a better dream. As more and more folks move in from the city I recognize the threat they will pose WROL.

I have a cousin who’s always trying to get me to move out with him in desert west Texas where he has an actual remote fertile valley and clean year round water flow from springs. He’s like minded to us and wants a mutual aid group.

The problem is there’s little work out there for me right now. I’m developing new skills though and may make a move before retirement. Almost certainly after I retire in 12 years.

6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sunlight Basin is beautiful!!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Deadman's Wash ain't quite so nice. (East of Rock Springs) I remember well those canyon winds.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

i have ALWAYS been partial to Jackson’s Hole, but it went to the Millionairs in the late ‘70s, and only has gotten worse ever since...

Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  9. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I lived in Wyoming for a couple years and loved it.. Would have moved back there but I wanted some tree's around me.. Would have a hard time gettin me out of N. Idaho now..

Yard Dart, BlueDuck and Motomom34 like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Don' move to maine, unless you are going to live in the city, which defeats the purpose of moving to maine.
    There is a severe lack of jobs in most of the state.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Living in Nw Montana and getting sent to work in Bozeman often I would not choose bozeman. Gallatin county is the fastest growing County in Montana. Not long ago it was close to 25000 residents not is close to 100k, projected to be 250k by 2025. Also based on talking eith the new arrivals most are from the Uber liberal west coast of kali fornication.

Jason

The biggest problem I have with the bitterroot Valley is the one way in out. Having worked in the valley for the last 5 years it's very crowded. If you go west of lolo you should be ok, South of Darby is ok as well. Allot of big money liberals on the stock farm in hamilton and plenty more waiting to get in.

I moved to a small town Nw of missoula 5 years ago. I'm 10.5 miles up a canyon at the head of a valley withe a 20 acre meadow and 20 acres of small timber, nation forest on 2 sides. About 30 people total in the valley most on board prepers. If money were in the bank I'd buy the 160acres north of me, 20 acres west of me and call it a day. Move some of my prepping friends in from the east coast for additional security and friendship. I've traveled extensively throughout Montana. Anyone looking at moving I can tell you what's what. In Nw Montana I know of allot of off grid remote properties avail.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2018
    Yard Dart, Motomom34 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Just a deluxe nuclear bombshell compound, within 20-25 miles to the nearest large city, but hidden away with a small community of Doctors, dentists, etc., food and water to last years and years. The goal is to survive comfortably not save the planet. If only I had the money!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

One has to have goals...... now get to work and stop screwing around in your "apartment"!!

1. saki monkey
  2. ED GEiN
  3. ED GEiN
  4. ED GEiN
  5. john316
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Tully Mars
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34
  12. ED GEiN